IGNORED

Key in r12st ignition wouldn't turn?

bakerzdosen

On my trip last week, I got to a gas station (if you read my ride tale, you'd know there's a tad bit more prior to this part of the story) in Winnemucca, NV (I bring this up to point out that the nearest dealer was NOT close at all) and turned off the engine, opened the tank, and filled up with gas.

However, when I put the key back in the ignition, it wouldn't turn. I'm not talking about the handlebars being out of position, because it was in the "middle" key position. I just flat out couldn't turn the key either way. I removed and replaced it a few times, but to no avail (initially). It literally took me 5 minutes to FINALLY turn they key, and I'm not sure exactly what changed. I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything to do with the EMS - it was mechanical, and EMS doesn't affect that - right? The next time I tried the key (the next morning), it needed to be "jiggled" a bit more than usual, but it still worked.

Now since then, I've been paranoid, but it hasn't happened again. Is this common on the ignition? (It happens on my panniers, but that's different.)

matt

Firefight911

I would attempt to burnish the key for any rough/sharp spots. A little lube down the barrel of the key cylinder couldn't hurt either.

If it persists attempt to ascertain exactly what you are doing it when it goes awry and take it in to the dealer for a fix under warranty.

thumbsup.gif

My 2nd key works a bit like you explain. My main key works flawlessly.

The 2nd key I do notice has rough edges and I have to wiggle it to insert it and wiggle more to turn it.

Guess I better get the old burnishing tool out and have a sit-down in the sunshine with a beer.... at the end of the riding day that is.

Archived