IGNORED

02 RC51 or 03 CBR600RR

RickP

russell_bynum

What for?

If you're looking for a track bike, I'd go with the 600 because it's easier to ride and will teach you more since you can't make up for being slow in the corners by being fast on the straights.

If you're looking for a street bike...personally, I like the torque of a big-displacement twin so I'm not shifting all over the gearbox trying to keep the thing in the powerband.

That's not to say the RC51 isn't a good track bike, or the CBR600RR isn't a good street bike...it's just that my preferences make the 600 better for the track and the RC51 better for the street.

Firefight911

It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Slow is a relative term, therefore, do NOT construe the above independently expressed statements as this poster's allegation that the 600 is slow. In fact, it is not. Read beyond the words and into the meaning of them and thou shalt be set free to understand that I would chose the 600 for the same reasons as stated by the previously posted poster (AKA Bounces on Ground Like Cheap Spring in Flea Bag Motel) grin.gif

So, I'm a little punchy after our structure fire today! dopeslap.gifeek.gif

I've ridden both and as a second bike, I would opt for the rc.

Great v-twin torque and engine braking. Just make sure your legs agree with the tight seating position.

Good luck.

russell_bynum

Slow is a relative term, therefore, do NOT construe the above independently expressed statements as this poster's allegation that the 600 is slow. In fact, it is not.

Absolutely. The stock 600RR puts somewhere around 100hp to the ground and weighs 370lbs (dry). It is, in fact, faster than a stripe-assed ape. I've seen darn close to 160mph up on the banking at Fontana, and it would get me from a slow 2nd-gear corner to 135mph on the 1800' straight at Pahrump with enough space left over for me to chicken out, grab the brakes, and haul it back down to 3rd gear for turn 8.

The 600 is plenty fast.

It's just that you have to wring its neck a bit to get it to go vs. the big bikes that are putting 160+hp to the ground where you need only to think about opening the throttle and before you know it, you're on the rear wheel rapidly approaching a 20mph turn as the speedo needle swings north of 100mph. grin.gif

Bounces on Ground Like Cheap Spring in Flea Bag Motel

wave.gif

jbargenquast

For around town fun, torque is king. I have a Ducati ST2 and it is a blast for around town. I would expect the RC to be the same. The 600 is fun for winding out.

Rick, even though Russell thinks you ought to get the RC51 for the street, you need to pay attention to riding position. I rode Russell's (with the girly-man turn signals) all day for a RidingSmart, and was very comfortable. The RC51 is going to kill you for a day-long street ride.

I'd get the RR unless you're committed to the full on racing position, in which case an RC51 is the cat's meow.

What happened to the Duc you putz?

I hope this means you're feeling better. Take it from your elders, from what I've seen, no one gets through life without at least one good scare. Soooo, you're good to go.

I do drool over the red ST-3 in Battley's, there's just so many low-mileage sportbikes available for $6K in this area since about 20% the population turns over every year. And they have what, oh I don't know, 100K service intervals?

The RC is adult-owned, has aftermarket exhaust and undertail, new Dunlops, and the guy is relocating, and it's beautiful, but it is too much bike for me.

It really sounded great when that guy in the red 'Stich kept blowing by me at Mid-Ohio though.

russell_bynum
Rick, even though Russell thinks you ought to get the RC51 for the street, you need to pay attention to riding position. I rode Russell's (with the girly-man turn signals) all day for a RidingSmart, and was very comfortable. The RC51 is going to kill you for a day-long street ride.

I'd get the RR unless you're committed to the full on racing position, in which case an RC51 is the cat's meow.

You can fix the riding position issues with adjustable rearsets and heli bars.

Davitt_Potter

Weird. smile.gif I'm lucky enough to have ridden both the CBR600RR and the RC51. I'm 6'2", 230#, and I found the RC to be more comfortable than the torture rack that was the CBR600RR. Ha!

I would agree that the 600 really has to be wrung out to make power, but it's plenty docile around town. The RC is what I call "dial-a-wheelie" - pick an RPM, the front tire assumes a different elevation. It's got torque everywhere, and doesn't have to have the throttle pinned to start building power.

They're both a lot of fun, but I'd say sit both of them - ride both if you can - and see what you think! smile.gif

Stick to your BMW. It's much safer. Those damn crotch rockets will just get you hurt. I see those things everywhere and they ride 'em like jerks. They think they are soooo cool with their little racer boy paint schemes, and Joe Rocker replika jackets on. They really look like idiots to me. They are prolly gonna be the real reason us true motorcyclist are banned from the roads. Noisy bastards come by and interupt my morning meditation with their Yashmuri (or something) ehaust pipes that are prolly just some penis extension for them anyways. They'll get theirs.

I was just perusing the Cycle Cat RIPS site before this. Multi-adjustable foot and hand controls. They look pretty good, ever hear of them?

Watching MotoGP just screws up the whole day. Speed is channel 271 here and my old VCR only goes to 120. Something else to buy. Oh well one of the VIR races is on in 30 min.

Stick to your BMW. It's much safer.

Like this one? I love the color combo, and of course it's close by.

exhaust pipes that are prolly just some penis extension for them anyways.

This must be why the high-mounts are all the rage.

Is is Sunday out there yet Gleno, or are you still working on Sat. night? The V-whiperer made me choke on my popcorn (literally).

Vroom, Vroom, -RickP.

Archived