IGNORED

90 degree valve stems

Grayrider

Does any one know where I can pick up some 90 degree valve stems for my '99 RT? I'm ordering a new tire and wanted to go ahead and get two ordered. I did a quick Google search but wanted to make sure that I didn't need ones that are made specifically for my bike. Thanks.

There is no Right Angle valve steam listed in BMW's parts book. I bought a "Right Angle Screw On" from Bob's BMW - it is not to be left on while riding. You might look into getting a $30.00 air compressor which will fit without the need for an adaptor. I bough both after a flat in the Utah desert.

Does any one know where I can pick up some 90 degree valve stems for my '99 RT? I'm ordering a new tire and wanted to go ahead and get two ordered. I did a quick Google search but wanted to make sure that I didn't need ones that are made specifically for my bike. Thanks.

I like the 45 degree angled ones. The 90 degree ones seem to put the opening too close to the rim for using a real tire chuck.

Code: 17-561

1 1/4" angled valve stems for .453" rim holes.

Price: $0.99

Shipping Weight: 0.10 pounds

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

The have the short straight ones for the rear wheel too.

Mick

I like the 45 degree angled ones. The 90 degree ones seem to put the opening too close to the rim for using a real tire chuck.

Code: 17-561

1 1/4" angled valve stems for .453" rim holes.

Price: $0.99

Shipping Weight: 0.10 pounds

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

The have the short straight ones for the rear wheel too.

Mick

Mick, maybe I'm missing something but I could not find what you were referring too. At home I have no problem adding air to my tires as I has a small pump that easily attachs to the valve stem. It's when I'm on the road that presents a problem. Most placed that have air I have an extremely difficult getting the chuck to connect with my front valve stem.

I had my bike shop fit 90 degree stems a while back when I get the previous set of tyres. They work really well.

They do appear to sit further away from the rims than those I see for sale on E-Bay and the bend makes checking and adjusting pressure very easy.

He had no trouble supplying them.

I installed these and they are great. They make for easy access for checking and adding air. Admittedly I don't check it very often any more since I added smartire but still when I need to air up I really appreciate them.

They are amazingly high quality for a cheap import. I have tested mine to 130mph.

At the time I did the change I posted a couple of threads on:

1. Stresses on the valve stem at high speeds. It is not negligible and I have not installed these stems on my sportbike for that reason.

2. The rear wheel has a mold joint/bead that gets in the way of a metal type valve stem. I machined mine off (I have a bridgeport). You could easily file it off in the area of the valvestem.

--jerry

I use these Italian made billet racing 90 degree stems and they work great. Quite a few from this board use them as well, that's how I found them. You will find that the rear wheel is too wide to allow the 90 on the rear and still get an air chuck on the stem. Besides, there is no need for a 90 on the rear as there is ample space to get at the stem, not like the tight space of the front wheel.

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/pqxpy

The company is Motowheels, they supply racing parts and accessories.

The link will lead you to the stems for "Japanese" size valve stem openings. This is the size used by BMW wheels.

They are sold in pairs. I went in with a friend and split the cost. They will last forever, so you only buy them once.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
There is no Right Angle valve steam listed in BMW's parts book. I bought a "Right Angle Screw On" from Bob's BMW - it is not to be left on while riding. You might look into getting a $30.00 air compressor which will fit without the need for an adaptor. I bough both after a flat in the Utah desert.

Oh you mean one's like this confused.gif

RT1150pictures001.jpg

and this

RT1150pictures003.jpg

Archived