Garmin GPS SPIII late directions given.

chrisz

Hi,

My newly aquired SPIII seems to be late in giving turn by turn instructions. For example, when I'm only about 100 feet away from a intersection where I'm to turn, the GPS pipes up and says that in the next 150 meters my turn is coming up. Is there a way to recalibrate the unit? I've sent this questions also to Garmin last week, but haven't heard back from them yet. It would be great if I had the 150 meters to set up for a turn, but 100 ft is cutting things too close for my liking.

Thanks,

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hi,

My newly aquired SPIII seems to be late in giving turn by turn instructions. For example, when I'm only about 100 feet away from a intersection where I'm to turn, the GPS pipes up and says that in the next 150 meters my turn is coming up. Is there a way to recalibrate the unit? I've sent this questions also to Garmin last week, but haven't heard back from them yet. It would be great if I had the 150 meters to set up for a turn, but 100 ft is cutting things too close for my liking.

Thanks,

On my 276c there is a setting in the menus somewhere (look in sys menu for alerts/alarms) that dictates how early you want your turn alerts to be made; likely your SPIII has something similar. Default on mine was, I believe, 1 minute. If you bought yours used, the previous owner may have set it to some ridiculously short value by accident.

This doesn't quite describe your situation (alert distance doesn't match real distance), I guess. You may have a real malfunction in yours that needs attention from the mfr. Hopefully Garmin will come through; they've got a pretty good reputation for servicing ailing units.

It would be worth checking that you have the latest firmware in the receiver. Have a look at Main Menu -> System Info. The current version is 2.80, available from Garmin support if necessary.

One of the improvements (a couple of versions earlier, I think?) has been to reduce the 'thinking' time before showing/speaking directions, especially where two or more instructions are close together.

What sort of routes are you following? The SPIII doesn't do long routes very well: it can take an age for (re)calculations. Try with a short route -- just a few tens of miles -- and see how it goes. Things used to be better with earlier versions of map data, but the maps are suffering a bit of bloat these days, for older receivers.

Yeeha! Stephen

You might try reloading your base maps.

Mine does that sometimes (though I quit listening to voice instructions a while ago) and the cursor seems to be just a bit off "line" or "road". Reloading my maps (not routes) puts everything back in order.

Let's "fix" one thing at a time. In the MAIN MENU go to SYSTEM SET UP. Click the GENERAL tab, you'll see a box that says UNITS. This allows you to scroll between STATUTE or METRIC, make sure it's at Statute.

Note a set of boxes on the right side that count down as well as give you voice commands as you get closer to your turn. Maybe now that it's in feet it'll take out some of the guessing.

The last thing I can't help you with. The SPIII is a slow unit(IMHO) which is why I sold it and got a SP2610. I had more than a few times taken an off ramp and approached a split or T intersection faster than the unit could recalibrate to tell me to go straight or to turn left or right.

If you don't have an owners manual you can get it on line here: http://www.garmin.com/manuals/StreetPilotIIIGPS_OwnersManual.pdf

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I did finally receive a reply from Garmin, but no real help. They suggested the response of the GPS is slow as I may be riding too fast?!

As far as changing the units, it doesn't make any difference, I want the unit to report in meters not feet. Will just have to be more carefull (slow) when approaching turns so as I don't miss them.

I keep my screen locked at .3 or .2 mile mapscale. This will let me see when turns are coming up before the unit tells me. You can go to setup and tell it nor to recalculate with out asking you and you can also tell it not to change the mapscale automaticly. This will let you see upcomming intersections and turns. At higher mapscales a lot of the smaller roads are not visible.

Archived