IGNORED

Mosquito Ridge Road

John_Hendriksen

John_Hendriksen

68522108-M.jpg

With little effort motorcycling can become a powerful and impressive obsession. One of the best elements is not so much the riding, but rather where the road takes me. As an addict for smooth pavement and sweet curves, I am sure of one thing about motorcycling; there is something wonderfully simple about it, a rhythm and a rhyme, a bit of heart and blood and bone beyond the normal geography of travel. Like most junkies, I can’t help myself.

Roads, it has always been roads.

I took Mosquito Ridge Road this morning, my weekend balancing act between addiction and chores. MRR is one the quintessential motorcycle roads in California, much written about, virtues exclaimed on high powered internet sites – 300 curves in 35 miles or some such – it hugs deep canyons walls, skirting granite and pines, with incredible views at every turnout. Because of its popularity, I normally avoid it on weekends, leaving it to the young and testosterone laden among us.

However, if you get there early enough, one can ride it’s entire length without getting passed on the right. I was on it at 6:00am this morning, riding through a sunrise made sweet by the gossamer cirrus clouds, the air cool and filled with the perfume of Scotch Broom. I counter-steered myself through 150 or so of the infamous curves, climbed the ridge and stopped to listen to the (I love this name) North Fork of the Middle Fork of The American River from 1500 feet above it. Sitting and listening – content with the narcotic of twisty pavement, my brain happily makes connections, splices really, to the asphalt. But, for a moment I think I ask too much of motorcycle rides. Ask them to fulfill yearnings and desires, mollify my shortcomings and they can’t, can they? I am participating and not implying when I ride, I figure and yet, here I was along another mountain road, riding through the cool mountain air, reaching again for the pavements bounteous continuum. The road, of course, cares not for me, for my ghosts and lost gods and my idea’s of morality and love and justice.

No, I’m here and the road abides me.

If anyone comes to NorCal this road is not to be missed.

Just don't go there on a weekend. LEO's of various agencies are very conscious of that road's magnetic effect on motorized two-wheelers. Even Forest Service rangers have been known to get involved with speed enforcement.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is a pretty recent topic and many may decide to give this road a try, I figured an update is in order.

Stay away from this road for the next few weeks!!!!!

There is a 0% containmnet fire currently burning in the area of this fine road.

Once the fire is contained and extinguished, there will be a fair amount of mess on the roads from all us firefighter types dropping dirt off our rigs, etc.

Unknown time frame on containment for this fire due to rugged terrain.

Just thought you should know!

Here is a good site for fire information throughout the nation: NIFC

Oh John, you have just made my day!! I rode MRR for the first time only a few weeks ago and once i got over my awe for the steep endless cliffsides and the lack of guard rails, i took a deep breath and experienced the road.

Truly amazing and your breathtaking account is no less than perfect prose for the moto-community to absorb. Content with the narcotic of your gorgeous writing, i willingly submit myself to the next chapter of your riding exploration.

Thanks...your near perfect writing is what I seek when writing and riding....a breath of clean, fresh and glowing impressionism.

3 cheers,

d

OK, I had to resort to a map to clear up my confusion. confused.gif Apparently there is a Mosquito Rd. out of Placerville, that Nick (Deadboy) lives near. Then there is Mosquito Ridge Rd. out of Forestville. Isn't there also a community of Mosquito somewhere?

How much of it is paved, John? It's hard to tell from the map. It looks like it goes out and connects to Soda Springs Rd., coming down from the Donner Pass area, but I know that's dirt.

I've been wanting to explore the Forestville area, Erik and Chris (Roseville Rider) moved up there a couple of years ago, but it's a bit far for a day trip, and not real close even coming down from our place at Tahoe.

According to the news last night, there is another fire in that area, so it may not be accessible for a while.

John_Hendriksen
How much of it is paved, John? It's hard to tell from the map. It looks like it goes out and connects to Soda Springs Rd., coming down from the Donner Pass area, but I know that's dirt...

...According to the news last night, there is another fire in that area, so it may not be accessible for a while.

It is paved and I usually ride it to 11 Pines Road and then on to the other "holy grail" -Wentworth Springs Road and then on to other options of which there are many.

Pretty bad fire, too. I've been travelling all week (writing this from an airport), yet my wife tells me the smoke has been bad in Grass Valley.

Love to ride it with you..I imagine it will be awhile before it opens again, however.

Archived