IGNORED

HELP: Clutch Cable Replacement

99R1100RT

Hello,

My clutch cable broke and am experiencing a little bit of RT maintenance/repair fatigue. frown.gif

Is there a way to install the new clutch cable without removing the RT's plastic? I thought perhaps pulling the new one with the old one or someting like that.

What is the minimalist approach to this task? Thanks inadvance.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Is there a way to install the new clutch cable without removing the RT's plastic?

No.

Sorry bro, Tupperware's gotta come off. If you're pretty dextrous, you may be able to thread it in place without removing the tank, but you really are going to have to get the plastic off, if only to access the location where the end of the cable housing seats in a stop on the gearbox/subframe.

Is there a way to install the new clutch cable without removing the RT's plastic?

No.

Sorry bro, Tupperware's gotta come off. If you're pretty dextrous, you may be able to thread it in place without removing the tank, but you really are going to have to get the plastic off, if only to access the location where the end of the cable housing seats in a stop on the gearbox/subframe.

Thanks. At least now I will not waste any time looking for the shortcut. thumbsup.gif

In case it isn't obvious, you only need to remove the right side tupperware.
Well... The clutch is on the left, and if you're going to snake it through, especially with the tank on, well... it's possible.

But I think he's making his life harder than it has to be. Pull both side panels, then the tank. To pull the tank it's only one bolt, two fuel fuel lines, two vent lines (mark them all first) and one electrical connector. You don't even have to drain it if you clamp the fuel lines first. (Presuming this is an 1100 w/o quick disconnects.)

It will make the cable job much easier and give him a chance to give the rest of the bike a good visual inspection at the same time. Plus he'll learn a lot about his motorcycle in the process.

A suggestion. Run a new spare cable along side of the new one that your are installing. Then it is MUCH easier to swap out along side the road, if you ever need to. It also takes up less space than carrying one in the tank bag. I use masking tape on both ends to keep the grock out of the new cable. The lever end is pretty easy to stuff under the fairing. Secure the transmission end with a bread type twist tie. I also carry a spare lever end nipple. Some times they fall out when a cable breaks. Not always easy to find the little thing after it falls out.

photojournalyst
Run a new spare cable along side of the new one that your are installing.

Such a friggin good idea. That is what we call thinking out of the box people! I love it!

Archived