A different oil thread.

glockster

The manual says get the oil to operating temperarure, leave the bike on the sidestand for 5 minutes, then up on the centerstand to check the sightglass.

Living in so cal where the temps are generally consistant is it really necessary to let the oil get to operating temperature before checking the sight glass? It never gets below 60 degrees in my garage. Can't I just give it a glance before starting the engine?

While we are on the subject of oil. I picked up my '04 RT last weekend. The previous owner spent some time showing me around the bike, including the sightglass and current level of oil. Oil level was at the top of the glass last saturday. Today 205 miles later it is at the bottom of the glass. 8000 miles on the RT. Normal?

Can't I just give it a glance before starting the engine?
Yes.
Today 205 miles later it is at the bottom of the glass. 8000 miles on the RT. Normal?
Yes.

Here's a thread to get you started.

The viscosity of oil in cold bike in a 60 degree garage is a lot different from that of oil ay operating temp. The point of the side stand is to let as much of the warm oil as possible drain down so that it's visible in the site glass. Putting the bike up on the center stand makes the reading a liitle more accurate and also makes the site glass a helluva lot easier to see. As you'll see from the thread I linked to, many don't believe that degree of accuracy is necessary.

Site glass looks like a black hole? Too much oil.

There's oil somewhere in the vicinity of the dot? Just right.

Your bike will burn a lot of oil and then that will magically change somewhere around 30,000 miles. Honest!

John Dickens

Your bike will burn a lot of oil and then that will magically change somewhere around 30,000 miles. Honest!

I didn't really believe this when I first got my bike but Damn Me if it isn't spot on.

My bike has just turned 32,000 miles and it didn't use a drop of oil over a 4000 mile round trip.

I can only hope that the tales of the gearchange improving with age turn out to be true too.

When I return from a ride I leave it on the sidestand for however long it takes me to store my riding gear. Then I put it on the side stand. After a few hours you can check the glass and get an accurate reading.

Archived