Who's the wise guy???

RoadJunkie

OnStar can remotely track a lot of OnStar equipped vehicle functions, including speed from their headquarters in Chicago. Fortunately they are very careful who they release that information to.

Big deal! Just disconnect it, or put a shield around the device's antenna, rendering it useless. This "Nanny State" think is going too far.

Besides, who do they think is going to pay for this? And how are they going to handle the logistics of retrofitting these devices to tens of thousands of existing bikes? Obviously this pinhead hasn't thought this through properly.

<link>Big Brother?</link>

What is up with the Poms anyway? It's almost as if they're all into some sort of headlong rush into Nanny State Heaven...

<link>Big Brother?</link>

What is up with the Poms anyway? It's almost as if they're all into some sort of headlong rush into Nanny State Heaven...

If this law is enacted, I am out of here.

Latest I heard was that the test rider had written a report decalring the device and concept dangerous, stating that riders would be put at risk of fatal accidents by the system as it now works. I hope that the funding for the research runs out before any 'improvements' are made.

Andy

Francois_Dumas

Idiots Galore .... oh, yes, the synonym is 'politicians'.

I have been (too !?) law abiding my whole life... something like this would make me a criminal, for sure. crazy.gif

I hope that the funding for the research runs out before any 'improvements' are made.

Kevin Clinton, head of road safety at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, said: “The Intelligent Speed Adaptation is likely to be very effective at reducing deaths and injuries on the road. It is being developed and trialled at the moment and the sooner it is enforced, the better. (emphasis mine)

This doesn't have a good sound to it. If I didn't know better, I'd say they're looking to put something into effect.

ShovelStrokeEd

Time to gather the peasants, complete with pitchforks and torches, storm the castle and drag the monster out.

Alternativly, find a motorcycle riding monster, go to the pissant's house and stomp him into a grease spot.

I didn't like being told "it's good for you" when I was 6 years old, my attitude has not improved in 58 years.

It's pretty old news and very selectively reported. It first surfaced in 2002, when the British Motorcyclists Federation (BMF - a riders' political lobby group, amongst other functions) discussed it in their 'Rider' magazine .

The technology is tied in to a GPS receiver and map of speed limits.

Well, we always blame the Americans. Not kidding, or trying to be facaetious. Along the lines of 'Warning: beverage in this container may be HOT' and 'Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear'.

The trouble is, Britain has a history of taking on rules and then gold plating them before applying rigidly. A bit like cricket, but not so serious. wink.gif

Big deal! Just disconnect it, or put a shield around the device's antenna, rendering it useless. This "Nanny State" think is going too far.

Besides, who do they think is going to pay for this? And how are they going to handle the logistics of retrofitting these devices to tens of thousands of existing bikes? Obviously this pinhead hasn't thought this through properly.

One other point I hadn't thought of....

The statement says that the bike's "throttle will be gradually shut down". This implies sophisticated access to the internals of either the fuel injection system (providing the bike has one), and/or the electronics of the ignition controller (if the bike has one of those), or the engine management system (if the bike has one of THOSE.

Every make and model of bike is different. Never even mind the logistics of WHO will do the retrofitting of existing bikes... that is a difficult enough question. How do they expect to interface with exsisting bikes, since virtually every make and model is different internally.

Not to worry. This bit of "your tax dollars at work" is going to go nowhere!

How do they expect to interface with exsisting bikes, since virtually every make and model is different internally.

Not to worry. This bit of "your tax dollars at work" is going to go nowhere!

Your points are well made and likely correct.

Not likely to happen for these reasons - on older bikes....

The real danger is new models.

There already exists computers in virtually every new vehicle made. All they need to do is incorporate internet access and your vehicle's performance can be transmitted to whatever law enforcement agency, or insurance company who might want to keep tabs on you.

The technology exists.

All that is required is some beaurocrat who thinks its 'in society's interest' to mandate it.

That way you will be automatically ticketed for everytime you break the law, and your insurance company will be informed of your driving habits............

They could even arrange direct deductions from your bank accounts.........

Isn't e-commerce wonderful.......

Wayne

Paul_Burkett

The wise guy's name is Lady-man, not to be confused with Gurly-man from Hans and Franse skits, but he is a contradiction in him self.

All that is required is some beaurocrat who thinks its 'in society's interest' to mandate it.

