IGNORED

First ride on my Sprint...an eye opener to say the least!!

demenshea

Ok...u want the long or short version?

You are passionate riders...so i assume the long will be what you desire.

After all the money was counted and the paperwork complete, i went to leave on Nigel my new Sprint ST. Ok...i have been riding a Vstar for the last year and prior to that a 250 rebel...i was a "cruiser babe" or "biker chick" or whatever but certainly not speed racer or a sportbike gal. Well, things change. I wanted more...more power (power is a ominous thang) more ability to hone in on the twisties and more more more....so, i found this 03 sprint and got it all threefold.

Now, back to today. I dropped the bike leaving the driveway. blush.gif Mind you, this is a bike that has only 9K on it...it has never seen rain nor anything but a spotless garage, that i could have had a picnic in. And i drop it...in less that two minutes. Actually, the fault was all mine. The bike was parked across the driveway, and I decided to jump on and take a very tight right when the bike was facing left. I locked the steering all the way right and gave it some throttle...hahahahahahahahah This bike has 110 HP......need i say more...gotta get used to the throttle control and the fact there is a TON of friction zone compared to the zero of the Vstar. As i went over the curb of the driveway, i know i had no control and decided to give myself even less and squeezed the FRONT brake...whoops...hehehe, a blonde moment...no offense blondes but it is a cliché. Down went Nigel...cursing me as he fell. The previous owner...luckily for me is one buff dude and picked that bike up in less then 1 sec flat...but still pavement and plastic are not friends and Nigel has his first scar. Damn...did i feel like a freakin' newbie. But damn it, that is what i am, a newbie to this machine. I have to remember that.

Well after that...i am sure this poor ex-owner is thinking....sheesh, so much for that bike! Gee, glad i sold it to her so she could destroy it!!!! eek.gif

Ok....i'm over it. I got right back on and rode him and we talked and he said, "girl, get a clue, i can be your best friend or your worst enemy", your choice. We decided to re-introduce ourselves and set a friendlier bond. He was dreamy.

Hot as the ride was, i was wishing for my camelback all the while. I stopped a couple of time for water, each time carefully applying the rear brake as i came to a stop to stabilize the bike. We had no more problems. He is a bit tall for me...31.7 inches to be exact, so i can get my feet on the ground with a 30 inch inseam...but just my toes, no flat foot unless i lean...and i need to be aware of that lean!!

I rode up to Hwy 4 and then to my favorite, Pool Station Road, which i figured would give me a workout, both mental and physical. And that it did...in a big way. One spike jumped into the road i responded with some quick breaking and this time remained up-right!! :D He ran along side of the bike and then back in front of me to his original side. It was rather exciting. The bike handled exceptionally and Nigel applauded me for my not exiting my seat!

From the frying pan into the brushfire. As I was really beginning to feel pretty good, I rounded a corner at about 65 and there in the middle of Mokelumne Hill was a brushfire nearly jumping the road. There were fire crews trying to get up the slippery hill and a CHP stopping traffic. No warning...just "here i am in the middle of the road!" He was trying to move traffic only one direction at a time as emergency crews were trying to get firefighting equipment into the site. Moments later, we were moving forward and from that point until after Drytown, the highway was filled with emergency vehicles. I assume they kicked that fire's butt...there were certainly enough responders.

Well....there it is. My first ST ride. dopeslap.gif Nigel is tough, tall and powerful and I am a newbie again...expanding my riding vocabulary, defining new horizens and seeking clarity as i push the envelope. I am reborn, as a sport-tourer...now let me see what that really means. cool.gif

cheers,

d

Now for a couple of bike pix...he is rather handsome...

newsprint2.jpg

newsprint3.jpg

Scratched bag

sprintscratch.jpg

pedro cerveza

Good Story! Enjoy the new bike. Speaking for myself (and probably more than a few RT owners here) "the drop" is something you need to get out of the way. You got yours out of the way early. Now you won't have to do it in front of a bunch of other riders. Just think of the scratches as a badge of honor.

Good Story! Enjoy the new bike. Speaking for myself (and probably more than a few RT owners here) "the drop" is something you need to get out of the way. You got yours out of the way early. Now you won't have to do it in front of a bunch of other riders. Just think of the scratches as a badge of honor.

Yeah. Should have told everyone that the scratches came during the ride. A deer/dog/coyote/coypu running from the fire you described jumped from the bushes and hit the bag as you were passing. At least it would sound much more dramatic that way.............

But the Sprint ST is a pretty decent ride. Local dealer here sells BMW and Triumph. No more Urals though.....

Congratulations on the new bike. thumbsup.gif Don't sweat the small stuff (scratched saddlebag). Remember it's all about the road, touring and how good the bike feels & looks in motion - not how the bike looks standing still.

