IGNORED

Rt pillion boarding?

s3steve

What meathod are you guys using for getting you passangers on and off the bike?

My wife seems to be having problems with the side bags and draging her foot across the seat.

Any suggestions?

What meathod are you guys using for getting you passangers on and off the bike?

My wife seems to be having problems with the side bags and draging her foot across the seat.

Any suggestions?

Whilst I hold the bike with the brake on and just leaning a touch to the right, my wife stands on the lefthand footpeg (with her left foot obviously) and steps forward over the seat with her right foot, turning to sit. As she steps over, I bring the bike fully upright.

Andy

Whilst I hold the bike with the brake on and just leaning a touch to the right, my wife stands on the lefthand footpeg (with her left foot obviously) and steps forward over the seat with her right foot, turning to sit. As she steps over, I bring the bike fully upright.

Andy

Hm, I'm having a hard time picturing this - "steps forward"?

Anyway, my wife's problem is boarding with the top case mounted (so she can use the backrest). She has a hard time getting her right leg across with the case in the way. Any solutions to that one?

I've thought about putting the bike on the center stand and having her mount first, then me. But I wonder if I would be able to rock the bike off the stand with her on it blush.gif

Aluminum_Butt

I've had the same issues. I've had the best luck with these rules:

Mounting: Grab driver's left shoulder for balance. Put left foot on peg. Stand up on peg with all weight on left leg. Pick right foot up and over seat, then place on right peg.

Dismounting: Stand up on both pegs. Grab driver's left shoulder for balance. Pick up right foot, swing it over seat, then down to the ground.

I've had the same issues. I've had the best luck with these rules:

Mounting: Grab driver's left shoulder for balance. Put left foot on peg. Stand up on peg with all weight on left leg. Pick right foot up and over seat, then place on right peg.

Dismounting: Stand up on both pegs. Grab driver's left shoulder for balance. Pick up right foot, swing it over seat, then down to the ground.

my wife more or less does this with the topcase without trouble. pretty much the only time its difficult for her is when we're going to be doing cold mtn riding and shes got her riding pants w/liner on adding bulk.

She has a hard time getting her right leg across with the case in the way. Any solutions to that one?

I've thought about putting the bike on the center stand and having her mount first, then me. But I wonder if I would be able to rock the bike off the stand with her on it blush.gif

Coach her to step over the seat, not swing her leg over the top case. When she stands on the left peg with her left foot (bracing herself with her left hand on your shoulder), have her stand all the way up. Knee up, then right foot steps over the seat then to the peg, which should be in plain sight for her. A few dry runs and she will have her balancing act down so the bike stays well planted.

If you are so inclined, it's easy to ride off the centerstand with a passenger - though probably rough on the centerstand.

Have fun!

I just asked my wife how she does it - never really paid attention to be honest. I just sit there, with both feet down and holding the brake. Until I hear "Let's go"

To get on, She says she places her left foot on the peg puts her left hand on my left shoulder, and swings her right leg out and over the top box (49L topcase) though she has longer legs and does seem to have a problem.

To get off of the bike, she stands up and pulls her foot across the seat and uses both my shoulder and top case for balance.

Hope this helps.

She has a hard time getting her right leg across with the case in the way. Any solutions to that one?

Coach her to step over the seat, not swing her leg over the top case. When she stands on the left peg with her left foot (bracing herself with her left hand on your shoulder), have her stand all the way up. Knee up, then right foot steps over the seat then to the peg, which should be in plain sight for her. A few dry runs and she will have her balancing act down so the bike stays well planted.

If you are so inclined, it's easy to ride off the centerstand with a passenger - though probably rough on the centerstand.

Have fun!

Exactly how we do it, and no problems. The trick is for the passenger to stand up on the peg, then move the right foot across the passenger seat, not out and over the topcase. It's not hard to balance the bike if she understands that she needs to keep her mass (she'll love that description) centred over the bike, and not out to the side. I always apply the front brake, and lean the bike slightly to the right to start.

Being a wife who broke her arm getting on this bike this spring, I can tell you how I do it now. I get on first and slide back onto the passenger seat, then my husband gets on and takes it off the kickstand. One fall was enough for me.

Being a wife who broke her arm getting on this bike this spring, I can tell you how I do it now. I get on first and slide back onto the passenger seat, then my husband gets on and takes it off the kickstand. One fall was enough for me.

My wife did the same thing a few years ago while dismounting from the Harley (broke her wrist). Our routine is now like yours. I stand on the right side with my right hand on the brake lever. She takes my left hand and mounts the riders seat then slides back. Pretty much the reverse order dismounting. thumbsup.gif

Well I've tried both methods and it seems I need a more flexable wife! blush.gif She seems to drag her foot across the seat no matter which method we use. I do feel more comfortable with her getting on first and then sliding back. I try to make sure she keeps her left foot on the ground until I get on, I don't want to see the side stand break! My SO is 160# and 5'8" so when she steps on the peg with me already on the bike and my 30" inseam I'm worried the bike may get away from me.

I think from now on she'll be getting on first.

Thanks for the input!

thumbsup.gif

I do feel more comfortable with her getting on first and then sliding back. I try to make sure she keeps her left foot on the ground until I get on, I don't want to see the side stand break! My SO is 160# and 5'8" so when she steps on the peg with me already on the bike and my 30" inseam I'm worried the bike may get away from me.

I think from now on she'll be getting on first.

Thanks for the input!

thumbsup.gif

Me too. I really like the idea of her getting on first. Even she was doubtful about my ability to hold the bike up; even with the low seat, I'm still only able to flat foot on one side with the other heal just brushing the pavement. And once the higher preload is dialed in it's even worse.

Archived