IGNORED

Hyper-Lites

Gordon K Phillips

Gordon K Phillips

I recently installed the dual LED brake units on my R12RT. The first flasher unit was defective, but I can't say enough about the prompt thumbsup.gif response I received from H&R Enterprises, the manufacturer of the Hyper-Lite. I would strongly recommend them to anyone concerned with rear night time visibility and braking illumination. clap.gif

They are great aren't they? Ron will get on the phone with you in a minute if you have problems. There stuff is so easy to install there is hardly any need to call. I just love their product and people definitely notice when they pull up behind you.

I bought a set for my R1200RT at the MOA Rally in Vermont. I installed them after getting home. We have a Helmet Guardian helmet lock and the LEDs neatly attach to the locks. As stated, the installation was very easy.

Thanks to the canbus (or no thanks, depending on your point of view), the LED taillights remain on for a minute or two after the bike shuts off. The power for the LEDs comes from the rear accessory socket.

Great product. thumbsup.gif

• 1 year later...

Hi. I'm interested in getting a set of Hyper-Lites for my '02 R1150RS. I see on their Web page that there are different options from which to choose. I want to get the "Non-Flashing Brake Lights." However, I am unsure which of these three options to get:

* 8 LED kits have two 1 5/8" wide by 7/8" high by 5/8" deep LED modules.

* 16 LED kits have two 2 1/8" wide by 7/8" high by 5/8" deep LED modules.

* S16 kits contain one 16 LED module.

Which do you recommend?

Also, on the BMW kits page, it lists kits for the R1100RS and the R1100RT/R1150RT, but not for the R1150RS. Which kit should I get?

Thanks very much.

My review of them last year might be of interest to you: Clicky

You want the R1100RS version.

FWIW, I feel it's the flashing that gets people's attention. I prefer the 5-second flash mode. Attention-getting, but then unobtrusive.

My opinion: Definitely get the kit with two sets of 16 LEDs. Effective and easily installed. On the R12RT, if you use the factory battery charger, the lights come on in low-intensity mode whenever the charger is active. Irritating, but not really a problem because they do not draw enough to compromise the effectiveness of the charger. I put a quick disconnect in the wiring so I just unhook them when I plug in the charger.

i put them on also so they do come on if charging from socket as I connected them to power from rear socket.

The blinking is a choice you can make depending on how you wire them. I definitely use the blinking as attention grabber.

In process of ordering them for my new 650GS as well.

h

Rocket_Cowboy

Great. Guess I'll sell the hyper-lites I bought for the ST1300 and go buy the set for the R1200RT. I like that I don't have to splice into the factory harness ... on the Honda I was going to have to do some cuttin.

Seems like I'm always buying something here the past month or so. LOL

My review of them last year might be of interest to you: Clicky

You want the R1100RS version.

FWIW, I feel it's the flashing that gets people's attention. I prefer the 5-second flash mode. Attention-getting, but then unobtrusive.

Thanks, Sebastian. Great link. Will be very helpful. I will order the 8-LED set as I see now that the 16-LED set may be too long to fit. BTW, in your link you state that you "snipped the green loop to enable the 'five-second flash before solid' mode." Does this mean that I can buy the non-flashing version now, and later I can simply snip a wire if I decide to make it flashing? Thanks again.

I will order the 8-LED set as I see now that the 16-LED set may be too long to fit.
Just my opinion, but I think the 8-LED version looks wimpy, especially from a fair distance. Hardly worth the money.
Does this mean that I can buy the non-flashing version now, and later I can simply snip a wire if I decide to make it flashing? Thanks again.

No. Cutting enables a 5 second flash to solid light. The standard mode; wire uncut, is continous flashing for as long as the brake is applied.

Regarding the choice of 8 vs. 16 LED's; when I purchased my set 2 years ago, the folks at Hyper Lites directed me away from the 16 LED kit claiming compatability risk with the CANBUS. I guess that is no longer a problem based on the other responses.

I've got the 16 LED dual functions on my 2005 RT. No problems with the canbus. I really like them and they do help keep cars off my butt.

I snipped the green wire so they flash for about 5 seconds then stay on solid. I did that so drivers behind me would see that I'm slowing down, but then not be annoyed at stoplights sitting behind me with my super bright hyperlites flashing in their eyes. However, now I wonder if people get confused when my lights quit flashing and they think I'm off my brakes... I wish there was an option to flash for 20 seconds then go solid. I may go back to constant flashing just to be safe.

I had hyperlights on my last three bikes and twice I've had partial light units go bad. (for example 4 of the sixteen lights went out on my current set.) Hyper-lites quickly sent me a free replacement both times with an envelope to return my faulty bulbs in. Bummer that they quit working, but great customer service each time.

