IGNORED

Darien or Kilimanjero?

bwr

I'm looking for a new all-weather riding jacket and have narrowed it down to the Aerostich Darien or FirstGear Kilimanjero. I can get a Kili for $269; the Darien is way spendy at $499 (and a back protectetor adds more $$).

So, I can almost buy a Kili for myself and one for my wife for the price of one Darien. Is the Darien REALLY that much better than the Kili?

I've posed this question on some other forums and a couple of responders say "get the Darien." But, they don't really explain why.

Is there anybody out there with experience with both of these jackets that can tell me why one might be superior to the other?

Many thanks in advance.

I don't own a Darien, but I do have a Killimajaro. My impression is that it is the perfect jacket as long as the temperature is below 70 degrees. In cooler or wet weather, you can't beat it for the price. It just doesn't vent well enough to wear in warmer weather. I haven't crash tested it, but suspect it would hold up well to most street type crashes.

Gordon K Phillips

I have had both a Darien and presently use the Kilimanjero. The Darien is heavier, stiff and less comfortable. I had to go to an extra large, because they don't make it in a tall, only the Roadcrafter series. The Darien gives excellent weather protection and the liner is warmer, it is heavy fleece and has elastic cuffs. Also I found the armour uncomfortable, until it is completely warmed up and broken in. I am very happy with the Kili and just bought one for my wife to wear also and she really likes it. The Kili is great in rain and is comfortable from about 85 down to the 30s. Good luck on your choice. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Hi,

Get a Kili "AIR" that will extend your temp range.

JR356

Yeah, the wife and I have Kili Air's and use them year round in Colorado. with the liner in they work great for low temps and work adequately in the hot summer months.

I'm very happy with them...

Hi,

JR356

I have both a Kili and a Kili Air. Completely different jackets... The Air is just that: airy. The Kili has been proven waterproof on a blitz trip to Sandy Eggo in April.

www.motorcyclecloseouts.com had em on sale a bit ago. Highly recommend these guys.

HTH,

M

Yeah, the wife and I have Kili Air's and use them year round in Colorado. with the liner in they work great for low temps and work adequately in the hot summer months.

Global_Rider

That is what someone suggested when I complained about the extreme heat during my last tour.

The question is, how good is the Kili "AIR" in the rain with all that extra venting?

Don't mean to hijack, BUT. I just decided on a KILI, but don't know if I need a L or XL. None of the dealers here stock them, & I would rather not have to deal with exchange through the mail.

I'm 6'2", 195, wear a 17-35 shirt.

Thanks

The Kili air is darn good in the rain. I've had mine (liner in, of course) in a 2 hour downpour, and was dry.

all the best,

Mike

Don't mean to hijack, BUT. I just decided on a KILI, but don't know if I need a L or XL. None of the dealers here stock them, & I would rather not have to deal with exchange through the mail.

If I was going to guess, I say large. My experience is that they run on the big side. You might give newenough.com a call. They are also the fastest and easiest at mail order exchange, in my experience.

all the best,

Mike

Thanks

Alex,

The Kill Air with the waterproof liner is ok in rain behind fairing protection. Of course the mesh gets soaked along with anything in the pockets. My regular Kill is much better in rain, shedding moisture well.

However, if I see anything more than light rain pending on the radar on my route, I will still go for the rain gear over either. Why? It's far less work to pull the rain jacket out and pull it over the jacket as compared to having to take the jacket off to don the liner and then the coat. Rain stops and I can easily unzip the rain jacket where the liner is difficult to open up. I've even pulled a rain jacket off while on the road (not recommended, I know).

Thanks

I am 6'2", about 180, same size shirt. I wear the Large Tall Kilimanjaro. The tall size gives you a little longer sleeve, which I think you will need. One of the reasons I bought this jacket four years ago (and I really like it) is because it was one of the few with tall sizes. I also have the tall size for the over pants, and also the First Gear mesh jacket.

Thanks

I am 6'2", about 180, same size shirt. I wear the Large Tall Kilimanjaro. The tall size gives you a little longer sleeve, which I think you will need. One of the reasons I bought this jacket four years ago (and I really like it) is because it was one of the few with tall sizes. I also have the tall size for the over pants, and also the First Gear mesh jacket.

thumbsup.gif on the tall size suggestion. I'm 6' 1" and 205 lbs (well about 200 lbs when I got the jacket) and went for XL. I think I'd get L if I were buying again. I wanted to have room to layer under it in the winter, but have found that without the liner and those extra layers underneath it's loose enough that the elbow pads tend to wander around my arms a bit. Also, the liner is warm enough that I don't need as much under it as I thought.

If you go for the mesh overpants with the removable liner, they run true to your waist size. I got my normal pants size and they fit perfectly over street pants.

I do get the feeling that the zippers and such are not quite top of the line, though. I've broken the pull tabs off both the jacket and pants, and find that the velcro is not especially sticky at the collar and wrists. Still, I'd buy both again - they've kept me warm and dry in the winter, and move reasonable amounts of air in the summer.

Cheers,

Karl in NC

For what it's worth, the Kili Air has been discontinued (according to the NewEnough web site). There's still plenty of stock available, but it is not going to be made any longer. I emailed FirstGear to confirm this and received the following:

"It has not been determined yet. Initially, we were going to totally do away with the Kjaro Air due to its sales However, it sales pick up this season. So as of right now, I would say that the jacket will not be made any more.

Daniel Ward

Firstgear Apparel

www.firstgear-usa.com

1-866-302-5676"

So, if you have been thinking about a Kili Air act soon. Myself, I think I'm going to go with the full-fledged Kili.

Thanks all.

I have had both a Darien and presently use the Kilimanjero. The Darien is heavier, stiff and less comfortable. I had to go to an extra large, because they don't make it in a tall, only the Roadcrafter series.

Just a note on the Darien's sizing. It's correct that they don't offer any standard "tall" sizes, but they do offer custom tailoring, including lengthening the sleeves up to 2". I normally wear 36" sleeves in most garments, and my lengthened Darien fits perfectly. This does add another fifty bucks to the cost, though.

I have a large Kili (black) worn on only about 1/2 of 1 trip I've been on. It's the latest (newest version). It's a very comfy jacket and is in new condition. Just not wearing it anymore, I have quite a few jackets and wear my BMW club mostly I'd say. Anyway, if this sounds like what you want I'll sell it to you for less than you'd get it from NewEnough or the like. Let me know. Larry

Maybe late coming in but I'm 6'-2" and 220 and wear the extra large, and recommend it. The waist belt allows for adjustment and having a slightly larger size allows for layered undergarments.

I've got a Darien jacket and pants and am very pleased with the performance. The jacket is the most versatile of any I've owned, to the point that I wear it year round no matter the weather or length of ride. My 3/4 length leather touring jacket and mesh summer jacket haven't seen the light of day in the last year or two. It's expensive for sure, but it flat out performs. They're stiff when new, like the old Levi's jeans used to be. After a while they mold to your body, just like the jeans. They are built to last a good long time. Both jacket and pants have proven to be absolutely waterproof in long duration heavy rain. Between the liner and venting you can get comfortable in about any temperature too. If you can find a fellow rider within a reasonable distance who wears one, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Hi,

JR356

I'll second that. I hardly ever use my regular Kili jacket, the Kili Air has a very good temp range when used in combo with the liner.

Archived