IGNORED

R1100RT Dealer Service Insight

Blake

I just picked up my '96 R1100RT from the dealer last night - 30K mile service. smile.gif

I guess my main question / concern / gripe is, what do you normally pay for this service? I paid $726 (subtract $158 for a new front tire + $48 for labor - so it's really "ONLY" $520). eek.gif The service apparently included a throttle body or jet synchronization; oil change; clutch adjustment; and basic inspection check. Is this normal? confused.gif I know I own a BMW and should "kind of" expect this, and frankly I can't do a lot of the service(s) myself (lack of knowledge and tools), but they tell me to come in for another service at 36k miles and expect to pay about the same or a little more (final drive service, etc.)?! eek.gif What gives? Does everyone typically pay this much for these kinds of services? I'd love to do some of the work myself, but as I said before - knowledge and tools. blush.gif I've seen and read a little about "Tech Days", but I don't know if there are any in my areaor even how they work (i.e - do you just show up and claim how much knowledge you DON'T have?). tongue.gif

Anyway, as stated, any insight / comisery ya'll can provide would be appreciated! thumbsup.gif

TIA!!! thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
I guess my main question / concern / gripe is, what do you normally pay for this service? I paid $726 (subtract $158 for a new front tire + $48 for labor - so it's really "ONLY" $520). eek.gif The service apparently included a throttle body or jet synchronization; oil change; clutch adjustment; and basic inspection check. Is this normal? confused.gif

Higher than I remember, but then it's been years since I went to the dealer for service. 30K service should include valve clearance check/adjust, throttle body sync, oil change, clutch freeplay check/adjust, and a basic inspection. The RT includes the extra step of tupperware removal and installation, for which I suspect book rate is probably a half hour each.

and frankly I can't do a lot of the service(s) myself (lack of knowledge and tools)...

You can acquire the knowledge, and you can buy the tools. thumbsup.gif Check amazon.com for a Haynes manual for the 1100RT, and head to Sears and buy some Craftsman tools. The manual is dirt-cheap, but good for basic maintenance, and although the tools (see page 2 here for a list) will cost you a bit at the outset (figure maybe $300-$400 if you're starting from scratch), you'll save money in the long run, and you'll feel more comfortable about fiddling with the bike if it ever gives you trouble on a road trip.

I've seen and read a little about "Tech Days", but I don't know if there are any in my areaor even how they work (i.e - do you just show up and claim how much knowledge you DON'T have?). tongue.gif

Each one is a little different. Keep an eye on the Ride/Event Planning forum to see if one pops up within range of your home. as far as what goes on, check out the sticky threads at the top of that forum for general guidelines about what to expect as a guest or host. If there's no Tech Daze coming up in your area, you might post an invitation for someone closeby, and offer them some dinner in exchange for a little coaching through your 36K service.

If you try to tackle the 36K service yourself, feel free to post questions here; this board is a great resource of experience for people trying to become familiar with their bikes. thumbsup.gif

30K service = 6K service list (aka "minor")

36K service = 12K serice list (aka "major")

Don't know if they included the "Annual service" stuff as well (Brake flushing, etc...)

Don't know if they included the "Annual service" stuff as well (Brake flushing, etc...)

Yeah, I had them do a brake fluid flush since it's an annual and it was already there - better safe than sorry. thumbsup.gif I'll have to fine-tooth the list again, I can't recall everything that they did (I think I was too overwhelmed - haha). crazy.gif As it was, I forgot to bring the Throttlemeister kit that I bought, which I think is actually 1 piece from 2 kits cuz only one bar end fits! dopeslap.gif

Anyway, thx for all of the input! Keep 'em coming.

Personal opinion, it might be a bit steep, but considering it included a brake flush and bleed, not ridiculously out of line.

Minor @ 6000 interval was $350

Major @ 12000 interval was $400

Annual @ 24000 interval was $700

36000 including belt was $600

Tires every 12000 was $385 installed

Dealer maintenance cost to date $3100.

Tires and brake pads to date $1255

Total dealer costs $4255. or approximately 10 cents a mile

Minor @ 6000 interval was $350

Major @ 12000 interval was $400

Annual @ 24000 interval was $700

36000 including belt was $600

Tires every 12000 was $385 installed

Dealer maintenance cost to date $3100.

Tires and brake pads to date $1255

Total dealer costs $4255. or approximately 10 cents a mile

well..., i haven't quite gone to THAT extent to figure it out smirk.gif, but i will add that i wouldn't trade my RT for ANYTHING!!! thumbsup.gif

Archived