How to bike-to-bike?

DMH

After sorting out all the intercom choices, I went with Autocomm - I get on-board music and driver-passenger talk so far - which is what I was initially after - but what do I need to go bike-to-bike, especially - what's on the "other" bike ?

I am asking for enough detail and recommendations go understand first, then shop, then ultimately install...

thanks, all...

You and the other bike need to agree on a type of communication service. Common choices are FRS, GMRS, MURS, or CB.

I chose GMRS. You need a license (just agree to the rules and pay the fee).

Find out what your buddies use.

Small CB?? I have the J&M 2003 system. I like it. Got it at Sierra-MC.

Rob Lessen

Arma, KS

'73 Honda XL250

'91 R100GSPD

'96 R11RS KS BOOP Plate(hers)

'05 R12RT KS IBMWR plate

Best move was going Autocomm....That way, you can go CB, FRS/GMRS, Amateur Radio (if so licensed) just by changing the type of adaptor that plugs into the autocomm. With a little pre-planning, you can acquire different radios that use the same adaptor. Personally I use all three depending on if I ride with a group or solo. My wife and I are both licensed ham operators, so we can actually run either simplex FM with a few miles range or thru one of the local repeater systems which greatly increases the range. Its your call....

Ride Safe

That's what I was looking for. I want to be able to change the unit from Bike to Bike. Normally, I won't use the CB unless I ride with a group so equiped. But it seems that every bike that's on the upper end, at least Honda and Harley's comes with a CB radio.

I guess the problem now is how to interface the unit with my GPS. The GPS, has XM and an MP3 player. I have been reading the thread on the Autocom. It seems to provide the answer but I'd have to shift it bike to bike also. The means I'll have to do some planning on wire runs and device locations.

Also, the GPS has bluetooth, problem is that it's only good for one system (audio and phone but not audio and audio). The only way to get the passenger involved is to piggy back a second bluetooth device on the audio out or use something like the Autocom. That puts me back into hardwired connnections to the helmets (future consideration, I don't have a bluetooth helmet system as yet).

However, the J&M device seems like the ticket, pricey but right device.

I think I am partially getting the idea... confused.gif

I'll ride with the Autocomm, and say a FRS radio... hooked to my Autocom, with VOX or PPT button... the "other bike" will have only a FRS and matching headset/ speakers & mic ? The other bike does not need another Autocomm as an interface, is that right ?

They only require an Autocom if they too want to be able to use the Autocom as the controller for the CB and other inputs.

If not, then just a headset attached to their CB or whatever.

I think I am partially getting the idea... confused.gif

I'll ride with the Autocomm, and say a FRS radio... hooked to my Autocom, with VOX or PPT button... the "other bike" will have only a FRS and matching headset/ speakers & mic ? The other bike does not need another Autocomm as an interface, is that right ?

You're right. If someone wants ONLY bike-to-bike, then an Autocom Kit 21 (for use with Kenwood radios) or Kit 23 (for use with Motorola single-pin radios) will suffice.

Using an Autocom intercom system as an interface for a B2B system is unnecessary unless you WANT an intercom system for when you both ride on the same bike, or unless you also want to interface music, radar detector, GPS, etc. into your comm system.

Archived