IGNORED

R1150RT Toe Panel Removal

kurt1305

I noticed the right toe panel comes off by removing a screw. Does the left panel come off as well, or do I have to remove the whole fairing panel to adjust the throttle bodies?

It is possible to do a "quick" throttle body synch by only removing the right toe guard. Hook up your manometer/twinmax. as usual (this is somewhat harder with the body work in place), then only adjust the right throttle body idle screw and cable to do the synch. This should only be done if the throttle synch is only in need of a slight touch up. I have done this a few times during the riding season. I check the valve adjustment first (again without removing the tupperware), then I check the synch. I usually don't need to adjust much. you will find that as these bikes age, they do not need much adjustment.

Rob

It is possible to do a "quick" throttle body synch by only removing the right toe guard. Hook up your manometer/twinmax. as usual (this is somewhat harder with the body work in place), then only adjust the right throttle body idle screw and cable to do the synch. This should only be done if the throttle synch is only in need of a slight touch up. I have done this a few times during the riding season. I check the valve adjustment first (again without removing the tupperware), then I check the synch. I usually don't need to adjust much. you will find that as these bikes age, they do not need much adjustment.

Rob

How do reach the fitting for the left TB port, and how do you verify the timing is at TDC? I don't see how to access the timimg cover port. As best I can tell, I'll have to remove the tupperware for both of those. Of course, I plan to do the brakes and clutch soon as well, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

How do reach the fitting for the left TB port, and how do you verify the timing is at TDC?

You can reach between the back of the cylinder and the fairing to reach the vacuum port on the left TB. It's a little tricky but doable. With the valve covers off, you can use the arrows on the camshaft sprocket or a screwdriver in the sparkplug hole to verify TDC. For a valve adjustment TDC doesn't have to be spot on, there's a pretty wide range on the compression and power stroke where all the valves are closed.

Really the thing to remember on all this though is that this is not the right way to do a TB sync.

The whole removable right toe panel, adjust the TB sync with the right brass screw, "quicky" approach, dates back to the early, early oilheads. The tupperware, and thus the removable right side only toe plate was just carried forward R1100RT to R1150RT.

To do it right, you've got to get to the cable adjustments, and that means all the tupperware has to come off.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I hoped that since they provided access on the right, I was just missing something on the left. I was going to put off the brakes and clutch for a couple of weeks, but now I have no excuse since it all comes off anyway. I just hate futzing with tupperware when it isn't necessay. Since I got my ministan today, I really don't have a good excuse. smile.gif

Clive Liddell

Even with the LH toe panel out it's virtually impossible to reach anything. I made mine removable and have never removed it for the above reason - all I have gained is that it it rattles slightly now. ;>)

Even with the LH toe panel out it's virtually impossible to reach anything. I made mine removable and have never removed it for the above reason - all I have gained is that it it rattles slightly now. ;>)
+1

It all became clear when I removed the tupperware. Obviously not designed to be removed. Other than being time consuming, the panels weren't that bad. The hardest part was figuring out how to adapt the Twinmax's larger tubes to the TB's smaller fittings. Turns out the TB's were in perfect synch already, and only the exhaust valves needed adjustment. clap.gif

Archived