IGNORED

About that rear wheel bearing...

photojournalyst

photojournalyst

I get the howl, at around 60 mph, and it seems to come more from the rear then the front.

Looking at Clymers, I didn't see anything about just the wheel bearing, and all the diagrams I saw where exploded final drive units. Somebody please tell me that we don't have to rebuild the final drive to replace that bearing...

Is there a nice simple solution like the front wheel?

ShovelStrokeEd

Nope, there is no wheel bearing. There is a ring gear support bearing in the final drive. The final drive doesn't need to come completly apart to replace it though. If you catch it early enough and the bearing thickness matches that of the original bearing, the replacement is only a couple of hours start to finish.

Could it possibly be tire noise? Some of the newer tires make quite a racket and "howling" could be that- or a bearing.

Frank

Could it possibly be tire noise? Some of the newer tires make quite a racket and "howling" could be that- or a bearing.

Frank

I vote for tyre noise as well. When the Avon Azaro's I had on started to cup a bit the howl was clearly heard through ear plugs despite me being deaf in one ear. The dealer thought is was bearing noise and checked out the final drive (in warranty). Finding nothing there he stripped and rebuilt the gearbox with new bearings throughout (again under warranty).

The tyres fixed it.

Andy

At 60 mph it would be hard to tell where the noise is coming from. Sounds from the front sound like they are coming from the rear at speed. I too am guessing it is the tires howling.

photojournalyst

I am going to have a friend of mine who is a more experience rider take a little ride and give me an opinion. This is my first bike, and my background is all cars.

Thanks for the help all!

Adam

Archived