avon tires

taters

i took my bike to the shop . i have 8500 miles on my metzler z6s.the mechanic told me to bring them back in 1500miles and he wants me to put avons on them. he said i would get even better milage.anyone 2nd that? i am pretty happy with 10,000 miles and i love the grip.

Most people get quite a bit more mileage out of the Avon Azaro and the Michelin Pilot Road than the Metzeler. Of course, there are other considerations. A nice feature of both the above tires is the rear tire life is very easy to read because the tread crosses the center of the tire.

I tried all the main brands of tyres [Metzeler,Michelin, Conti, Bridgestone etc] on my 04 R1150RT (48,000 miles). When I fitted the Avon Azaros I couldn't believe how they transformed the handling of the bike,. It steered a lot quicker and more naturally. In the dry they were superb. In the wet they would slip far too easily on white lines or other imperfections in the road.

I can't help with mileage as I only ever managed to wear out one set of tyres on the bike, all the rest suffered punctures before they wore out!!

I've got a set of Azaros with about 5k miles on them. So no long-life (or not) knowledge. One thing not mentioned by others, however, is how quiet they are. Very quiet.

I had a set of Avons on my R1100RT when I bought the bike. I liked them mostly because you can actually tell the tread depth in the middle of the tire. On the other hand, mine really howled when I leaned the bike over. Even my girlfriend made a few comments about the noise last summer when we went cross country and back.

I can't help with mileage because I don't know how much was on them when I bought the bike. When I got to San Fransisco, I switched them over to the Metzlers (its all the shop had in stock). I've had them on since last August and put about 7k miles on them since. I think they ride great, and with no road noise, but I don't like not being able to tell the tread depth. I'm undecided about what I will go with next.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I found that the one set of Avon Azaros I tried were very sticky, tracked well, and I got in excess of 15,000 miles from them. I disliked their wet weather performance, but others here love the wet weather performance. Good luck!

Yes I myself have 5000 miles one my AV45 AV46 on my R1100RT 96 and very little sign of ware on either plus have to concur that they are far more quiet than the Battale axes i used to use. Very very very pleased with my change to Avons thumbsup.gif

Wife had a set of Avon's on a '04 RT. Had about 7000 miles on them when she totalled it in the rain. I never liked their wet road handling. Really had to be careful on right hand turns in the rain. The Metz MEZ4 were great- didn't like Z6

as you can't really judge wear on them. My wife has an '05 RT that came with Pilot Roads & on my '98 RT I am on my third set of Pilot Roads. Have gotten 12k on a front tire Pilot that could have gone another 1500 to 2000. On a rear Pilot I have gotten right at 10K on both previous sets. They are kinda noisy when leaned over after 2-3k miles on them. The z4 were the best all around performer for handling, wet or dry, but I was getting about 8k out of them.

I haven't run the Z6's yet, but the 2 sets of Avons I ran were the longest lasting tire I've tried to date. I would get 4-5k out of MEZ4's, Pilot Roads last me about 6500 and my Azaros lasted 7200 and 6800, probably had a little left in the second set, but was leaving for a trip. They are also the most nimble tires I've run, almost too nimble. They take a little getting used to as you really need to throw the throttle to it or counter steer back to hold your line. That said I got to really like the way they handled. I also hated them in the wet, which seems counter to the opinions of owners of many other brand m/c's, but I was sliding both ends way too easily on wet roads.

I just replaced a set of Avon Azaros. I could have easily gone to 10k on the rear tire, but the front was cupped so badly I felt I needed to replace them. The front Azaro is much narrower than the same replacement size ME880, and the only slip I ever felt was from the front tire. I have nothing bad to say about how they felt, wet was ok (I slow way down in wet conditions!), and they were quiet. I would not purchase them again however.

Archived