Wayne

"We're doing it for the CHILDREN"

How could you possibly refuse?

Frank

The statement says that the bike's "throttle will be gradually shut down". This implies sophisticated access to the internals of either the fuel injection system (providing the bike has one), and/or the electronics of the ignition controller (if the bike has one of those), or the engine management system (if the bike has one of THOSE.

Yes it does. It's connected a TPS and (will only work, I presume..) on ride-by-wire machines, i.e., new ones. Once you break the limit it alerts you through a display. Non-compliance ( ooo.gif) gets you an audible warning in your helmet and a vibrator in the seat (honestly.....). Stage 3 - where you're just being plain obnoxious, obviously - sees the system CLOSE the throttle until the speed limit is reached. It doesn't care about weather, road conditions, traffic (imagine that happening half-way past overtaking a truck........), steering angle (corner, anyone?) etc.

Or the guy tailgating you at 6'..........who subsequently rams you and drives over you.

IIRC, the system is triggered by devices on the route, not (well, exclusively at any rate...) GPS, e.g. devices fitted to speed limit signs, etc.

Hey - there's an idea.......if the sign/device thats, ahem, corrupted thumbsup.gif, what happens??

There was a road test of the system in Motorcycle News last week.

Who pays these lunatics to come up with this stuff?? And, why not attach it to cars -what's with the picking on bikes?

Paul Mihalka
And, why not attach it to cars -what's with the picking on bikes?
There are many more car owners who vote, and they would vote the jerks out of office! (I hope)
Who pays these lunatics to come up with this stuff??

The taxpayer. And the worst ones seem to be the jerks that aren't elected to their posts.

This is simply the most stupid thing I've ever heard about trying to enforce speed limits. What a crock.

As someone else pointed out, each bike works differently, so how will they come up with a system that works for every bike? And who is going to pay to retrofit older bikes? And also, who will pay for this fancy system in my helmet? Will it come with every new helmet manufactured? And why are we only talking about fitting this system on motorcycles and not all cars, trucks, buses, etc.?

I'd hate to think of a time when a big semi-tractor-trailer comes up behind me and starts tailgating me over the speed limit, and when I accellerate to get out from in front of this accident-waiting-to-happen, my throttle is blipped down because of this stupid system and the truck runs me over.

At that point, why not have the system on both my bike and the tractor-trailer, so it can track the both of us so when the truck is going over the speed limit, or increasing speed upon a hapless motorcyclist, the truck's throttle is blipped down so he doesn't come within two car lengths of me? Or how about when a driver on the cell phone is about to switch lanes to occupy the lane I'm already in and the system takes control of their steering so they can't switch lanes? Or how about having the system in cell phones too so that when it detects a cell phone being used in a moving vehicle it just stops the vehicle all together? Let's just put this system in my body too so that when I'm eating, it detects and measures what I'm nourishing myself on through chewing in my teeth so that it won't allow me to eat high fatty foods by causing an involuntary person protein spill? Sounds a little 'Clockwork Orange"-ish to me. Sign me up!! Health insurance companies would love that one to coordinate with their attitudes towards wellness and only wanting to insure the healthy!

C'mon, people, the applications for a monitoring system like this are endless!!! grin.gif

This is yet another example of people without any knowledge on a subject deciding they are the ones who need to mandate it. Anytime someone makes the choice to say no, they want to take away others' choice to say yes.

I'm perfectly happy to sign up when I can have instant access to the politicians/law makers for my state

and local municipalities. I propose that all carry a web cam device with microphone. There should

be a web site where I can connect to see what they are doing and monitor any deals for wrong

doing. That kind of thing. Oh, it's 24x7. I also want to be sure they're properly rested and taking

care of themselves--I don't want to put out for any unnecessary medical expenses--taxpayers

shouldn't be forced to pay any other unnecessary expenses either. Without proper monitoring, who

is to say?

Since I'm pretty sure that will never happen, I would hope the idea of any sort of engine control as

a mechanism for enforcing speed never see the light of day.

Ian

There already exists computers in virtually every new vehicle made. All they need to do is incorporate internet access and your vehicle's performance can be transmitted to whatever law enforcement agency, or insurance company who might want to keep tabs on you.

Providing you don't disconnect it first.

How do they know the difference between the bike parked in the garage, and it being ridden with the system defeated?

