IGNORED

Pulley Question

Mike T

The little tag on the inside of my bottom pulley broke off. This is the piece of metal that is used to align the pulley/metal round thing that goes through the HES. Is there a way to still use this with the metal piece broken off? It looks to be used to align the pulley with the HES.

ShovelStrokeEd

Just buy a new one, they are cheap and easy to replace.

The tang you mentioned is to index the trigger to the crankshaft. It is more or less clamped between the alternator belt drive pulley and the crank so you could probably get away with eyballing the slot with the mating keyway on the crank but why bother. It is only about an hour's job including retensioning the alternator belt when you are done. Call it 2 hours with the necessary tupperware removal.

Thanks for the response. I just ordered a new pulley kit. I also have some Locktite 380 left over that I can use to attach the HES sensor to the pulley.

Just so you know - the HES sensor is not attached to the pulley. The sensor plate is held on to the front of the engine by three allen bolts, and will not be affected by changing this pulley. The timing shouldn't be affected either, since the tab on the pulley lines up with the keyway.

ShovelStrokeEd

Order of disassembly/assembly.

First off, you don't need a pulley, you need a sensor ring or whatever it is called.

Loosen the alternator to gain some slack in the belt.

Remove crank pulley. A partner or a wrench to hold the rear brake on with the bike in gear will keep the engine from turning over.

Remove the sensor ring.

Install the new sensor ring with the tang inserted in the keyway on the crankshaft.

Replace the crank pulley, this time, holding the pulley up against the sensor ring (with tang engaged) while you get the pulley retaining bolt finger tight.

Torque bolt to spec.

Replace the alternator belt and adjust the tension.

Resotre all covers/tupperware.

Go for a ride with a feeling of a job well done.

On my '95 R1100RS the sensor ring is glued to the pulley with locktite Black 380 adhesive. Is the adhesive not really necessary? I saw a service bulletin on the replacement pulley kit that called for the use of the adhesive.

ShovelStrokeEd

It is kind of a belt and suspenders thing. By all means, if you have the glue and even a good RTV cement will do the job, stick them together. Just make sure the holes are lined up before the glue sets.

Archived