IGNORED

Death Valley MLK Ride Pre-Run November 10-12!

KMG_365

It's here! grin.gif

clap.gif The "Third Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Day Weekend Ride (in January) Fall Pre-Run Ride!! ( . . . in November! grin.gif )" clap.gif

Since we can't seem to keep this ride in one place from year to year I'm calling all brave, intrepid souls who would like to join Leslie and me for a Pre-Run Ride to scope out the latest options available for the group's January MLK Day Ride coming up next January. clap.gif

In looking at our calendar and taking into account the pending holiday season and wanting to put it as late as possible (since some lodging options are still in flux) to get as accurate a read on the logistics as possible, the date has been set for:

November 10th-12th, 2006!

Please set aside the date and respond here if you are interested in coming along. We also welcome any suggestions and ideas you have for making this January's trip another winner! We'll post more details in this thread as we work them out.

Who's IN?? thumbsup.gif

You DAWG! You doin' this without me?!? confused.gif Do I gotta have a bike to go? Who knows, maybe I will by then! clap.gif I'm puttin' it on my calendar anyways, mebbe I'll just ride out an ambush you on the way around Mecca cool.gifcrazy.gif Graydude's offered me his for any date but Torrey, so I suppose I could take him up on it, him not havin' reserved the pre-ride date. TBC.

I guess I could probably fit this into my very tight schedule. After all, it is for the good of the group.

And who knows, maybe I'll get a chance to ride an FJR while I'm out that way. Whip, are you listening? wave.gif

You DAWG! You doin' this without me?!? confused.gif Do I gotta have a bike to go? Who knows, maybe I will by then! clap.gif I'm puttin' it on my calendar anyways, mebbe I'll just ride out an ambush you on the way around Mecca cool.gifcrazy.gif Graydude's offered me his for any date but Torrey, so I suppose I could take him up on it, him not havin' reserved the pre-ride date. TBC.
Dude! I'm SO sorry-of course you're not only welcome--you're . . . THE MAN!! I just assumed you weren't hangin' here much since you got the . . . extra-extra large GVWR ride! grin.gif

Hmmmmm, I thought maybe Todd was going to go too, but if he doesn't have room for you on his bike, you KNOW you're welcome to ride bit--, I mean pillion on MY bike! grin.gif

(I'm sure Carole won't mind riding with Leslie! wink.gif )

Greg, Whip and Kaisr: That is TOO COOL!!!!!! I just LOVE the way this group just lays it all out there for each other! thumbsup.gif

TIGTBSMF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gif

in.

Lemme know the when and where to meet ya's.

Whip...spin thru Sin City and we'll do some BBQ the nite before. Naturally...you have a room here. thumbsup.gif

Edmondssss...I left that last place (Longstreet???) kicking, screaming and swearing I'd not go back. Since that time...I've relented in the thought that it doesn't really matter where I go, just that I go, and get to hang with my people. Put us where you will...I'll be there.

Greg...you can test thrash my FJR also. Maybe a taste test as to an 04 with Wilbers, a fork brace, Avons, etc against the new mondo badass unit that whip is babying around the countryside. eek.gif

Can't wait... LET'S MOTO

Tom and Gleno

Thanks for the offers ..I'll let ya know when we get closer...I hope Louise wants to go....we may make it the see So Cal trip as well....we have alot of new friends to visit...I hope Ya'll are listening out there.....

Whip

Tom and Gleno

Thanks for the offers ..I'll let ya know when we get closer...I hope Louise wants to go....we may make it the see So Cal trip as well....we have alot of new friends to visit...I hope Ya'll are listening out there.....

Whip

Hey Whip - San Clemente is always open if you and your Mrs. are passing through and need a place to stay.

Firefight911

In!!

And since we're all bike swapping, I'll offer up my ST for those who would like a spin on a purdy blue/silver, Wilbers outfitted, only driven by old ladies in Pasadena R1200ST. grin.gif

Just let me know the rally point details and how the accomodations during the trip will be done.

