IGNORED

Popping on decel / R1200GS

MarcS

Hey!

My '06 GS pops on decel, particularly in lower gears. It is much worse if I take the slack up in the throttle vs. just closing it fully.

The dealer says popping on decel is normal but I didn't ask them about it getting worse when I take the slack up (which I just figured out today). Other posts on the 'net say some level of popping/burbling is normal, but this seems excessive to me.

It's quite loud -- louder than a sport-tourer with a race slip-on in need of a jet kit, so I'd like to quiet it down, even if it is normal. Any thoughts?

Guzzidave1998

Hi Marc I dont know what other sport tour bikes youve had remember its a twin not a 4 its going to pop & make all sorts of interesting sounds good luck.

David

R12RT

V11EV Moto Guzzi

The first thing I'd check is exactly the same valve clearances. And I'd do it yourself so you can check it exactly.

If it is that loud, it doesn't sound right. They do burble on the overrun and pop gently but it shouldn't beat a sportsbike with an aftermarket can!

Leak in the exhaust system?

Paul's right...Small pops are normal as per dealer. Loud pops ( backfires ) aren't. Have the dealer check for exhaust leaks, and also check the Throttle bodies are clamped TIGHT. I had mild pops/ backfires up until the 10,000km service. Seems a good valve adjust and TB sync has cured it now, finally. Made a heck of a difference to the vibes too..... waaaaaay better.

Good luck.. !

Archived