IGNORED

Watching your speed

leikam

I always thought that I didn't pay much attention to my speedometer but rather set my pace by the surrounding traffic. That's my ideal anyway.

Turns out I was fooling myself. My speedo cable gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago and I haven't picked up a new one yet. When it first gave out I was startled to realize how frequently I do look at the dial. The next surprise came when I found myself riding slower and less "assertively" simply because I didn't know just how slow everybody else was going. In the last couple weeks, I've been better able to pace traffic and more willing to hang back and wait for a good opportunity instead of seizing the first one. I like the way I'm riding now.

I'll get a new cable some day soon -- mostly because it's helpful to have a working odometer, but I'm seriously considering a cover for it so that it's out of sight. Maybe mount it in the glovebox?

Anywho, for those of you who might be interested in a little experiment, try covering your speedometer for a week or two.

russell_bynum

'm seriously considering a cover for it so that it's out of sight. Maybe mount it in the glovebox?

Just put some tape over it.

Shawnee Bill
The next surprise came when I found myself riding slower and less "assertively" simply because I didn't know just how slow everybody else was going.

My speedometer light went out a few days ago, I find myself doing just the opposite, that is, I seem to speed up at night when I can't see my speed, I move forward through traffic no matter how fast they are going, when I can see my speed I set an upper limit for myself and begin to just follow if someone is going my "limit".

Tape?! Can't I buy a CNC-milled titanium cap that has the proper tolerances so it won't scuff my dash and comes with a (tasteful) BMW rondel on it?

russell_bynum
Tape?! Can't I buy a CNC-milled titanium cap that has the proper tolerances so it won't scuff my dash and comes with a (tasteful) BMW rondel on it?

LOL!!!

I think we just discovered the next "must have" BMW accessory. Ken H. is going to be all over this for his GS.

grin.gif

Francois_Dumas
I've been better able to pace traffic and more willing to hang back and wait for a good opportunity instead of seizing the first one. I like the way I'm riding now.

That's MY riding style... and wouldn't you know.. I got scolded for it recently by a not-to-be-named board member for being 'slow' ... smirk.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifdopeslap.gif

That's MY riding style... and wouldn't you know.. I got scolded for it recently by a not-to-be-named board member for being 'slow' ... smirk.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifdopeslap.gif

If Marty says you're slow, you're slow. That's like a cook at Waffle House complaining that your kitchen isn't clean. tongue.gif

LOL!!!

I think we just discovered the next "must have" BMW accessory. Ken H. is going to be all over this for his GS.

grin.gif

Hey, I want one too grin.gif

Francois_Dumas

If Marty says you're slow, you're slow. That's like a cook at Waffle House complaining that your kitchen isn't clean. tongue.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif But SAFE ! wink.gif

I get the joke because... I've been to the south and have eaten at a Waffle House....once.

In the last couple weeks, I've been better able to pace traffic and more willing to hang back and wait for a good opportunity instead of seizing the first one. I like the way I'm riding now.

I'll get a new cable some day soon -- mostly because it's helpful to have a working odometer, but I'm seriously considering a cover for it so that it's out of sight. Maybe mount it in the glovebox?

Anywho, for those of you who might be interested in a little experiment, try covering your speedometer for a week or two.

Get a cheap GPS, like a Garmin Legend or equal. My RT and GS are 6 1/2 percent slow and my KRS is 1 percent off. The GPS replaces every function of your speedo and does it better.

Get a cheap GPS ... [it] replaces every function of your speedo and does it better.

Well, that's one opinion and an ironic suggestion since I'm riding better now that I have less data fed to me about my road speed. Beyond that, I fundamentally don't want a GPS. I prefer simple solutions to simple desires.

My RT and GS are 6 1/2 percent slow and my KRS is 1 percent off.
I just got a SportVue MC2 HUD that displays speed/gear/rpm on the helmet visor. It does speed by counting revolutions of the rear wheel and then doing the math - which required I measure the circumference of the tire. My speedo turned out to be optimistic too. Not sure if it's because BMW wants to be conservative and make sure you're not going faster than you think ("Officer, the speedometer says I wasn't speeding...it's got to be BMW's fault") or if it's because of different tires than stock.

Jim

Archived