IGNORED

Road Tar

MichiganBob

Anyone come across a product that is great for removing road tar? Tried three different kinds on my wheels today and they eventually worked but it was not easy.

Thanks.

Bob

WD-40 (removes wax etc.) or Simple Green both work well with a little bit of patience and scrubbing.

I 2nd the WD-40 suggestion. Just don't rely on it as a lubricant!

I typically use WD-40. I suspect that the products called 'Goof Off' and 'Oops' that I often see in places like Wal-Mart paint dept. supplies would work well.

kingpinofdisks

Automotive Tire Cleaner from Pep Boys. I think I got the ArmorAll brand. I squirted it all over the rims, let it soak in, then hosed off. I squirted it all over the rims again, then used a sponge to scrub the wheels, then hosed it off again.

Afterwards, be careful - the brakes won't grab until they scrub off all the tire cleaner - I rode at 25mph with both brakes lightly depressed until they got grabby again.

Jerry Johnston

Sure is....I had it take the paint right off the wheels on an Airhead. grin.gif I've been using Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish.

Anyone come across a product that is great for removing road tar? Tried three different kinds on my wheels today and they eventually worked but it was not easy.

Ordinary paint solvent, or kerosene (essntially the same thing) dissolves tar, albeit relatively slowly (but it wonlt affect paint).

I tried four of the suggestions: hand cleaner, kerosene, gumout choke/carb cleaner and WD-40. The WD was the most effective. Who would have thought?

Ride safe,

Bob

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. . .I think lighter fluid will work, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget step 2:

Light a match!

Orrrrr........................

Flame%20Thrower.jpg

But, I think the WD-40's a little more "neighbor kitty" friendly. crazy.gif

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

Creamy peanut butter. Chunky doesn't help. Make sure to wash it all off or you'll be chased down the road by all kinds of critters.

Pat

Here's another vote for WD-40. I've used it with great success on my cages.

+1

Been using it to remove road tar and bugs for, forever I guess. Works good. As a side note, finish cleaning with Simple Green to remove WD-40 film, wheels and tupperware will stay cleaner a little longer.

Carb cleaners of all sorts WILL remove paint and soften plastics.

My vote is for WD40 or any of it's equivalents like CRC.

Seems to make subsequent cleaning easier too.

Also, cleans the black plastic rubber parts really well too.

Archived