IGNORED

R12ST 12k svc and using a Twin Max.

1hawkrider

Getting ready to do the 12,000 mile svc. I did the 6k svc, valve adjustment and all. But I admit I skipped the throttle body sync.

But, I've broken down and bought a Twin Max, so I'll do it right from now on. Anyone out there have a quick explanation on how (where) to hook it up? Maybe a picture or two? I seem to recall a thread that advised only setting the low (idle) speed adjustment, and another that suggested taping the Twin max to the tank and going for a ride on the freeway to make high speed tweaks. Or am I halucinating again. Which should I do? Either? both?

I also assume the throttle bodies are done AFTER the valves are adjusted, right?

Getting ready to do the 12,000 mile svc. I did the 6k svc, valve adjustment and all. But I admit I skipped the throttle body sync.

But, I've broken down and bought a Twin Max, so I'll do it right from now on. Anyone out there have a quick explanation on how (where) to hook it up? Maybe a picture or two? I seem to recall a thread that advised only setting the low (idle) speed adjustment, and another that suggested taping the Twin max to the tank and going for a ride on the freeway to make high speed tweaks. Or am I halucinating again. Which should I do? Either? both?

I also assume the throttle bodies are done AFTER the valves are adjusted, right?

Do valves and plugs (replace plugs only if needed) first. Then do the TBS. The hexhead sets its own idle balance using stepper motors, so you can only do an upper range TBS. I suggest picking your normal cruising revs and do it there. Remember to keep an eye on engine temperature. If at all possible, get some big fans and point one at each jug + maybe a third at the oil cooler.

Andy

...and regarding the Twin Max. Set the sensitivity to min--all the way counter clockwise. Turn on the TM and center the needle on 0. Turn up the sensitivity to max--all the way clockwise and recenter the needle if needed. Now turn the sensitivity back to the half way point. Do all of this with the hoses exposed to the atmosphere. Turn off the twin max, be careful to not bump the knobs. Connect the hoses to the TB's. The one on the right side has a black cap over it at the top--see it? The left one will require you to pull off a vacuum hose--see it?

Fire up the bike and let it come up to operation temp. Turn on the twin max and adjust the sensitivity to max. Adjust the right side cable to center the needle on the TM.

Shut off the TM, shut down the bike, pull the twin max hoses and turn it back on to see if the needle is in the center. If it isn't, you bumped a knob. Center it to 0, hook it back up and check your bike again.

If all is well, shut the bike down pull the TM and hook the vacuum line up to the left TB and install the cap you pull off on the right TB.

Jim VonBaden

The plugs for the Twinmax are on top with the 1200. Easy to see and hook up.

12GS-HB-Bars03.jpg

Of course you don't do idle, but you will do the off idle as normal.

It is pointless to try to adjust the cables for balance above 4K RPM since the TB's pull to much air to get a reading on it.

I always adjust mine between 2500 and 3000 RPM.

Jim cool.gif

Anyone out there have a quick explanation on how (where) to hook it up?
On the bottom of each throttle body is a nipple. One side has a cap on it, the other a hose. Pull them off, your twinmax connects there.
I seem to recall a thread that advised only setting the low (idle) speed adjustment,
No, as mentioned, it's the other way around. On the hexhead, the only sync adjustment you do is above idle.
and another that suggested taping the Twin max to the tank and going for a ride on the freeway to make high speed tweaks.
Yes, it's a valid technique if you want. I've done it on occasion for particularity problematic bikes.

Right.

You didn't ask, but the only adjustment point for sync is the right side cable adjuster. Sync the right side to the left at some RPM of your choosing above idle and you're done!

Thanks to all for the replies! thumbsup.gif I figured it would be pretty easy; just like to think things out as much as possible before I get the tools out.

I'm learning more about these great bikes every day, "and loving it!" (Maxwell Smart)

Jim VonBaden
Anyone out there have a quick explanation on how (where) to hook it up?
On the bottom of each throttle body is a nipple. One side has a cap on it, the other a hose. Pull them off, your twinmax connects there.
I seem to recall a thread that advised only setting the low (idle) speed adjustment,
No, as mentioned, it's the other way around. On the hexhead, the only sync adjustment you do is above idle.
and another that suggested taping the Twin max to the tank and going for a ride on the freeway to make high speed tweaks.
Yes, it's a valid technique if you want. I've done it on occasion for particularity problematic bikes.

Right.

You didn't ask, but the only adjustment point for sync is the right side cable adjuster. Sync the right side to the left at some RPM of your choosing above idle and you're done!

Sorry Ken, I think you mean the TOP of each TB on the Hexhead. grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Sorry Ken, I think you mean the TOP of each TB on the Hexhead
Yes of course. Obviously I had my oil head on when I typed that!

Archived