IGNORED

Schuberth C2 Shield Problems with Rain

Pictou

I have a Schuberth C2 helemet which I love. However on a recent trip I twice had serious problems with the face shield in heavy rain. On both occassions the face shield became almost impossible to see through (couldn't even read the GPS) and the only way to continue riding was to raise the face sheild out of the way. Since I wear glasses this is not a great solution as they get water on them which causes its own problems with distortion and the like.

I have never had a face shield do this before. I know there is an anti-fog coating on the face shield which appears to work by absorbing moisture (at least that is what the manual that comes with the helmet implies). It seemed to me that what happened was this coating on the interior somehow became saturated with water causing blurring and distortion of vision. I noted on one occassion that it actually felt sticky on the inside of the helemet. I have ridden with this helemet in the rain before without this happening. On the two occassions that it happened to me (both on the same day and on the same trip) it was raining very heavily. When I say I could not see I really mean it was like being almost blind. Even when I stopped and walked inside if the face shield was down I could not read the signs in the motel lobby.

I have never had problems with the shield fogging in cold weather (at least nothing out of the ordinary). However this was a problem that I have never experienced before on any other helemet that I own. Just so you know I have down a lot of riding in the rain so I know what to expect. It was very disquieting as one of the times it occurred was at night after I had been riding for over 11 hours.

I was Just wondering if anyone else has has similar issues and if you have any idea how to correct it. I love the helmet but this fogging/distortion thing is not something I am prepared to live with.

I am going to order a new face shield (even though this one is still in very good condition) on the off chance there is some defect with this one.

I have trouble in the rain w/ my C2 as well. Not fogging, but with rain drops all over, and eventually on the inside as well. I use Plexus on the outside, was hoping for a RainX type of behaviour, but no luck there.

I'm not sure if it's a poor top-seal (between the visor and the shell) or because I have the visor clicked out (not up, just out) and didn't notice. I *think* it's because of the top seal, but i'm not sure. I occasionally get dust/rain in *through* the chin-bar vent.

I have a bit of problem with the pop out feature of the face shield. While it looks like it seals okay when its fully in the "back" position it doesn't seem to want to stay there. I often find it will open up a little on its own leaving a small gap.

I have the same problem with my C2. I read in the instructions not to clean the inside of the visor or it may remove the antifog material. I think that's exactly what I will try and do.

Like KCScott in the previous post, I removed the coating from my visor. Now I just use Plexus front and back and it seems to work better. I tried to find out from Schuberth if I could get an "uncoated" visor. No. In fact, I've had a hard time just finding stock replacement visors for Schuberth.

How did you remove the coating? Did you just wipe it off or did you use something to remove it.

Like KCScott in the previous post, I removed the coating from my visor. Now I just use Plexus front and back and it seems to work better. I tried to find out from Schuberth if I could get an "uncoated" visor. No. In fact, I've had a hard time just finding stock replacement visors for Schuberth.

I removed it with a combination of soap and water and lemon Pledge. Came off pretty easy, just be careful not to scratch it. Seemed like it came off in flakes.

Archived