IGNORED

Lights on the RT

SteelD

Hi, joined up today and this is my first post here.

I currently ride an FJR and have always hankered after a BM. I've got the R1200RT in mind right now as a new bike next year to mark a milestone birthday. From reading around here, it looks like there will be new colours and maybe an improved braking system.

I like the lights on my FJR and hope the RTs lights are as good (difficult to tell on a test ride in daylight!). Are people happy with stock lights or do they upgrade the bulbs? Maybe BM will introduce a Xenon option on the 2007 models like there is on some K models... (wishful thinking perhaps).

Anyhow, nice meeting you all and no doubt I shall be asking a few other questions if I can't find the answers here. TIA.

David

Welcome SteelD,

I find the lights on my RT to be very good. I have not felt the need to augment them at all. I don't do a lot of after dark riding though because of the extra hazards, so someone that rides more at night might offer a different opinion.

--russ

St0nkingByte

The stock lights on the RT are amazing. The first couple times I rode at night I kept looking in my mirrors because I thought a car was tailgating me. Of course I came to the RT from a cruiser with just one ripped-from-a-67-vw-bug headlight.

CruisinCruzan

The stock lights are good, however I replaced them with 4300K HIDs, serious light. I just picked up a set of Hella micro DE xenon HIDs to augment my high beam. I may be confused with Apollo's chariot once everything is wired up and aimed properly.

R1200RT lights are very good on both high and low beam - but I have upgraded by high beam globe to a +50 globe. I frequently travel at night and need to be able to spot the kangaroos and the low beams give really good spread. Perhaps the high beams could give better distance they are fine as they are.

Hi David,

I replaced R1200RT OEM low-beam bulbs with Phillips MotoVision Bulbs.

Phillips claims a 40% increase in "white light", a longer beam and an "orange glow" for increased visibiity by others. Curiously, they aren't available in the US; bought them from UK outlet.

Phillips also advertises this bulb is specifically designed with improved visibility for the Motorcyclist in mind.

I wasn't really unhappy with the stock lamps until I put these on. Boy, what a difference!! Also, other riders say these lights truly increase visibility without, as Angel says "burning thru my cornias". smile.gif

Welcome to the Board!!

Mike05

I switched from a 04FJR into a 06RT and have no regrets. A very well balanced bike. The only thing you will have to get used to is an occasional double downshift needed for a quick pass in traffic, the power is there you just need to be in the right part of the tach to find it. With the FJR, as you know it's only so far as your right wrist. Best of luck with your descision.

Sounds like the lights are OK and if I'm not satisfied there is an easy upgrade path. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going for a test ride on an RT this Friday.

David

I just replaced the low beam bulbs with PIAA bulbs. Looks a lot brighter in the garage. Have to wait and see in the real world. One caution regarding HID bulbs. A local dealer told me they have stopped installing HID bulbs in place of the factory bulbs because of experiences on mulitple bikes with the lights cutting out all together. Stopping the bike, turning off the ignition and re-starting clears the fault for a while. They think the HID's are conflicting with the CANbus system. They are trying to find out more from BMW before attempting another installation.

first I think the lights are good but don't ride too much in the dark.

2nd, Mike05 where did you get the motovision lights from? Have been looking for them stateside but not found them yet. Was in Europe a few weeks ago and did not have time to go fish for them there but would like them for the security (amber light) during daytime.

I put HIDs on my R12RT (low beams), I got a set from cqlights for about $215. I just got back from a trip to Alaska, no problem with the lights.

I recently purchased an RT and very seriously considered an FJR. I loved the exceleration on the FJ, but the fit and finish, the transmition, tight and clunky, and the ergos moved me to the RT. Granted, the 4 cylinder is more powerful, but it is also heavier. The RT, IMHO, has it all. Even as a twin, as someone else stated, if you down shift twice, you will jet past anyone you want. The lightness (if that is a word) of the bike is fabulous and the ergos, no heat, wind protection, smooth transmition, sound of the engine, the corners are a breeze and totally fun, manuvering in parking lots and gas stations is no problem, the low seat is a nice heighth for us not so tall people and the bike has really good lines with or without the bags. No competition with the FJR, just a better all around bike.

Maggie

The BM dealer had a GS ready for me to ride last Friday rather than an RT but said I could swap half-way through the day if I wanted. I didn't in the end because I didn't like the boxer engine after all (or the GS for that matter - it's far too tall for me and even with the lower seat, my leg still had to be swung over the pillion seat which isn't any lower and I've had back-ache for a few days now. frown.gif ). It just didn't seem to have enough power for me. Now, I'm actually quite a sedate rider but like having the reserve of power that the FJR gives me. With the boxer, I felt that I had to wind it up a lot to give a reasonable level of performance.

I am now considering a K-series bike. I prefer the S rather than the GT because it looks better and I prefer the sport bags and the GT seems larger and more expensive. My only concerns are the low bars and possibly poor choice of colours. Looks like another test ride is needed.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Archived