Tankbag for the R1200ST

1ST

Cheers all. I'm a new member - just picked up a R1200ST 4 days ago. Does anyone have a suggestion for a Tankbag for this motorcycle? The BMW ones are too pricey for me.

Thanks in advance.

i have a 05 ST. cool bike. i used the my old tank form my 1150R. it had magnets in the base for metal tanks, and it came with a map case for the base, midle section that was hard all around covered in nylonish material with side pockets and a top case as well. i paid like $70 dollars on sale at the place wherei bought my first bmer from. the tank bag is made by HEAD. lots of room too! if you are looking for tie down points, there are what seems to be points up front near the tank and also under the tank there is a lip by the seat, which has to be taken off to get too. i leave my rear tank bag straps on and just tied down the front.

734613-bmwstnew.JPG.4660296413f4debe49f21aaf0373f386.JPG

I tried the cheap route with a generic tankbag and I was not happy with. I was able to find a used BMW ST bag here in the classified section. The BMW one works sooo much better, it is worth the cost.

I can even see the gauges with the second tier fully extended. No I don't work for BMW, either.

Thansk for the input - I agree that the BMW one works well on the bike. Perhaps I should just make do with my old Eclipse and save my pennies for the real thing.

Has anyone had any experience with the SW-MOTECH line of tank bags?

Thanks again.

I moved the Big Mak Airbag from my RT to my ST. It works well

In theory, there is no mount for the ST, because the tank is "humped" near the front, causing the Big Mak tank rack to contact the painted surface. However, it just touches, so I put a couple of dots of Velcro on the bottom of the rack to protect the paint and, voila!, it works perfectly.

The following photo wasn't intended to illustrate the Big Mak, but it gives you a little bit of an idea of how it looks on the ST (it's unzipped in this photo):

IMG_1640.jpg

Thansk for the input - I agree that the BMW one works well on the bike. Perhaps I should just make do with my old Eclipse and save my pennies for the real thing.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I just got one. I was going to get around to posting a "review" of sorts of it, but I've done a couple of other posts first.

You can kinda see it in these pics:

bikeshot1.jpg

leathercoveredrelief.jpg

It's been good so far. There's one BIG caveat that it will scratch/chip your tank if you don't dremel a little piece down prior to mounting it - even with the R1200st specific setup. That's been my big complaint with it. I found that out too late and in the middle of a trip, so I'm gonna have to get some touchup paint now. (avoiding paint damage is the whole reason for getting a gas cap mounted tank bag...)

This one is a Trial QL.

Once I get that taken care of, I'll be completely happy with it.

I'll try to take some pictures either tonight or tomorrow and get a real review up.

This is a Chicane tank bag. www.chicaneusa.com

Mt-3.jpg

Map pocket, side pockets, sm. pocket on top for cell phone, expands enough to hold (5) bottles of wine, fold-away rain cover and hide away straps so you can use it like a back pack. I think it was around $139.00

Anybody else here picking up on the mountain theme of our photos? thumbsup.gif

I guess it just goes to show the natural environment in which the ST was meant to operate. What a kick-ass motorcycle! smile.gif

Thanks again.

I use the SW Motec on my GS and RT. When I sold the RT I was going to transfer the mount to the ST but the connecting mount on the bag hits the lip on the gas tank just in front of the gas cap.

I suppose you could trim some off of this or raise the gas tank mount by putting washers under it. This would raise the mount enough to give some clearance above the lip.

Yeah, I just got one. I was going to get around to posting a "review" of sorts of it, but I've done a couple of other posts first.

You can kinda see it in these pics:

bikeshot1.jpg

I see your wizard island and raise you a similar color ST (hidden under gear)

DSC02799_500.jpg

DSC02790_500.jpg

I have the larger BMW tank bag but had to stop using it becasue of my current GPS setup. I miss it.

I'll have to take a look at the SW Motech, now that I've seen it here. I don't have any photos of my R12ST in the mountains yet - but I'm hoping to visit the Cabot Trail this coming weekend - so maybe soon.

sw-motech does make a quicklock mount for the st. i have one on the way from twistedthrottle.com. and all of the tank bags for the quicklock st mount will work on the st ( according to twisted ). thumbsup.gif

Large BMW R1200ST tank bag is the way to go! Worth the bucks for weather, sizer, and stability.

