IGNORED

K Bike vibration

seamotor

Have a 94 K1100RS. It's always buzzed a little at around 4800-5200 rpm, and from what I hear, having a 'vibration spot' is not unusual on these bikes. However, lately the buzz begins at around 3200 rpm and by the time she's up to 5000 rpm the buzzing is enough to make my hands numb. Fuel consumption hasn't changed, and the exhaust manifold isn't obviously loose. In fact, I can't see that anything has changed... could it be a clogged fuel filter? Anybody ever had this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks.

A couple questions, how long has it been since your bikewas tuned?

Are you using an gas conditioners, fuel system cleaners, octane enhancers?

What octane are you using?

JON

Bike was tuned in March of this year, about 2500 miles ago. No additives, conditioners, or cleaners in use. I've always used the highest octane gas (not sure what to call it anymore, hi-test?)which is usually around 91 or 92.

Thanks for your interest, looking forward to your insights.

Run the bike until the gas light comes on and put a tank of mid grade octane gas in it. After about 15 miles, you should notice a difference in the engine. Let me know if this makes a difference in the vibration.

JON

Seamotor: I too ride a 94 K1100RS. It also has a very annoying vibration. On my bike, it sets in around 3400 and goes away until about the mid 4000 rpm range. After that it sets in and stays. I'm beginning to think that the throttle body plates need to be adjusted. I use a "carb-stix" syncronizer. To check, I closed the air by-pass screws all the way. To keep the engine running, I used the throttle lock. I would think that the throttle bodies should be in close syncronization with the screws closed. Number 4 was 5 inches above #1 with 2 and 3 in between. Every place that I've read, they caution to NOT adjust the linkage between the throttle bodies. On the K11OG web site a guy said that after adjusting them his bike runs smoother than it had in 73K miles. I'm very hesitant about doing that though. I've also check over the entire bike for loose bolts. Nothing loose. Can anyone give us some advice?

D Bowden

D,

Just follow the procedure here:

http://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2508

Before you start, check the valve clearances, replace all 4 O-rings on your idle air screws, check for air leaks. If you still have the imbalance, adjust them. I did mine over a 100K miles ago and found them out of adjustment from the factory. Makes a BIG difference in smoothness.

Mick

Mick: Thanks for your reply. I checked the valves about a thousand miles ago. All were within spec. I was unaware that the idle air screws had o-rings on them. I couldn't find them on the Max BMW parts fisch. Might you know where I could get the part #?

Mick: Thanks for your reply. I checked the valves about a thousand miles ago. All were within spec. I was unaware that the idle air screws had o-rings on them. I couldn't find them on the Max BMW parts fisch. Might you know where I could get the part #?

You could just take one out and find a suitable o-ring at a local hardware store. The adjusting screws must come wtih the o-rings installed. Item #20

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...hg=13&fg=15

Mick

Archived