Heated vest vs. heated jacket

gfountain

May sound like a strange topic for August but cold weather is just around the corner (or up the pass)in Colorado. Interested in opinions about heated vest versus full jacket. I don't think I want to mess around with zip on/off sleeves. Particulary interested in hearing from people who have owned both.

You should have both the vest and something like the Gerbing jacket. The vest for spring, summer and fall mtn riding and late night then the jacket for winter riding.

Paul Mihalka

I started many years ago with a vest when that was it. I still have it, but have not used it for the last ten years. The jacket with a adjustable controller is the way to go. Warmth on the arms is nice. With today's materials they still pack small. When traveling, it is my regular jacket when I take off the riding jacket. They have built-in wireing with plugs for the day you want to go with electric gloves.

I have both types and the vest works OK but warmth in the sleeves is really nice when it gets seriously cold. I don't think I've had the vest out since I got a Gerbings jacket liner.

I started many years ago with a vest when that was it. I still have it, but have not used it for the last ten years. The jacket with a adjustable controller is the way to go. Warmth on the arms is nice. With today's materials they still pack small. When traveling, it is my regular jacket when I take off the riding jacket. They have built-in wireing with plugs for the day you want to go with electric gloves.

ditto. I did, in fact, get the newer G-3 Gerbing gloves and they are really nice. Expensive, but nice. The extra heat from the sleeves is great. One needs to wear a long-sleeved T or similar under the jacket liner though. The heated sleeves are too hot on bare skin.

I had a Widder heated vest when I started riding...thought it was pretty nice until the day I tried a Gerbings jacket. OMG...the Gerbings was 100% better (for me at least) and the Widder was sold within the week.

FWIW, you can order the Gerbings jacket with a separate circuit for the gloves. This allows you to plug the Gerbings gloves into the Gerbings jacket sleeves, but control the glove temp with a separate circuit. (This assumes you have a dual control of course.) The setup is definitely "cool beans." thumbsup.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif

I have a vest....the other day in Montana on a cold night Chris Olson let be use his Gerbing Jacket to get some Bologna.

I'll be getting a jacket before it gets cold...it was wonderful...

Whip

I first bought a BMW vest, and the next season a Gerbings jacket liner.

I lend the vest out to people I ride with that don't have heated gear.

On occasion, I lend the jacket liner out to people who have vests so they can see what they're missing. Then I take it back <s>.

I've never had a vest, mainly because I saw a thread like this before I made a purchase and chose a jacket instead.

Next question is "Which brand?" I chose Warm & Safe. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. If you poke around on their site and register, you can find a way to save a few bux off their list pricing, making the cost competitive with, if not less than, what you're likely to find for Gerbing or Widder.

And, get the controller. More bux, but well worth it to be able to dial in comfort vs. the freeze-thaw cycle without a controller.

Don't even waste your time and money on a vest. The Gerbing jacket with heated collar is far better. And it packs so small you can always take it along. I even wear it as a jacket when I travel. Under my 1-pc stich it is a real dream. Can extend your riding season weeks on both ends. My season here in Phila never ends, just watch that ice!

Stuart

You should have both the vest and something like the Gerbing jacket. The vest for spring, summer and fall mtn riding and late night then the jacket for winter riding.

What Henry said.

Archived