IGNORED

Oil Filler Cap Leak

ncsonderman

I've noticed that I have some leakage from the oil filler cap. Not much mind you, but enough to notice collecting in the low rear corners of the cylinder cover. The rubber gasket looks good and everything is clean and free of debris.

Anyone (probably everyone!) had this problem? smirk.gif

There are two orings. One on the cap that seals it to the plastic grommet. The other seals the grommet to the valve cover.

In my case it was the second seal that was worn. I bought and replaced both seals and the problem went away.

Peter

i think everyone has this problem, some worse than others! both of my bikes have leaked oil from the cap, not a whole lot but enough to get on my boots. The only real solution is to replace the cap with this, i used this on my GS and never leaked again.

i think everyone has this problem, some worse than others! both of my bikes have leaked oil from the cap, not a whole lot but enough to get on my boots. The only real solution is to replace the cap with this, i used this on my GS and never leaked again.

The only problem with this device is that the set-screws embed themselves in the valve cover. And, if you're not careful, you can spin the set-screws if you tighten the cap too much. The result: metal shavings in the valve train. Personally, that's too much of a risk. I'll replace the o-rings every couple of years.

ProductUser

On my second inner sleeve and third oil cap.

I think part of the problem is if you're a large oil consumer (1 qt. per 1000 miles) like I was, and you're riding 300+ miles per day, the cap gets a constant workout. Now at 19K the oil consumption is slowing way down so the cap and oring should last longer (I hope).

-RickP.

photojournalyst

I replaced the o-ring on the cap, and the problem persisted. I cleaned all oil off the o-ring, cap and seat (where the cap goes) so they would mate with no oil. Never leaks now. With any seal, be it valve cover or anywhere else if there is some oil, it will provide a path for more oil to escape by.

When I got the new to me '98 RT, I never realized the cap had a specific front and back. The front fin being shorter than the back. There was some leakage that was noticed by another rider and I was then informed I had it on backwards. dopeslap.gif

No Leakage after that.

I'll try the O-ring on the cyliner head first. I definatley have the cap on properly. If it persists to the point that I can't take it, I'll consider the more permanent replacement option.

Thanks for all of the ideas. grin.gif

Archived