IGNORED

Cockpit taking shape

ednap

I've mentioned before I have a daily commute of 90 km round trip to work so I get to enjoy a fairly decent ride each day. Also mentioned I have been working on a few projects in preparation for a two week 2 up tour of Tasmania with my SO later in the year.

Well I'm pleased to report the projects are going well and the cockpit is taking shape. grin.gif

39731b559c4bd39657799a48e79a133c.jpg

And with commentary.

744acc1f88f16ca6a90c08fea0fa41af.jpg

I still need to add a small section of elastic cord to the UHF radio bracket. It will fit between the two holes either side of the radio and go over the front of the radio. Just an little extra support.

So, to my stock 01 R1150RT I have added;

• Kissan Signal minder.
    MCCruise cruise control.
    Electrification of both my small (in the photo) and large tank bag kits.
    Multivex wide angle mirrors.
    Autocom Super Pro AVi – Kit 300 (Intercom, music radio, UHF, GPS, Phone)
    Uniden UHF 044 hand held CB
    Modified radio to power up from an external switch
    Hella FF50 driving lights on EMP brackets
    Extra inboard switch block on right grip for music radio & lights.

Other minor items I’ve added which are not visible in the photo include;

• Small rack on the lid of the top-box for our wet weather gear.
    Front & rear seat and top-box back rest sheep skin covers.
    Bar risers.
    Taller, wider, tinted screen.
    Fender extender.
    Alarm and immobilizer.

What’s missing?

Cheers.

What’s missing?

A lot of money from your accounts! grin.gif

Seriously, nice job!

Where did you find parts to weatherproof the switches you added near the right grip?

What’s missing?

A lot of money from your accounts! grin.gif

Seriously, nice job!

Where did you find parts to weatherproof the switches you added near the right grip?

Yeah but what's money for if not for spending smile.gif

The switches are a genuine BMW item and pretty much as waterproof as the other switching gear.

...Give us your impression of the multivex mirrors? Pros, cons? Thanks!

Initial impressions as far as additional visibility goes is great.

They certainly allow me to see what's in the lane change area on my right and left without having to turn my head from the front.

As well as the extra width though they also allow me to see behind as well as pick up edges of my bike so I retain a perspective of where other objects are in relation to me. To me that's important because if you have your standard mirrors wide enough to see the lanes left and right but there is nothing in the mirror to identify where you are in relation to those objects there is still some guess work.

On the negative side I am a little disappointed about the edge finish of the actual mirrors. These are made of glass and the edge of the mirror is a bit rough. I would have liked a sealed edge. I'm still looking for a small U profile rubber strip which I could slip over the edges all way around each mirror.

Remember these are overlays and therefore they mount on top of your existing mirrors with double sided tape. They are also slightly curved (not flat) and as such they sit off your original mirrors by up to 5mm or so in parts. This is achieved by different thickness of double sided tape. That simply means parts of the edge of the Multivex mirror is not as well contained inside the original mirror recess as the original flat mirrors were. I guess time will tell how the edges handle things like water and dirt.

Not a big issue but like I said if I can find a plastic or rubber strip with a U profile tight enough to slip over the outside edge all the way around the mirrors I think they will provide better edge protection.

Would I buy them again?

YES without any hesitation. The extra visibility they offer is fantastic.

Looks to me like you pretty much have everything added - must be time to sell! grin.gif

dopeslap.gif Ha ha, now since that would then lead to buying a replacement bike that could also represent the end of my 25 years of marriage and I wouldn't want that.

Also mentioned I have been working on a few projects in preparation for a two week 2 up tour of Tasmania with my SO later in the year.

...that could also represent the end of my 25 years of marriage and I wouldn't want that.

Does the second one know about the first one? lmao.gif

Uh, oh, I think I see my "Bling" crown threatened! Out to the garage to think up some more stuff to do to the GS!

Seriously though, nice work, looking good!

Very nice job. If only you could figure out how to invent a kangaroo detector, you would be all set. From what I understand, that is a major concern over there (of hitting one), just as the deer, elk, etc. are over here.

Very nice job. If only you could figure out how to invent a kangaroo detector, you would be all set. From what I understand, that is a major concern over there (of hitting one), just as the deer, elk, etc. are over here.

Yes, just like deer & elk kangaroos, wallabies and wombats they can all be a problem especialy at dawn & dusk. You can buy those whistles (same concept as a deer whistle in the US) which are supposed to scare them away but all the reviews I've read leave me less than impressed with the effectivness. That was one reason I added the driving lights as I do ride to work during dawn. The extra light gives me more time to see them and react accordingly.

Archived