R1200ST_2.jpg

R1200ST_1.jpg

Alaska leather is also great stuff with ultra fast shipping I might add.

I use the Wunderlich Tankbag from my R1100S, and it fits a treat too.

IMGP0947_JPG.jpg

I am working on resizing all of my web images, apologies for the large format blush.gif

Grasslander,

What sizes are the Alaska Leather seatcovers on your ST?

The front seat is a "Medium" and the pillon seat is a "Pillon 2". These are charcoal color. A good fit and pretty stable. The back one has a tendency to silp so I run the seat cover strap through the tool bag strap to help keep it from sliding to the back of the seat. These covers really help when doing the freeway miles. My wife loves the pillon position on this bike. Says the backrest on the BMW top box hits here back perfectly.

Yes, I bought one recently from www.twistedthrottle.com for my ST.

I got the bracket that fits the ST. It works pretty well and uses a bracket instead of straps. I had to keep the bracket a little loose to make sure the bag would connect. I went with Daypack. They recently came out with the Daypack II. Hope that helps.

I am working on resizing all of my web images, apologies for the large format blush.gif

Craig,

What bag is on the tail rack? Looks like it fits perfect.

Craig,

What bag is on the tail rack? Looks like it fits perfect.

It's the Touratech Enduro, http://www.touratech.de/shop_uk/enter.html and it does fit very well indeed.

The above link doesn't take you right to it, but follow the link from there and you'll find it. It's not that waterproof though, but good enough.

I've sandwiched it betwwen the rack with two sheets of perspex and 8mm screwed rod. Absolutely solid and locks with a little travel padlock to deter the opportunist. I keep my chain, puncture repair and some other little oddities in it. Very handy considering the lack of underseat storage. thumbsup.gif

I'll post another picture (will make it smaller) of it if you like.

To the ST Owners with shiny headers.

I see mine which are the not so pleasing brown tint, but a couple of the bikes here have very shiny headers indeed.

Is this the BMW chrome and if so how many miles have the shiny header bikes done, and were any of them in the wet?

Mine lost their shine after 1500 miles on the french autoroute and have been increasingly spreading their rust brown colouring right through to the can.

thanks

If your bike does not have the chrome headers but instead has the stainless steel headers, you can restore to the original shine with fine steel wool and chrome/metal cleaner. I would use this method on my R1100S about twice a year. After cleaning, I would rub with WD40 and the headers would turn a nice golden tint.

How are some of these tankbags for refueling?

On a different bike, I had a standard strap-on bag. It was a PITA to get out of the way for fueling. Worse, I was commuting to work at the time so I refueled every two or three days. On a R1100RS I had a Big Mak bag with the tank filler connection. Much better -- until a f****ng jerk stole the bag.

Does the SW-Motech bag flip easily out of the way?

CraigT

My ST has the extra cost chrome exhaust. 3800 mi and through light rain once.

Peter-

The BMW bag I disconect two snaps at the back and lift off the front straps from the BMW provided "rings" at the front of the gas tank and set it on the seat. Off and On in seconds...

How are some of these tankbags for refueling? [snip]

The SW-Motech bag doesn't just flip out of the way (at least my Trial QL quick-release doesn't). However, I've pretty much got it down for gas stops at this point. Helmet just goes on the mirror or gas pump, gloves on the pillion seat, and the tankbag on the rider's seat. It takes a good 2 seconds to get the bag off. My only problem is that it's so easy that I forget to put the bike on the center stand prior to taking the bag off, so I almost knock it off the seat when that happens (haven't dropped it yet).

Now, getting it back on is a bit tougher. If I have things alligned properly, I have the tank ring ready to be popped in a matter of seconds. Sometimes it's tougher than that, so I have to bend down and visually allign the hooks. Worst case scenario, it takes me 20 seconds.

