Dog Dancer is looking for a GS and I have found the road for him to ride.

Bud

1156641632.jpg

Of course he will have to do a lot of "tacking" to get up the hill.

Corkscrew Gulch Trail south of Ouray, Colorado.

Had a great time riding it and California Gulch Trail from Highway 550 over to Animas Forks Ghost Town. thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Great picture. What were you riding? The K1100LT?????? I hope not! smirk.gif

No, I was on an ATV. Much more fun than a jeep and safer as it has a short wheelbase and is much narrower.

Lots of fun and we saw sights that you can not see from the highway.

Of course you wouldn't see the same sights from a GS either as they are too big and top heavy to ride on these trails.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Of course you wouldn't see the same sights from a GS either as they are too big and top heavy to ride on these trails.
Nonsense! Thanks for the heads up Bud! I'll add these roads to the wish list... grin.gif

It's all good up there. Done it several times in a Jeep and took a rent a racer Ford Explorer up over Engineer pass from Lake City. Big sign on dash said "Do not take off road" lmao.gif

That was back before ATV's which would really be cool to ride up there. With my 27" inseam all I could imagine is falling down the mountain if I had to stop on a bike and put a foot down.All the dirt stuff is too tall for me.

I've heard that the "road" from Ouray to Telluride is also a sight to see and ride.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I've heard that the "road" from Ouray to Telluride is also a sight to see and ride.
There are two that I know of. One is Black Bear Pass, a one-way and quite dangerous, for the most experienced driver kinda road. The other is Imogene Pass, quite doable in a rented Jeep. We did it on our honeymoon. Sure there are a few spincter clentching moments over Imogene, but if you've ever done even a little 4-wheeling, you'd be fine. Even I might balk at the RT over some of Imogene. That's the thing though. Most of the high ridge work is easy in the average car, it's the couple of rocky sections to get ot the smooth stuff that the problem.
There are two that I know of. One is Black Bear Pass, a one-way and quite dangerous, for the most experienced driver kinda road. The other is Imogene Pass, quite doable in a rented Jeep. We did it on our honeymoon. Sure there are a few spincter clentching moments over Imogene, but if you've ever done even a little 4-wheeling, you'd be fine. Even I might balk at the RT over some of Imogene. That's the thing though. Most of the high ridge work is easy in the average car, it's the couple of rocky sections to get ot the smooth stuff that the problem.

We did Black Bear (even a KTM rider walked his bike down the "hard part"), Imogene, Governor's Basin, Yankee Boy, Corkscrew and California.

In all of our riding, I never saw a GS on any of these trails even though we saw hundreds of KTM's and a few Hondas.

I wasn't trying to dare you to ride a GS over any of these trails though most of Yankee Boy can be done in a car.

Imogene from Telluride to Ouray might be doable on a GS buy I sure wouldn't try it the other direction.

How is your search for a GS going?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I made an offer on a 98GS near Detroit that fell through and am now looking at a super-clean 96 in Dallas with all of the farkles...ohlins, piaas, etc. I really wasn't looking after the Detroit bike, we sort of decided to keep the RT through the rainy season and look again in the spring, when our financial situation would improve.

Of course when you're not looking everything happens... smile.gif

I made an offer on a 98GS near Detroit that fell through and am now looking at a super-clean 96 in Dallas with all of the farkles...ohlins, piaas, etc. I really wasn't looking after the Detroit bike, we sort of decided to keep the RT through the rainy season and look again in the spring, when our financial situation would improve.

Of course when you're not looking everything happens... smile.gif

Ain't that the truth. thumbsup.gif

I went over all those passes in the early 70's and I remember one where you stopped your jeep and if you put your ear to the gound you could hear a big underground river going by and in fact the ground vibrated. Wow, what memories. I remember one road called: "the 45's", meaning it was 45 degrees up and 45 degrees slant. I saw it but no way was I going to attempt it. I was told only a very few special jeeps could do it. Was that baloney? I don't know, but it impressed the heck out of me.

Archived