IGNORED

Center Stand - How to judge when its unsafe to use

Ian

Outside my house I usually turn onto a slight downward hill and drive off. However my wife likes to mount from the extra height of the pavement (sidewalk) and so for our recent fully loaded trip on my R1100RT I stopped on the downward hill. As we were plugging in the Autocom it would not work and so I dismounted and used the center stand so that I could flip up the side stand and get the alarm/immobiliser off and get the electrics up and running to check out all the Autocom wiring. Of course to get at the Autocom I had to remove the rear seat. I had just done this when the bike creeped forward and dropped of the center stand fortunately coming to a rest on the cyl head guard.

There was a passer by at the time who saw this happening but never offered any help to get the bike up.

I know that the center stand should not be used when facing downhill (or uphill where you might not get it back off the stand without powering off) but is there an opinion on how to judge what level is safe?

Oh! and to finish the story about the Autocom not working. Well, if it is wired to the light circuit...

Ian

731644-OnmyBMWR1100RTcopy.jpg.49f4fa952c9b8d570c36372bf1ed3f95.jpg

Oh! and to finish the story about the Autocom not working. Well, if it is wired to the light circuit...

Ian

<splutter, cough, hm>

If I feel I have to hold the bike still, it is too steep. in those circumstances put the bike in gear with the engine off, let the bike roll forwards utill the compression stops it and use the sidestand.

Andy

Archived