IGNORED

newbie question, what mileage to switch to synthetic oil

barncobob

not sure of bmw motors, will replace tranny and rear drive too. my last 2 cars came with mobil 1 as a factory fill and change at 12k.not trying to start another oil thread.

Traditionally, your BMW dealer will change you over to synthetic at either your 6K or 12K service. However, if you are still burning any significant amount of oil (say, around a quart every 3,000), then your engine is still not broken in and switching to synthetic will only delay that eventuality, costing you lots in burned synthetic oil.

As for Mobil 1, I wouldn't use it on a motorcycle. Great lubricant. But too many stories of excessive carbon build-up on pistons and valves for my liking. Truly, BMW oil is the best for your bike. Unfortunately, it ain't cheap.

not sure of bmw motors, will replace tranny and rear drive too. my last 2 cars came with mobil 1 as a factory fill and change at 12k.not trying to start another oil thread.

My bike has 37,000 flawless miles on Castrol semi-synthetic every 6K miles from the 600 mile service. I see no reason to spend the extra 25% on synthetic oil as I live in a cold climate.

If you see the oil temperature regularly near the top of the guage then synthetic will give benefit due to its better temperature tollerance. There is some annecdotal evidence that it will also run cooler. Other than this, in my opinion, synthetic oils bring no benefit to your bike.

Andy

Once it stops using oil, Mobil 1 15-50 would be an EXCELLENT choice. I have used it exclusively in all my bikes and cars since 1976. I'm amazed each time I open one of them up for valve checks at how totally spotless they are inside. It does not boil-off like the dino oils, BMW-distributed or otherwise.

Mick

Tucson

Archived