IGNORED

Heated Seat for the RT

aussieotto

I have a 2006 RT1200. I must admit that I didnt think the heated seat would be something that I would care about. After a couple of long trips I find

A: I want a after market seat

B: I realy dont want to give having a heated seat.

I am looking at a Corbin or Sargent Seat. Both are avaialble with heaters.

The corbin has a internal switch. Sargent recommends you use a external controller ( I need another controller external on the bike like a hole in the head).

I am interested if anyone has used these? Did they intergrate into the orginal seat controls?

Also I did have a Day Long Seat on a GS a couple of years ago. Ut was great but doesnt look like they support seat in the seat. Has anyone h ad a heated seat built by any of the customer seat builders.

This is all made somewhat more complicated as I live in Australia so there is extra delay with shipping Customs etc,

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

I have the heated Corbin on my R1200RT. The saddle itself is awesome as far as comfort is concerned. thumbsup.gif

The heater does not wire through to the OEM switch unfortunatly. It only operates via the rocker switch mounted on the left side of the saddle,

and it's either on or off (oppose to the OEM's high and low settings).

I'd suggest using a Rick Mayer. He makes them custom. I love mine. He uses the same pan so all of the stock heating still works. Here is a picture of mine. Let me know if you want more info. I've turned several people onto him and they all love it.

734983-BikeSeat012_lowres.jpg.963223f1dbdf6d2849df492f039a7e85.jpg

Another vote here for Rick Mayer. I had my seat done by him and recently tested it on a 4500km ride. The seat heaters work like stock and the seat is very comfortable. I did stretch of 450kms without putting a foot down. I couldn't be happier.

I'd suggest using a Rick Mayer. He makes them custom. I love mine. He uses the same pan so all of the stock heating still works. Here is a picture of mine. Let me know if you want more info. I've turned several people onto him and they all love it.

I'm in the same boat. I have a standard non-heated seat. Will Mayer or Russel sell a seat which "plugs" into the integrated system or do you need to provide the BMW heated seat for them to work with?

Mike

Wheaton, Il

06 R1200RT

I had to send my heated seats to Rick Mayer to be rebuilt. I think Russel is the same way. Rick will do an exchange. You give him a cheque for the cost of the seat, he sends you the new seat and you send back your old seat back in exchange. If he doesn't get the old seat back he cashes the cheque you gave him. I think you have to have a heated seat to exchange for a heated seat. I don't know if he would exchane heated seats for non-heated ones.

One question though - if you have non-heated seats does your bike have the wiring in place so that you can use the BMW heated seats? For some reason I thought that bikes that were sold without the heated seat option didn't have the wiring either but I could be wrong about that.

I'm in the same boat. I have a standard non-heated seat. Will Mayer or Russel sell a seat which "plugs" into the integrated system or do you need to provide the BMW heated seat for them to work with?

Mike

Wheaton, Il

06 R1200RT

I purchased the Rick Mayer heated seat also. Sent in the deposit and he used his R1200RT heated seat pan and I sent mine to him after receiving my Mayer saddle. Saddle is great and the heated seat functions as OEM.

Nice pic of the Mayer seat. Does anyone have a pic of the Russell seat that could post it here? I am considering a new seat and would very much like to see a pic of that saddle. Thanks in advance for your response.

I had to send my heated seats to Rick Mayer to be rebuilt. I think Russel is the same way. Rick will do an exchange. You give him a cheque for the cost of the seat, he sends you the new seat and you send back your old seat back in exchange. If he doesn't get the old seat back he cashes the cheque you gave him. I think you have to have a heated seat to exchange for a heated seat. I don't know if he would exchane heated seats for non-heated ones.

One question though - if you have non-heated seats does your bike have the wiring in place so that you can use the BMW heated seats? For some reason I thought that bikes that were sold without the heated seat option didn't have the wiring either but I could be wrong about that.

Mike

Wheaton, Il

06 R1200RT

Actually, that is not correct. He will rebuild your existing seat. You send him your seat along with the payment. He rebuilds the seat for you using your existing seat pan. All stock heating works the same. I went to his house and watched him do mine. I have pictures of the entire process if you'd like to see them.

Here is a seat from Russell and the custom work is by (Its A Rocky) = Rocky Peters - Tacoma, Washington. 253-537-3201

You can look him up, he is a genius.

736454-Picture019.jpg.2f9ba0180af161cfb7cb904c715d0216.jpg

Archived