Russell Day Long Seat: Ride in or Mail?

2wheelterry

I am thinking about upgrading to a Russell Day-Long seat. Their location is not too far for me. Figuring time in the shop, it’s doable as a long day trip. I am wondering if doing the ride in service is going to get me a better fit or is doing the purchase by mail sufficient.

Hi,

One thing you might check on is production date vs.next ride in appointment time.This may sway your decision.

Unless you are really fortunate,it is doubtful that either will get you a saddle real soon.You may be looking at weeks,to a month or so this time of the year

JR356

Paul Mihalka

Unless you have a spare seat, I would suggest ride-in. Once you have a confirmed date (and a phone confirmation the day before?) when you get there they have to do it. If you mail the seat, you may end up without it for a few weeks.

I've done two Russell seats via mail in. I always tried to plan it around a time that I wouldn't be riding. It's going to put your seat out of commission for at least 4 weeks. If you have a spare seat ...no problem...If I was remotely close I'd do the ride in.

I am thinking about upgrading to a Russell Day-Long seat. Their location is not too far for me. Figuring time in the shop, it’s doable as a long day trip. I am wondering if doing the ride in service is going to get me a better fit or is doing the purchase by mail sufficient.

Came from Connecicut as a ride in. They started at 8:00 and was out at 3:00. Was giving a seat to use for the day. Some nice riding in the area.

Ride in smile.gif

thumbsup.gif

If you can ride in I'd say do it, can only increase the likelihood of satisfaction. That said, I did a mail in and they nailed it on the initial build, never felt it necessary to send it back for any adjustmnent.

Ride in! There's the little "Shasta Dam Motel" very close to Russell that makes a decent and cheap place to over-night. Russell will take the full day to make your saddle.

If you're going to ride in, ride in in early October. Nicer cooler weather. But what do I know. It was 118 degrees when I was in your neck of the woods a month ago crazy.gif

It's going to put your seat out of commission for at least 4 weeks.

That's my experience as well. Their service is excellent and they kept to their build and delivery schedule. They do get busy so you may be waiting a while to get your saddle into the factory - I waited about 6 weeks from when I initially sent in my order until I sent in the saddle. Perhaps things will slow down in another month or two as we head into winter. thumbsup.gif

I have known the good folks at Russell for some time, having lived near the Russell shop at one time, I travel there often enough. In my expert opinion you will get the same quality seat either way, ride-in or mail-in. Katie runs the front office and she is good at working with customers and their production dates. If you choose to do mail-in, she will advise you on the farely exact date to send in your seat so that you are not without it for too long.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

AdventurePoser

Others may disagree, but I think riding in for my RDL was wll worth it. I talked to Jim, the builder throughout the process, and got to sit on it as it was being finished. This obviously won't happen if you mail it in.

I'm sure their service on mail ins is good, but if you live close enough, go for it. Plus, there is a great BBQ place in Redding you gotta try! Couchrocket, what was the name of that place??

STeve

Thanks all. The wait is about two months for the mail-in and about a week more for the ride-in. I think I am going to do the ride-in in a couple months when the riding season slows down.

I rode up to RDL for my seat. I'm very happy with the results.

The Shasta Dam Motel is a time capsule from the Ozzy and Harriet days.

Archived