IGNORED

Throttle response R1200RT

FLLawman

Jumped on the throttle prettyhard while passing a car the other day and was surprised when the bike seemed to LAUNCH when it hit 5500rpms. The bike accellerates hard 0-4000 rpms but then kinda flattens out until it hits 5500 rpms. Is there an adjustment that can be made outside of TB sync or valve adjustment? Is this the "surge" I've heard about? The bike has a little over 3000 miles on it. Would the techlusion programmer help? Thanks for any advice. Randy confused.gif

This seems to be a performance characteristic of the R12 boxer engine. All the RT/ST dyno runs I've seen have a huge torque dip (6-8 ft-lbs) between approx. 4,000-4,500 RPM - so much that the horsepower curve goes completely flat. There are other dips in the torque curve, but this is the only one in the "performance band" that brings hp accumulation to a halt, which makes it very noticeable. (The GS has a similar dip that occurs approx. 4,500-5,200 RPM.)

It does seem like they should be able to program out the dip and I've often wondered if this had something to do with gas mileage or emission standards. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has had any luck tuning this out.

ShovelStrokeEd

Doubtful that a Techlusion would help this. A Power Commander PCIII and a knowledgable dyno operator might, might be able to help.

Here is a thought. It might just be the knock sensor(s) on the engine causing the Motronic to cut back the ignition timing. If you are somewhere near a race track, you might pick up some 100 or even 105 octane unleaded race fuel and toss that in, mixed about 75-25 with the fuel you are using now. If the performance improves quite a bit, you may have found the problem. I'm not sure how to check calibration on them but your dealer may know.

Mine was the same until after the 6k service. There's been a noticable smoothing of the power curve between 4k and 5k since then. I'd give it a little time.

I checked with Dyno Jet and they said that they are not going to make a PCIII for the R1200RT any time soon. I had a PCIII on my '05 Warrior and would definitely do it again.

Archived