IGNORED

Oil Filters

A357man

Jim VonBaden
The old ST3614 stand by fits just fine.

[shudder]

Worth a look.

http://www.rightspin.com/motorcycles/misc/oilfilter/oilfilter.html

Besides, I don't think that filter will work on the new hex heads.

They will screw on, as will any filter that fits the 1100/1150 bikes, but I wouldn't do it. There is no way to be sure the relief valve and filter properties are the same!

Jim cool.gif

PS Yes, some people ARE using them.

They will screw on, as will any filter that fits the 1100/1150 bikes, but I wouldn't do it. There is no way to be sure the relief valve and filter properties are the same!
Well I've been debating with myself (never a good thing) on that too. On one hand, what has changed in the basic motor that would justify a new filter design? OTOH, there must be some reason BMW did it. Certainly the total filtering area is much more on the old design than the new. The relief valve value might be different, but that only would come into play in an extreme clogged filter condition any way. Something almost no one ever experiences. The track record on the ST3614 has been pretty darn good on the 1100 & 1150 series, I still struggling with why not use it on the 1200 series?

Ken

Think about this. Apparently one of the goals with the R1200RT series was to reduce weight. They did that in all areas of the bike. ie. hollow rear axle, tupperware, etc. My feeling is they explored every area to drop 43 lbs. off the weight of the RT. So it would make sense if they could half the filter size and drop half the weight it would make sense. What do you think?

Ken

Think about this. Apparently one of the goals with the R1200RT series was to reduce weight. They did that in all areas of the bike. ie. hollow rear axle, tupperware, etc. My feeling is they explored every area to drop 43 lbs. off the weight of the RT. So it would make sense if they could half the filter size and drop half the weight it would make sense. What do you think?

As good an answer as any I've heard!

I have heard of people using the same oil filter for the 1100/1150/K bike on the R12's. I know it is a little longer and would protrude out of the bottom more but I cannot honestly think of why it would not work equally as well as the new short filter. If the filter is full of oil how could it possibly not pickup oil to lube the engine? Am I missing something here?

Am I missing something here?
Not in my opinion. I think the old known aftermarket filter numbers are just fine for the new hexheads.
LordHumongous
Ken

I think they made it so that they can sell that $70.00 filter wrench!! lmao.gif

I don't mean to sound snide but why quibble over a $14.99 filter and .99 crush washer when changing oil on an $18,000 bike every 3000 miles. How much can you save? We keep hearing about dealers closing. I think they would appreciate a little extra business. No personal interest here. Really curious. Plus, I have confidence in what the engineers at BMW spec.

LordHumongous
Hopefully you looked around first and bought one for $20-$35.

No I borrowed one from a friend, took it to work the next day and wrote a program for the CNC lathe and mill and made 300 of them....

733172-wrench2.JPG.cb33d91726bf5cd6316900cb97c98250.JPG

Global_Rider

I'm amazed that people will spend big coin on a BMW and then worry about the cost of what...2 to 5 filters a year.

I don't and from the looks of it, nobody else on this forum does, have the actual test results of the BMW and other filters. As far as appearance and feel goes, in comparison to the BMW oil filters, the rest of them look like junk.

I don't mean to sound snide but why quibble over a $14.99 filter and .99 crush washer when changing oil on an $18,000 bike every 3000 miles. How much can you save? We keep hearing about dealers closing. I think they would appreciate a little extra business. No personal interest here. Really curious. Plus, I have confidence in what the engineers at BMW spec.

Every 3,000 miles?! You musta listened to the dealer. My tech manual says every 6,000.

I don't have a problem with it every six K, but I do have a problem with a company that simply overcharges for the sake of doing so. $70 oil filter wrench indeed. 3,000 mile oil changes, indeed.

When my dealer "reminded" me to bring my bike back in 3,000 miles, my first question was: "why? Is it built so much more poorly than that ST1300 I just traded in, which runs its transmission in the engine oil and still recommends 8,000 mile changes?"

JD

The relief valve value might be different, but that only would come into play in an extreme clogged filter condition any way.

I think the relief valve can also open when the engine oil is cold and thick, especially if you rev the engine too high too quick in wintry weather.

Jay

Archived