As for it being able to be fitted to new bikes, that is not likely either. Every manufacturer and many of each different model, has a different drive by wire system. There would have to be so many different versions of this thing to fit all the various makes and models, it would cost a fortune!

Talk about an impractical idea!

How do they know the difference between the bike parked in the garage, and it being ridden with the system defeated?

As for it being able to be fitted to new bikes, that is not likely either. Every manufacturer and many of each different model, has a different drive by wire system. There would have to be so many different versions of this thing to fit all the various makes and models, it would cost a fortune!

You do not seem to understand we are talking about the UK legislature here. Impractical ans expensive is irrelevant - the motorcyclist will pay not the government. As for disabling it? you can be sure there will be severe penalties for doing so and a device connected to some of the tens of thousands of cameras here to catch you in the act.

George Orwell did not have enough imagination.

Andy frown.gif

That depends....

It could be edifficult to disconnect a computer, where this function is integral, when your vehicle can't run at all without the PC conncted........

If it could be disabled, that could be readily discouraged with a huge fine/jail time if it was found your system was tampered. There are many ways to both detect a vehicle and determine if the system is working while the vehicle is moving. - Then charging you with tampering with the transmitter if they pull you over.

Speed traps could change to "Detector disabled traps" for pulling over and inspecting vehicles where the detector gives no signal.......

Insurance companies are already lobbying for downloadable memories for recording vehicles performance prior to an accident to assist them in determining fault. Most new vehicles already have some form of memory capability.

To convert that to data that could be sent by wireless internet is not very difficult nor that expensive.

New vehicles meeting standards are nothing new. To come up with a standard format to transmit the data is hardly an issue.

It would not have to be real-time, just download incidents where "infractions" occured from memory, whenever the vehicle passes near a receiver.... That would require a modest amount of memory and very little internet access time.

Don't kid yourself that there aren't already many people looking into this.

Of course there are some technical and legal issues to resolve, but if they are, traffic police will have to find something else to do besides issuing speeding tickets. smile.gifsmile.gif

Wayne

It could be edifficult to disconnect a computer, where this function is integral, when your vehicle can't run at all without the PC conncted........

It is rather unlikely that any such function would be "integral". Motorcycles are made for the world market. Manufacturers are not going to undertake the extreme cost of research and development of an entirely new integrated electronic control system, JUST for Britain.

Besides the antenna cannot be integrated. It is not hard to reduce the gain of the antenna to a level that renders the system useless. Further, it is not possible that they would make the bike inoperable in the absence of communications, because every you temporarily lost satellite acquisition, the bike would become inoperable.

I think it boils down to just how much money will they throw at a problem that involves a minority if road users. I agree with Boffin, that apparently George Orwell lacked imagination, but I also think this will eventually die as a result of practicality (and, dare I say, "common sense"?).

Even if it does happen, the aftermarket chipset folks won't be far behind!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what we've done is included a module that integrates the recorded speed information to give an aggregate distance travelled. Then, when the engine control and monitoring units are interrogated at the bi-monthly engine emissions and safety equipment tests they report the total distance travelled, calculated from the responsible gear use monitoring and engine revolutions counter. (which will also let us know if you have been keeping on top of tyre pressures) If the two distances are different, we will know you have been shielding your antenna , the engine will shut down and you will have to turn yourself in before you will be given the opportunity to buy back the unlock code.

It is not quite finished yet. We just have the finishing touches to put to the biometric passport database, integrated National Health databases to do and that might not be until next week sometime.

Big Brother is Programming!

Pat

Well, what we've done is included a module that integrates the recorded speed information to give an aggregate distance travelled. Then, when the engine control and monitoring units are interrogated at the bi-monthly engine emissions and safety equipment tests they report the total distance travelled, calculated from the responsible gear use monitoring and engine revolutions counter. (which will also let us know if you have been keeping on top of tyre pressures) If the two distances are different, we will know you have been shielding your antenna , the engine will shut down and you will have to turn yourself in before you will be given the opportunity to buy back the unlock code.

It is not quite finished yet. We just have the finishing touches to put to the biometric passport database, integrated National Health databases to do and that might not be until next week sometime.

Big Brother is Programming!

Pat

WOW!!

I can't even find half of that stuff on my /6.

Archived