IGNORED

helmet tapping

taters

maybe someone can help me out. i have been riding for 18 months. on 3 ocassions i motorcyclest coming toward me on a 2 lane h'way kept tapping his helmet, what does this mean? thanks in advance

Tapping the top of the helmet is also a way to tell someone that their headlight is out.

I didn't know about the LEO thing. I will be sure to remember it.

You will also see someone pump his left hand up and down with his palm down. When you see it, it is an obvious "slow down" gesture.

my "moto-mentors" said cop ahead, tap your head! dopeslap.gif
There are jurisdictions (CT used to be one) where this is illegal -- e.g. you are not allowed to warn other drivers of police in the vicinity and one who sees you engaged in flashing your lights (cars usually) or hand signalling may pull you over and cite you for the offense.

Jim

There are jurisdictions (CT used to be one) where this is illegal -- e.g. you are not allowed to warn other drivers of police in the vicinity and one who sees you engaged in flashing your lights (cars usually) or hand signalling may pull you over and cite you for the offense.

Jim

Whoa, just a minute. I am no fan of the ACLU but if a LEO cited me for a hand gesture which could be interpreted as a warning for "cop ahead", I would be knocking on their door. First amendment anyone?

Is your headlight on high beam when you get the "head tapping" gesture? I use the same gesture to tell the rider behind me to dim their lights when it gets late in the evening and the high beam is too bright.

Slow down for whatever reason is usually the palm down "whoa" gesture.

motorcyclest coming toward me on a 2 lane h'way kept tapping his helmet, what does this mean?

If he 's rubbing his belly with his other hand, he's just showing off. smirk.gif

AdventurePoser
motorcyclest coming toward me on a 2 lane h'way kept tapping his helmet, what does this mean?

If he 's rubbing his belly with his other hand, he's just showing off. smirk.gif

lmao.gif

This is what I understood about the hand signal, cop ahead!! Signaling other drivers by hand gesture or flashing your lights warning other drivers could get you a ticket in some jurisdictions based on the ' Obstruction of Law enforcement ' but I've only heard this actually happen a coupled of times and never heard what a court outcome was.

Signaling other drivers by hand gesture or flashing your lights warning other drivers could get you a ticket in some jurisdictions based on the ' Obstruction of Law enforcement ' but I've only heard this actually happen a coupled of times and never heard what a court outcome was.

You misspelled "Revenue Collection". biggrin2.gif

Here is another example of the same theme. This is completely lawful IMO and protected by free speech.

A police officer had a perfect hiding place for watching for speeders. But one day, everyone was under the speed limit, the officer found the problem: a 10 year old boy was standing on the side of the road with a huge hand painted sign which said "RADAR TRAP AHEAD." A little more investigative work led the officer to the boy's accomplice, another boy about 100 yards beyond the radar trap with a sign reading "TIPS" and a bucket at his feet, full of change.

This is what I understood about the hand signal, cop ahead!! Signaling other drivers by hand gesture or flashing your lights warning other drivers could get you a ticket in some jurisdictions based on the ' Obstruction of Law enforcement ' but I've only heard this actually happen a coupled of times and never heard what a court outcome was.

This happened a few miles from my home, based on a TN law, but was overturned in court.

Here is another example of the same theme. This is completely lawful IMO and protected by free speech.

A police officer had a perfect hiding place for watching for speeders. But one day, everyone was under the speed limit, the officer found the problem: a 10 year old boy was standing on the side of the road with a huge hand painted sign which said "RADAR TRAP AHEAD." A little more investigative work led the officer to the boy's accomplice, another boy about 100 yards beyond the radar trap with a sign reading "TIPS" and a bucket at his feet, full of change.

