IGNORED

Body Side Molding ?

Catbird

Having recently suffered a stationary bike tipover on my '05 RT, I've decided to look into my option(s) for protecting my (very expensive) BMW case lids.

I know that BMW offers the self-adhesive rubber scuff guards designed to protect the bottom lid surface, however I was wondering what I could use in the middle of the lid if/when the bike might be resting on its side. Once upon a time, some automotive stores used to offer rolls of self-adhesive generic body side molding that you could cut and apply to suit your needs.

I want the protection, but I don't want to end up with something ugly and tacky-looking on my lids.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

3M makes what they call Clear Fairing Bra. It is to protect the covered surface from things like rock chips, boot scuffs, etc. and it definitely works. You can buy it in bulk and cut it to fit (www.xpel.com). It is not inexpensive so measure it correctly. Actually measure it long so you can pull and stretch the material. I have applied it to the top of my saddle bag lids(just the very top where your boot hits of course), front fender, and the triangular colored pieces above the turn signals (05 RT). If you experienced a stopped tipover this would help but anything other than that and you are looking at a repair/ repainting bill.

Jerry Johnston

You can still buy all kinds of molding from JC Whitney. I used to put a coupls of reflectors on the bags - they were easy and cheap to replace.

I bought a pair of car bumper strips for under $10 and think they look pretty good on my 1150RT case lids. They are on the leading edge and will be the only part that contacts the ground on a tip over.

Because they are intended for use on car bumpers they come with a slight pre curve in the rubber so made fitting very easy. They are supplied with a recessed back with strong double sided tape fitted. The edge of the tap is protected inside the recess and cannot be seen.

0c3568be93f81880d4a5e0e27e0d8651.jpg

Maybe not what you are after but it works for me.

Maybe not what you are after but it works for me.

Ed -

I think that application looks VERY nice!

Tell me more; where can I get those, or something very similar?

Good suggestion BTW. thumbsup.gif

I bought a pair of car bumper strips for under $10 and think they look pretty good on my 1150RT case lids. They are on the leading edge and will be the only part that contacts the ground on a tip over.

Because they are intended for use on car bumpers they come with a slight pre curve in the rubber so made fitting very easy. They are supplied with a recessed back with strong double sided tape fitted. The edge of the tap is protected inside the recess and cannot be seen.Maybe not what you are after but it works for me.

What a hell of a good idea! Where'd you get them? Just a normal car parts place?

Thanks for the positive feedback on my suggestion.

I bought them from a chain of autoparts stores called "SuperCheap" thay cost me AU$9.99. they came in a blister pack and were a piece of cake to apply.

There were a couple of alternative styles made by different companies but all the same type of concept. Some white, some black, some with and others without reflective tape, some flat, others ribbed.

Pretty sure the ones I chose came out of China and you should be able to pick up simmilar units in just about any car outlet shop.

I think if the same product was packaged with a picture of a bike and called "side cases lid protectors" you could probably sell em on E-Bay for $50 a pair smirk.gif

Thanks, Ed. My quest begins tomorrow. While I've never seen a "Super Cheap" store, we do have Pep Boys, Auto Zone and Advance Auto, so that's where I'll begin.

Thanks, Ed. My quest begins tomorrow. While I've never seen a "Super Cheap" store, we do have Pep Boys, Auto Zone and Advance Auto, so that's where I'll begin.

Though not listed in their products, just so you know I'm not pulling your chain here is the link to superchaep cool.gifhttp://www.supercheapauto.com/www/index.cfm?itemid=3

I really would be surprised if there was not a similar item in your own local stores.

BINGO!

I feel fortunate in finding the rubber bumpers within 5 minutes of walking in to the "Advance Auto" store. They look exactly like the ones suggested by Ed without the red reflector; that's good because my case lids already have reflectors. IIRC, I paid $12.88 for a set of two bumpers.

I'm happy. thumbsup.gif

Archived