This weekend calls for touring. party-smiley-017.gif

Should have told everyone that the scratches came during the ride. A deer/dog/coyote/coypu running from the fire you described jumped from the bushes and hit the bag as you were passing. At least it would sound much more dramatic that way............

Errrr.. ummm...YA that's what i meant...it was a huge jackalope running from the open flames and seeing my green bike, immediately thought of moist grassy field and tried to jump in and splat...darn thang anyway...sure scratched up my bag.... lmao.gif

Davitt_Potter
I stopped a couple of time for water, each time carefully applying the rear brake as i came to a stop to stabilize the bike. We had no more problems. He is a bit tall for me...31.7 inches to be exact, so i can get my feet on the ground with a 30 inch inseam...but just my toes, no flat foot unless i lean...and i need to be aware of that lean!!

Hi D from another D! smile.gif

When you say applying the rear brake, you are using in conjunction with the front, aren't you? I know your drop probably unnerved you, but I hope you're still using the front brake as your primary brake... right? smile.gif

Congrats on the beautiful new bike. The wife doesn't think I should sell my Harley, so a used ST or R1150RT is on my short list.

Thanks for the great story!

Nice post! Sorry about the drop, but it happens to all of us. As one rider said, there are only two kinds of motorcyclists - those that have dropped their bikes and those that will.

I've been riding for 43 years and have about 30,000 miles on my current RT in the last 2.5 years. Lots of experience. Two weekends ago my son and I were on a ride together. We pulled into a gas station, I put the (fully loaded) RT on the sidestand, got off, put it up on the center stand. You can see where this is going, right? Gassed up, tank bag back on, sit on bike, push off center stand and pogostick off the sidestand which is still deployed. Boingo, slow and rude tipover to the right, could not stop it even though it happened in super-slow-motion. Now I have a new set of scratches in the right side valve cover and saddlebag. My son was incredulous, he had trouble helping me pick the bike up because he was laughing so hard.

Lesson: one kickstand at a time! tongue.gif

Doug

Oooo, nice choice on the bike! That's a nice looking ride... I know what you mean about it being a little tall. I ride a ST1100, and it has a 31" seat height (or somewhere around there). With my 28" legs, it's a little scary sometimes! I get over it once I'm on the highway, though. smile.gif

Congrats on the sled...

The Sprint is a cool bike. Huge JUMP from a Rebel. There are a few Triumph's I would not mind owning. A windfall would put a Speed Triple in my garage. What a gorgeous bike!

So to the point of your post. In addition to the Rebel, did you try any other bikes for your first bike? Any other ideas about other bikes you thought about for your first? I may find that I'm going to have to get Jamie, my GF, a road bike.

Oddly enough, this whole thing started when I mentioned to her Jamie's generosity in offering Maynard to another rider here on the board. He said that he would ride on the back with Leslie. First time I saw the two of them, Leslie was behind Jamie. Times change. So my GF said that was no big deal and that I would ride behind her. My mistake, I hesitated. So now she seems determine to go for an M class.

So, I put her on a Yamaha 125 dirt bike today. She has never riden before and she took off with a little wheelie and was speeding around the horse corral, no problem. She was turning the bike no problem. Now she want to do MSF. So proud.

Love it when women ride. Welcome here btw.

I rode an 84 Honda Shadow VT700 for 2 or more years. Dumped it over a couple of times (always in a stopped position) and then was on my way. I was ready for a change in bikes and my wonderful fiance' recently bought me a BMW R1100RA for a wedding gift. Test drive went well, so he bought the bike. On the way home a couple of misadventures. #1 Was that I accelerated, on the on ramp of the interstate, just like I would have on my old Honda and the front end of the bike raised up,luckily my instinct QUICKLY told me to drop the throttle. Power, power, power compared to my other bike. #2 Stopped at a stop light and wasn't sure I was in first gear. Couldn't find the gear lever (moving my foot in the same direction I would have on the Honda) and made the HUGE mistake of "barely" looking down, which tilted my bike enough to the right that I did a slow laydown. He was following me in his vehicle, so he hopped out and raised the bike and I got in his SUV and he drove the bike to the nearest parking lot. Barely broke the right signal and skinned the heck out of my hard bag, and the cylinder head. In retrospect, all I had to do was put my foot on the peg and I could have found the shift lever. Live and learn. I cried all the way home and he was calm, as usual. He fixed the turn signal with epoxy and the rest is still there to dent my pride. Like your bike, this thing looked perfect before I got ahold of it.

That is not all, there is a #3. Trying to make a tight turn takeoff in a parking lot (sound familiar?) I must have, once again, hit the throttle a bit heavy and I went down exactly like you did. Skinned the bag more and the blinker cover popped off again. This is going to be a big learning curve, but if he will have patience with me, I am determined to make the adjustment.

