IGNORED

R1200RT tank bag: BMW or Touratech?

Gnossos

I know there was a post on the BMW tank bag for the R1200RT not long ago, and several people commented that they were trying the Touratech as an alternative. The advertising that I've seen doesn't specify how it attaches -- is it using the same system as the BMW tank bag? (The two bags cost about the same -- they're both pricey!) Can anyone who has the Touratech provide a bit more information? Also, someone recently indicated that the BMW bag perhaps wasn't as waterproof as it should have been. Comments? Thanks!

I know there was a post on the BMW tank bag for the R1200RT not long ago, and several people commented that they were trying the Touratech as an alternative. The advertising that I've seen doesn't specify how it attaches -- is it using the same system as the BMW tank bag? (The two bags cost about the same -- they're both pricey!) Can anyone who has the Touratech provide a bit more information? Also, someone recently indicated that the BMW bag perhaps wasn't as waterproof as it should have been. Comments? Thanks!

I've got the BMW bag. Since getting the bike In late April I've put on 18,000 kms (11,000+ miles) and have had no problem whatsoever with water. I do not, however, use the drawstring on the inner bag; I just fold it over on itself. Don't know if that would make a difference.

I bought the Touratech bag and have used it recently on a tour around Eastern Europe. It's doesn't connect in the same way as the BMW bag. You have to connect the base plate first by lifting the tank rail off, velcroing it on and then reconnecting the tank rail. After that the tank bag can flip either way to refuel. Personally I think it is a better design, it's waterproof (inner bag) and comes with a seperate small bag for money, passports, etc.

I have some photos which I will find and attach.

Cheers,

I'd prefer that it not have the "water-proof" inner liner; the draw string is always in the way. If I think's it's going to rain, I'll use a water proof cover taken from a Wolfman Denali tank bag. The inner liner may be water-proof, but it won't prevent water from pooling between the liner and the nylon fabric outer shell. After a good rain, there will be about a pint of water trapped between the inner and outer layers; a bad design in my opinion.

Another thing I don't like about the the BMW tank bag is how the top fips open onto the instrument panel lense. The zipper teeth could easily scratch the lense(wich costs $131.00 to replace).

Finally, the built in handle on my bag is beginning to work it's way loose(fabric is fraying). I suspect it will come off completely in another few months.

The only thing I like about the tank bag is the quick mount/dismount mechanism, but even that you can't lock.

I bought the Touratech bag and have used it recently on a tour around Eastern Europe. It's doesn't connect in the same way as the BMW bag. You have to connect the base plate first by lifting the tank rail off, velcroing it on and then reconnecting the tank rail. After that the tank bag can flip either way to refuel. Personally I think it is a better design, it's waterproof (inner bag) and comes with a seperate small bag for money, passports, etc.

Cheers,

If you can get those photos, it wil help me out a lot..Im, leaning towards the Touratech, but would like to see what you are talking about....

Thanks

I have had the BMW bag since I bought the bike last September. I don't have anything to compare it to but I have been very happy with the bag. Recently did 100 miles in a heavy rain and the bag stayed dry. I didn't have any water trapped on top of the draw string inner linner. The rail system makes for easy removal and re-attachment when fueling.

I like the BMW bag.

Quick mount/dismount.

No handlebar control interference steering lock to steering lock.

No instrument interference due to bag height.

Internal waterproof liner. No need to have an external cover to remember to pack or to install when the weather turns nasty.

Map pocket is also watertight.

Overall much better design than the previous generation (R11X0) BMW bag.

I haven't experienced the Touratech bag, but any bag for the R1200-RT that doesn't directly mount to the bag rails or allow the bag rails to remain on the tank is, in my opinion, a compromised design.

I have the BMW tank bag on my R1200RT. I rode for 165 miles in constant rain in Vermont at the BMWMOA Rally. The tank bag did not leak. I left it attached to the bike while I ate lunch for about an hour in a restaurant. The bag was attached to the bike and did not leak.

I agree with the other posters about the convenience of attaching and releasing the BMW bag. I would not want to mess with straps to attach and release the bag. Magnets also do not work on the plastic fairing of the R1200RT.

Sorry have been tied up at work, will take the photos and have them on in the next 24 hours.

Cheers,

If you can get those photos, it wil help me out a lot..Im, leaning towards the Touratech, but would like to see what you are talking about....

Thanks

I have used the large Touratech bag this summer...no long trips but I have found it to be waterproof and easy to pop on and off when fueling. When the bag is expanded to its full capacity, you can still see the instruments, and I am short and using the low saddle. I use the small attached bag to carry my Walkman CD player and run the tunes through the Autocomm unit installed in the empty "glove box" Overall, I am very pleased with the quality and ease of use of this bag.

Archived