IGNORED

Oil Pressure Light! On - New Owner Question

Mark_Turner

OK, Just got back from Atlanta to Cleveland, bought a 1999 R1100RT, only 10,000 miles. So have my first problem and I did try to search here first before asking. Problem is the Oil pressure light stays on even after first intial start up. Oil level is good!!! Bike ran great, did get a lot of rain on Tuesday but made it home Wednesday night. Now today the oil light won't go off. Now I'm worried I can't ride it. Should I call a dealer?

Special thanks to Frank CLoud for getting me on the road to I75 without having to go through Atlanta!!

Pic of my new bike attached too!

Mark Turner

Cleveland, Oh

729317-P8150003.JPG.ceae9ba1df885e434ad25d841774b50f.JPG

It's more likely a failed sensor or bad connection than an actual loss of oil pressure. The oil pressure sensor is below and slightly forward of the jug on the left side of the engine. You can see it with all the tupperware on. If you disconnect the wire on the sensor and, with the ignition on, grounding and ungrounding the wire doesn't cause the light to go on and off, the problem is in the wiring. If the light goes on and off when you ground and unground the wire, you can remove the sensor and install an inexpensive mechanical oil pressure gauge from your local auto parts house. If this guage shows oil pressure when you start the bike, replace the sensor. If this gauge doesn't show oil pressure then you do have an actual low oil pressure problem, but that would be unusual.

That's a beautiful looking bike. thumbsup.gif

My GS light has stayed on a few times directly after washing the bike.

To cure the problem, I pulled back the rubber boot covering the oil pressure switch and dried it with compressed air. The final solution was to coat the sensor terminals and seal the rubber boot with silicone grease before refitting. The problem has not recurred.

The oil pressure sensor is located just under the left (gear lever side) cylinder.

Paul Mihalka

If your engine would be running with such low oil pressure (almost none) that a correctly working pressure light stays on, it would make very expensive noises for a short time and then it would be very-very quiet wink.gif

Like others have said - it is most likely a bad pressure sensor. Low oil pressure would equal lotsa noise for a while...followed by silence.

Check to see that the wire is attached to the sensor, and that the sensor isn't leaking. Based on the age of the bike, you could be due for a new one. Some last forever, and some don't.

BTW - I'm not standing next to my bike, but I am pretty sure the sensor is in front of the left jug, not below it. It screws into the side of the motor and has one wire coming off of it.

Thanks!!! Fixed my first problem!!! cleaned the connector and reconnected to switch, light will now stay off!! Thanks for helping me locate the relay!!!!

Mark Turner

Cleveland, Oh

Mark,

Think about that circuit. For the oil pressure light to illuminate, the wire needs to be grounded. If it was simply dirty, it would probably have been OPEN which would NEVER light the light. smile.gif I have an idea it will be back to haunt you later. dopeslap.gif P/N 11411342807 after 12/97

Mick

I'll keep that in mind, at least for now it is staying off after engine is started. I'm sure it may be related to all the wet weather she was in on Tueday. Anyway have put almost 900 miles since Tuesday, really think I made a good choice on getting this bike.

Mark

OK, Just got back from Atlanta to Cleveland, bought a 1999 R1100RT, only 10,000 miles. So have my first problem and I did try to search here first before asking. Problem is the Oil pressure light stays on even after first intial start up. Oil level is good!!! Bike ran great, did get a lot of rain on Tuesday but made it home Wednesday night. Now today the oil light won't go off. Now I'm worried I can't ride it. Should I call a dealer?

Special thanks to Frank CLoud for getting me on the road to I75 without having to go through Atlanta!!

Pic of my new bike attached too!

Mark Turner

Cleveland, Oh

My pleasure.....I enjoyed the ride. thumbsup.gif

Archived