Friday he ordered me a set of engine guards and a new cylinder head cover and a new bag lid (which he will wait to put on for a bit) Guess he is planning on hanging in with me on the learning curve. The point is, Demeshea, I feel your pain.

Two different bikes, two different riding positions, lots more power and old habits die hard for me.

I don't understad why someone would have a bike that they could only reach the ground with their toes. Seems like more drops can be expected. It's inevitable that sooner or later you'll be parking or stopping on sloped ground. Even a slight slope will be tricky. Good Luck!

I don't understand why someone would have a bike that they could only reach the ground with their toes. Seems like more drops can be expected. It's inevitable that sooner or later you'll be parking or stopping on sloped ground. Even a slight slope will be tricky. Good Luck!

Hi, my name is Andy and I am a Short Person. It is possible, easy even, to learn how to ride a bike only putting one foot down. If I did not do this I would be limited to bikes that are not suitable for the purposes that I want I bike for. Why should I not have the bike I want just because I cannot flat-foot with both feet? I have had to deal with the short-stature issues with my bikes for the last 35 years and it is not a problem with the right techniques. I am sure long-legged folk have problems that they deal with, such as lack of leg room between seat and pegs, or knee room to tank/fairing. Would you wonder why they might like an particular bike?

All that is needed is control of the bike. That demands the right technique at the right time. I have never found a time or place when I needed both feet flat-footed, just the correct one.

Andy

I don't understad why someone would have a bike that they could only reach the ground with their toes. Seems like more drops can be expected. It's inevitable that sooner or later you'll be parking or stopping on sloped ground. Even a slight slope will be tricky. Good Luck!

I am guessing you are either tall or haven't ridden dirt bikes/dual sports/motocross bikes. Being 5'7.5" with a 29" inseam, and loving dual sports and dirt bikes, I have learned that a tall, light and narrow bike (like my DR650 with a 35" seat height) is very easy to handle even if you can only get one foot down at a stop. Just lean your bum off the seat, plant your foot down, and you're good to go. OTOH, this doesn't work so well with some of the bigger, wider, heavier street bikes. On those, tip-overs at zero mph should be expected and are sometimes unavoidable for those short of inseam and/or height.

Well you are right about it being a good-looking bike. " Well, things change." you say. Things may have changed in your dreams , but I am thinking that bike is going to lead you to hurt yourself. You'll find yourself in the Cali hills trying to ride way over your head. From your remark about shying from the front brake, It sounds like your cruiser had way more ride than you were gonna use. Bikes today are very capable, way more than most riders. Not trying to be a grump, but " more more more " you sound like a train wreck waiting to pull out from the depot.

The Sprint is a cool bike. Huge JUMP from a Rebel.

Love it when women ride. Welcome here btw.

First off i need to clarify, i didn't go from a rebel directly to the sprint...i am a fairly new rider having ridden for just over 2 years, however I rode my rebel for about 4K miles and then bought the 1100 Vstar and have ridden it 18K miles many of those being longer trips. I am not a nut, nor do i have a death wish. I am a passionate rider who loves motorcycles and riding and is perpetually learning to ride better.

I hope your GF takes the MSF as it is a good solid way to begin riding. And thanks for the welcome, btw.

This is going to be a big learning curve, but if he will have patience with me, I am determined to make the adjustment.

Thanks man, i know about this!! It is a learning curve and knowing that I am a decent rider will help me through this "breaking in" stage. I am determined that I am done with this drop phase. I am going to get my seat carved down a bit so it has a better fit.

I didn't mean to start a pi**ing match here regarding rider size vs. bike size, however I have to add that some of the best riders i know are inseam challanged. I don't see that stopping them from ridinig all types and sizes of motorbikes. YES, it is more challanging. YES, it takes time and YES, with proper riding technique we are able to ride any bike.

All that is needed is control of the bike. That demands the right technique at the right time. I have never found a time or place when I needed both feet flat-footed, just the correct one.

hear hear!!! well said.

OTOH, this doesn't work so well with some of the bigger, wider, heavier street bikes. On those, tip-overs at zero mph should be expected and are sometimes unavoidable for those short of inseam and/or height.

Ya, sorry to say, you are right. Once they begin descent there is no rescuing the drop. I just get out of the way. Now mind you, i don't experience this all the time. I dropped my vstar a total of three times...never dropped the rebel (but why would someone?) and my Sprint...well, guess i will have to keep count. I hope to be finished once i get the seat cut down. But will keep you posted!

" Well, things change." you say. Things may have changed in your dreams , but I am thinking that bike is going to lead you to hurt yourself. You'll find yourself in the Cali hills trying to ride way over your head. From your remark about shying from the front brake, It sounds like your cruiser had way more ride than you were gonna use. Bikes today are very capable, way more than most riders. Not trying to be a grump, but " more more more " you sound like a train wreck waiting to pull out from the depot.