This sounds like urban legend/snopes material - but I LOVE it! grin.gif

court has ruled that a man on a cb warning others of a speed trap was exercising freedom of speech

Yes, I was going to say this too. The Court decided this last year after a guy got a ticket from a LEO for warning on coming motorists of a radar trap ahead. The Court overturned his ticket and said that he had the first amendemant right to do as he did. thumbsup.gif

I haven't seen the helmet tap around here. Everybody does the lights flash for many reasons. Just a month or so ago, met a car flashing it's lights, on a rural road where I've seem cops before. Turned out there was a longhorn bull meandering on the road about a half mile ahead. He didn't seem happy to see me. Not something you want to tangle with on a bike! I turned around and found a different route.

Frank

Jim

This is true, but if pulled for such an offense on a bike, tell the officer you were opening your helmet vents.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't traffic enforcement too slow traffic down. So if others are doing the job for you, tapping helmets, flashing headlights, talking on the cb, whats the big deal. They are doing my job. thumbsup.gif

Isn't traffic enforcement too slow traffic down. So if others are doing the job for you, tapping helmets, flashing headlights, talking on the cb, whats the big deal. They are doing my job. thumbsup.gif

I don't think enforcement is always about slowing down traffic, nor that traffic is always moving too fast.....

We all know that there are many conditions where driving a little over the speed limit (i.e. - empty road; optimal road conditions; etc.) where driving a little over the limit is perfectly 'safe'.

Why is it though that law enforcement seems to seek out just these places as 'easy-picking' spots to nab those who do, rather than seek out more congested areas where the driving is truly more dangerous, and examples of dangerous (non-speeding) infractions are quite common?

Wayne

I don't think enforcement is always about slowing down traffic, nor that traffic is always moving too fast.....

We all know that there are many conditions where driving a little over the speed limit (i.e. - empty road; optimal road conditions; etc.) where driving a little over the limit is perfectly 'safe'.

Why is it though that law enforcement seems to seek out just these places as 'easy-picking' spots to nab those who do, rather than seek out more congested areas where the driving is truly more dangerous, and examples of dangerous (non-speeding) infractions are quite common?

Wayne

LOL. Don't take the bait John! Wayne, just as in all professions, you see a variety of personalities. John is the good cop... :-) He just stated his opinion that he did not have a problem with the behavior even though it is against the law in places.

M

Wayne

I guess it depends in what part or what city or area you live in. Our traffic units every wins first place for traffic enforcement, which does not include just nabbing speeders. We educate the public. Here is our link to our department web site.

http://www.talgov.com/tpd/traffic.cfm

Last week we did numerous Safety/DUI checkpoints. I understand you point.

Now THIS is true!!

If you are heading west on I40 just as you start through Oklahoma and are on the Indian Turnpike. If you take the 69 south exit to cut through to Texas, there is a lovely sweeper after the bridge over the expressway.....parked off on the right on private land is a semi-trailer with a huge sign on it saying "Speed Trap Ahead"!!!

Yup!..and there sure was thumbsup.gif

Okay, I can't say I've seen a 'helmet tap' around here. A flash of the headlight is used to advise traffic to "slow down - be alert" but could be for any number of reasons (wildlife on road, accident ahead, speed trap, etc,).

dopeslap.gif If I saw a rider signal me by tapping their helmet, I would wonder what they were trying to say? "use your head"; "watch out bugs ahead"; "wake up!"; "help me get this bee out of my helmet!".

Thats a taunting you silly English Knnniggit!

Thaddeus

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! lmao.gif

If I saw a rider signal me by tapping their helmet, I would wonder what they were trying to say? "use your head"; "watch out bugs ahead"; "wake up!"; "help me get this bee out of my helmet!".
Who knows? Maybe the rider was just "gettin' jiggy wit' it!!" grin.gif
AdventurePoser
Okay, I can't say I've seen a 'helmet tap' around here. A flash of the headlight is used to advise traffic to "slow down - be alert" but could be for any number of reasons (wildlife on road, accident ahead, speed trap, etc,).

dopeslap.gif If I saw a rider signal me by tapping their helmet, I would wonder what they were trying to say? "use your head"; "watch out bugs ahead"; "wake up!"; "help me get this bee out of my helmet!".

Ah, you silly Canadians, what with your roadside cameras... grin.gifgrin.gif

Steve in So Cal

Archived