IGNORED

Fast idle cable problems

No_Twilight

I'm working on a buddy's 97 R-model. It has a cable distribution system under the battery box that my 95 doesn't have. The symptom is that the fast idle does nothing until pushed past the stop into the region where you have to hold it and then it only increases the idle a couple of hundred RPMs. It should increase the idle on a warm bike to 3-4kRPMs. There is no adjustment left at the lever.

But I took the cable sheath out of the cup it slides into (kindo like the classic TB sync problem) and it still wouldn't operate the throttles.

Does he need a new distributer? Does it just need adjusting? ANd finally, Do we need to remove the gas tank and battery box? The haynes manual seems to imply no on the latter but I have seen threads were people did remove it.

Thanks,

Jerry

Often too loose of cables from the junction box (called a Bowden box) to the individual throttle bodies can cause what you are seeing. Tighten the left side until it just doesn't pull the TB off of its stop, then sync. the bike right side to left.

If this doesn't do it, you may indeed need a new Bowden box, or possibly fast idle cable. Either one, the tank has to come off to gain access to it under the battery tray, but the battery tray itself does not. There is a release tab and it will slide out from underneath to the right. After disconnecting all the cables of course.

Well Ken, I guess you nailed it. Appears nobody else has any comments. I'll try taking out the slack one of these days. Thanks,--Jerry

That fast idle does nothing that holding the throttle open a little bit for a few seconds doesn't do. Hardly seens worth messing with, IMO. If the bike won't run after a few seconds of giving gas, there are bigger issues to deal with than the fast idle lever.

The splitter box itself gets grimey. They don't seem to wear much. Might be worth it to remove it (quite a project) and clean it up.

Tom K,

What you say makes sense until you try it. The bike likes to start with the throttle just off the stops. Try to do this some time with your throttle hand instead of the fast idle lever. If you open it too much the bike won't start, too little and it won't run. It's much more difficult than you would expect.

As for the cleaning the distribution box, I think that is a good idea and I think we'll try that.

Thanks,

Jerry

Bikes differ of course, but I haven't used the fast idle for several years summer or winter, just use the throttle to get the bike running, scan lights to see if any warnings appear, and ride off. No problem.

The bowden box (cable distribution box) on my '98 was only $25. I had a bad fast idle cable and since Haynes recommended replacing the throttle cables at 18k (which I have found since that hardly any of you folks agree with), I had them replace all the cables and do a TBS. They adjusted the valves first (mechanic said my first attempt at valve adjust was not good). Anyhow, the mechanic that worked on my bike had like 20 years experience supposedly, and he recommended to change out the bowden box as he said it was not well-constructed and since it was not expensive... 1)Also, how many miles on bike? 2)Is it time to change out the cables out yet?

Archived