Ouch...nothing like a curse to make one feel more secure. I know just what i bought here. I had ridden a Sprint only one week prior to my buying one for a 143 mile test ride. The bike was virtually the same as the one i have purchased.

I haven't put 21K miles on by hanging in my neighborhood or riding the local poker runs, in fact i have never ridden a poker run. I am a RIDER, who rides the passes, looks for the road less taken, and loves a challange. I like goaty trails and DON'T HAVE A DEATH WISH. I ride within my abilities and have yet to find my limits. Well, maybe you are right and I have found it, in this bike. Time will tell, however i feel it is premature to jump to those conclusions you so easily stated. As to being "over my head", that remains to be seen. My cruiser has plenty of power and has been a wonderful ride, only i was scraping the bottom side on all the tight curves, so i felt i needed a bike that offered more clearance, so i rode my husbands Vstrom on the last distance ride and found it more manuverable and fun! Hence the sprint.

What i need to discover here, is if this riding position is too aggressive. It may be, and if in fact this is true, i will either sell it or trade it for a bike with a more standard seating position.

I never felt i was more capeable than my cruiser, only that i was no longer comfortable on the roads i have been riding and was completely spend by the end of a long twistie encounter. I felt there must be another bike that would more easily take on the twisties and still offer me touring comfort. I am not trying to compete with anyone, only riding my own ride, enjoying the scenery and open air.

Believe me when i say, i have NO desire to be over my head, nor wreckless. I do ATGATT and ride within my abilities. I am not sure where you got that i was a squid looking for an accident. It is not the case. I simply presented a more "humorous" version of the account, didn't mean to sound flippant.

d

Sorry this is turning into a war of ideas on inseam vs. bike. I am not exactly NBA center material and I've ridden (without dropping) a lot of DP bikes. The earlier (98 or so) Triumph Tigers weren't exactly short bikes and I had no problem with it, even though I would have needed about another 3 - 4 inches of inseam to flat foot it. The only time it's a problem is when you stop. When I am on a long ride I typically run my seat up to the top notch so I have more leg room when I ride. For shorter rides I lower it. Then again, there's a woman that teaches the MSF class here and she's WAY shy of being 5' tall. She rides a Wing and has no problems hadling it. My advice is to ride what you like and become familiar with it. On a long trip the long reach to the ground is no big deal. Just learn how to handle it on one foot. Now let's see some ride pics with the Sprint in the foreground.......

Believe me when i say, i have NO desire to be over my head, nor wreckless.

wreckless

This is almost so freudian it is LOL.... lmao.gif i meant reckless!

cheers,

d

" Well, things change." you say. Things may have changed in your dreams , but I am thinking that bike is going to lead you to hurt yourself. You'll find yourself in the Cali hills trying to ride way over your head. From your remark about shying from the front brake, It sounds like your cruiser had way more ride than you were gonna use. Bikes today are very capable, way more than most riders. Not trying to be a grump, but " more more more " you sound like a train wreck waiting to pull out from the depot.

Okay... counting to 10 and taking a breath.

Ouch...nothing like a curse to make one feel more secure. I know just what i bought here. I had ridden a Sprint only one week prior to my buying one for a 143 mile test ride. The bike was virtually the same as the one i have purchased.

When I first bought the RS, I felt like I was riding a huge bike. It took six months to get adjusted to it! I just took it easy and rode my own ride. Still do. I just do it faster. cool.gif

Inseam challenged only presents itself as a problem when stopping. You minimize drops by being careful in your stops and keeping the handle bars straight ahead when you stop. I used to hold the KRS up with my toes and my legs back just to practice the balance. It took very little pressure on the road surface to keep it balanced. Very few of us can take the weight of a 600 lb bike on one leg. So don't try. :-)

Ride careful and have fun. There.... I removed the curse. clap.gif

Nigel is not outspoken

But he likes to speak

And loves to be spoken to

Nigel is happy in his work

Were only making plans for nigel

He's da bike...and does he like to speak!! I now only speak softly to him as we are just getting to know one another! cool.gif

As far as plans go, we are taking it one day at a time...he is very headstrong.

cheers,

d

I have never found a time or place when I needed both feet flat-footed, just the correct one.

What's worth mentioning here is that for any of our short-inseamed friends who are going to be doing the one-footers fairly regularly, pay close attention to the ground and keep yer feet out of the oily area at the stop, or..... smile.gif

One last comment on the inseam thing. When I toppled over my R1100R, I can flat foot it with the seat on the lowest level. It comes down to adjusting to the different riding position and the difference in power in my "female" opinion. I am fairly tall and notice that several BMW riders don't flat foot their bikes, but still manage very well. My 2 cents worth.

Archived