IGNORED

Broke down today -inlet manifold

bmalone

Hi all,

It was a glorious winters day in Sydney, Aus today so I decided to go for a ride. About 2 hours in I stopped for a quick break, when I returned and started the bike it backfired, this sounded like a gunshot. The backfire blew the inlet manifold off the left cylinder, right at the join where the rubber pipe is clamped on. To cut a long story short I spent the next two hours waiting for the tow truck to come. Fortunately my wife was able to come and get me! At least I was in a town, (Wisemans Ferry) could have been worse!!

Has anyone experienced this before? ooo.gif

I haven't had it happen but I've seen it reported before on a few occasions. I don't think it is a widespread issue but does happen.

A search should find some instances - also have a look on www.ukgser.com as IIRC there was at least one instance there.

Paul

Hi all,

It was a glorious winters day in Sydney, Aus today so I decided to go for a ride. About 2 hours in I stopped for a quick break, when I returned and started the bike it backfired, this sounded like a gunshot. The backfire blew the inlet manifold off the left cylinder, right at the join where the rubber pipe is clamped on. To cut a long story short I spent the next two hours waiting for the tow truck to come. Fortunately my wife was able to come and get me! At least I was in a town, (Wisemans Ferry) could have been worse!!

Has anyone experienced this before? ooo.gif

I'm only curious as to why you didn't just pop it back on and ride it? frown.giffrown.gif I've seen it happen several times on older Oilheads.

Mick

Can't talk for BMAlone, but in my case, the bike made such a hell of a bang, that I was sure I'd had a valve damaged. Since the bike is under a 3 year warranty, my thinking was to let BMW deal with it, rather than do something which might :

1) cause more damage

2) give BMW Claims cause for not supporting a fix

With a $24k CDN bike, I'd rather have not fallen into a scrabble with BMW over correct/incorrect procedure. Ya know?? Especially on our first date. smile.gif

Hi,

I considered popping the pipe back on but I couldn't get my fat hand through the gap in the fairing. I also did not want to risk my warranty.

cheers

brendan

Archived