However, as I mentioned above, I still need to Dremel part of the ring off. Because of this, it's hitting/rubbing on the tank, so I need to get some touch up paint for the tallest point on the tank. Because of this, (I think - I'm dremelling tonight before I leave for the Arnold TD) I can't just pop the bag on, pull the cord, and go. I have to actually open the bag and push down on the plastic plate to get it to seat right. I'm hoping the dremelling will fix this. Hoping...

If not, I can live with it, but it's a pain too. I've never had the bag extremely full, so I don't really know what it'd be like when full.

I pull up to the pump and stay on the bike.

Gloves come off and rest up on the yoke.

Release two rear clips on tank bag.

Release left front hook.

Tilt bag up and twist slightly so the front rests on the forward portion of the tank.

Key comes out of the ignition and goes into tank door.

Gas up.

Reverse to reinstall tank bag.

Gloves back on.

Start bike and reset trip odometer of choice.

Ride 200ish miles and repeat.

How are some of these tankbags for refueling?

On a different bike, I had a standard strap-on bag. It was a PITA to get out of the way for fueling. Worse, I was commuting to work at the time so I refueled every two or three days. On a R1100RS I had a Big Mak bag with the tank filler connection. Much better -- until a f****ng jerk stole the bag.

Just chiming in here with a note that you can use a Big Mak on your ST. There may be more elegant solutions, but I simply transplanted the Big Mak base from my old RT to the ST, with a couple of pieces of Velcro attached to the bottom to avoid chafing the paint. Works like a charm. And best of all, it works like . . . uh . . . a Big Mak!

For safety it is better to not sit on the bike while filling it up. If the tank overflows you could get covered or worse yet burnt if leaking fuel hits a hot pipe and ignites.

Alan

For safety it is better to not sit on the bike while filling it up. If the tank overflows you could get covered or worse yet burnt if leaking fuel hits a hot pipe and ignites.

Alan

Uh, Alan . . . that's why they call it a sport. grin.gif

Alan

Noted. I wonder what the stats on that are.

1-tank-bag-01.jpg

01-tank-bag--mount.jpg

01-tank-bag-bottom.jpg

01-tank-bag-3.jpg

01-tank-bag-2.jpg

01-tank-bag.jpg

My GF has a SWMOTOTech bag on her ST. It works great, and looks very nice.

I had to modify the mount slightly, see arrow, and add a washer under the two front bolts of the base mount, but it works great, even though they say it wont fit an ST!

The back part is removable, and is set up to be used as a fanny pack, and the whole thing works as a carry bag.

Jim cool.gif

HEYO!!!

i made a mistake on the name of the tank bag that i have, thought it was from a company called "HEAD" looked at the writing again its called "HELD".

the bag is cool. has two storage areas, plus a map case. the base is magnetic.doesnt work well on the ST, BUT on the 1150R i had it worked really well. i went to one of those bargin outlets and got the nonskid pad for 2 bucks plus tax, no marks.

http://www.heldusa.com/scotty.htm

this is kinda what it looks like. add the magnetic base, and top case with the main one and there you go. the sides of the main area was a plastic, so i added an extra 12V cigerette lighter power source.

sorry,

the companys name is HELD not head.

here is a basic picture of it too:

i bought the bag in 04, so maybe it was upgraded dropped from the manufactor:

http://www.heldusa.com/scotty.htm

it had the magnetic base, plus rain cover and a second top case. the side name "held" like in the picture is not so dramtic hence why i read it wrong. SORRY! dopeslap.gif

if you look around the site you can see the parts i am reffering too. the base/map case, the middle, and the top with rain cover.

clap.gif

you can see the bag if you got to myspace/bmwsoldat. my old 1150r is there and you can get a good pix of it there.

As you have the good fortune to now own what is perhaps the best and most enjoyable, do everything, Bike they have built,don't hesitate get the bag for the job. I got lucky and found mine on line, but nothing less will do. Get the Givi tail case another winner, way cheaper than the side bags and with stretch tank bag and Givi liner will go anywhere. There.... possibly oldest buyer of 1200st in the world but I don't know it!ukfellow

Archived