Mike

I have Jerry Skene's P3 lights. Excellent, and MUCH better than Hyperlights.

http://www.p3lights.com/

inst-brakes-on-back.jpg

inst-angle-brake.jpg

You can mount them any way you like. I have had mine for about 5 months, and they work great. Jerry has sold dozens, and everyone I know if very happy with them!

Jim cool.gif

Man, I was just about to order a set of Hyperlites for my 07 RT but when I went to the website, they had this photo posted:

R1200RTdetail.jpg

Is this REALLY what the install looks like?? Wires hanging out from the lens?? Stickered to a reflector??

EGADS

I don't think so.

Man, I was just about to order a set of Hyperlites for my 07 RT but when I went to the website, they had this photo posted:

<photo omitted>

Is this REALLY what the install looks like?? Wires hanging out from the lens?? Stickered to a reflector??

EGADS

I don't think so.

Photos on the P3 Web site also show wires hanging out. The installation looks pretty clean in Jim's photos, though, so maybe it's just a matter of how one routes the wires for either product.

---John.

The wires on mine are not visible at all, but the maker does recommend sticking them to the plastic reflectors, which I agree is unacceptable. To avoid that, I paid (I think) $7 for a little bracket that attaches behind the license plate. It's a clean and unobtrusive installation and I like the way they work. Had it been available at the time, however, I would have opted for the P3 system because it looks considerably brighter. Of course, it costs twice as much...
The wires on mine are not visible at all, but the maker does recommend sticking them to the plastic reflectors, which I agree is unacceptable. To avoid that, I paid (I think) $7 for a little bracket that attaches behind the license plate. It's a clean and unobtrusive installation and I like the way they work. Had it been available at the time, however, I would have opted for the P3 system because it looks considerably brighter. Of course, it costs twice as much...

Hello, Jon. Did you purchase the bracket from Hyper-Lites? Would you kindly post some pics of your installation? Thanks.

---John.

Hello, Jon. Did you purchase the bracket from Hyper-Lites? Would you kindly post some pics of your installation? Thanks.

---John.

Yes, I saw it on their web page and ordered it along with the light kit. Here is the link: BRACKET

I'll try to post some pictures over the weekend.

Jon

FWIW I ran Hyper Lites on my Harley and realy thought they changed the behavior of following motorists.

I also used the bracket from Hyper Lites. It worked well.

In additi0on, my first set stopped working correctly after about a year and he replaced them no charge and no questions.

I recommend them.

you must be kidding with the objection to visible wires???

Show me one light that does not require power to be piped (wired) from somewhere. It is all up to your own imagination and skills to conceal (hide) the wires.

Where you put your lights is also up to yourself.

Give me a break.

I just got my 2nd set of hyperlights in the mail (2 days after I ordered them) for the 650 and will install in 10 min tomorrow morning. The wires will be barely noticeable BUT the lights will be bright and hopefully more visible than the wires.

h

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to post some pictures over the weekend.

Jon

Hi, Jon. Pics? ;-) TIA.

---John.

Sorry. Got busy waxing wood floors and never got out to the garage. I'll try tomorrow. The important thing is that the lights are mounted on the bracket so that they sit just below the red reflectors, and there are no exposed wires at all. They disappear through a hole behind the license plate and go up into the tail light housing. Very clean installation.

I just mounted a pair of 16-LED Hyperlites right above the stock taillight on a '07 R1200RT. Unobtrusive, out of the way (hard to knock off), fit neatly between the light and top case mount, and no wires show. Almost look like they came from the factory.

And yes, got slightly confused during the install on a Saturday, called the man at Hyperlites and got an immediate answer to my question. Very pleased with the support.

Hi, Jon. Pics? ;-) TIA.

---John.

Very late, I finally thought to carry the camera out to the garage and took some pictures of the Hyper-lites on my R12RT, using the $7.50 bracket from the vendor. As you can see, it's a clean installation, leaves the reflectors alone, and leaves no wiring at all exposed: R12RT Hyper-lites

I have a video clip of them in action (the 16 LED ones). Send me a PM with your e-mail addy if you want to see it.

PS - for the record....I love them. thumbsup.gif

Very late, I finally thought to carry the camera out to the garage and took some pictures of the Hyper-lites on my R12RT, using the $7.50 bracket from the vendor. As you can see, it's a clean installation, leaves the reflectors alone, and leaves no wiring at all exposed: R12RT Hyper-lites

Thanks for the pics, Jon. I installed HyperLites today. After three hours, I finished. (Yes, I'm slow.) Pics on my Web page.

---John.

Archived