Greg...you can test thrash my FJR also. Maybe a taste test as to an 04 with Wilbers, a fork brace, Avons, etc against the new mondo badass unit that whip is babying around the countryside. eek.gif

Can't wait... LET'S MOTO

Gleno, you are way too cool! Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it next time we get together. A comparo ride, yeahhhhhh. thumbsup.gif
I hope Louise wants to go....we may make it the see So Cal trip as well....we have alot of new friends to visit...I hope Ya'll are listening out there.....

Whip

With all this bike swapping, home offering, ride sharing, man, I can feel the love.

Whip, if, no, when my house is finished, you two are welcome guests. We may even get it finished soon.

Oh MAN! Look at this AWESOME group coming together! clap.gif

Jamie "KMG_365"

Leslie "Les_is_more"

John "JB_BMW"

"Whip" (and maybe Louise, if we're lucky? smile.gif )

Phil "pdegnan" (if he can get his hands on a bike! smile.gif . . . and maybe Carole, if we're lucky? smile.gif )

Greg "flyingreg"

Thomas "azkaisr"

"Gleno"

(Working on! wink.gif ) Nancy and Gary "gottago"

Phil "1bmwfan" (and maybe Jamie, if we're lucky? smile.gif )

"Bill_Walker"

This is turning out to be a ride that will rival the fun of the main one we're scouting out for! eek.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Hmmmm, now we need to figure out what motels/towns we want to check out. I guess with this many of us, we could even spread out a bit to cover more territory! cool.gif

Damm Whip, how does a guy apply to get a job like yours confused.gif You an Mrs. Whip have been on every ride, every state and anytime the last year clap.gif Tell ya what, I'll work for half your pay, double the hours and half the time off to be in you shoes. Other than run 3 retail stores, manage people, order inventoy, make huge bank depositrs, what other qualifications do I need??

Graydude/Todd

Damm Whip, how does a guy apply to get a job like yours confused.gif You an Mrs. Whip have been on every ride, every state and anytime the last year clap.gif Tell ya what, I'll work for half your pay, double the hours and half the time off to be in you shoes. Other than run 3 retail stores, manage people, order inventoy, make huge bank depositrs, what other qualifications do I need??

Graydude/Todd

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . so are you "IN!" or "NOT!"??? grin.gif

(Phil wants to buy a new LT anyway! eek.gifgrin.gif

And we'd LOVE to have both of you on the Recon Ride! clap.gif )

Graydude/Todd

A new bike... that ones too big....and slow. wave.gif

and you can't take a day off between Sept 11, 2001 and Febuary 28, 2004.dopeslap.gif

and not ride a bike either.

Whip

... Kinda like the one he had...

Whip

OUCH! That had to hurt...

Phil, you can pick yourself up off the floor now, that is if you didn't duck. You had to have seen that coming... dopeslap.gif

Fine, fine, fine, laugh all you want.... but stay tuned. I may be bike-less in Aguanga, but not for long. In the meantime, keep havin' fun at my expense while you can. Paybacks are, well, you know.... And I WILL find a way to payback!

Fine, fine, fine, laugh all you want.... but stay tuned. I may be bike-less in Aguanga, but not for long. In the meantime, keep havin' fun at my expense while you can. Paybacks are, well, you know.... And I WILL find a way to payback!
Don' cha just LOVE peer pressure??!! grin.gif

Hi Phil!! wave.gif

Any general idea of how far in you may end up Friday night? In or near the entrance of DV or just staging somewhere outside? I'm playing with the idea of playing catch up to the group on Saturday morning since I can't leave home until O-Dark Thirty Saturday Morning. If it's something I can reasonably do I'm in. If I can make the prerun and the Jan run it's kind of like making up for not making it this past January.

Any general idea of how far in you may end up Friday night? In or near the entrance of DV or just staging somewhere outside? I'm playing with the idea of playing catch up to the group on Saturday morning since I can't leave home until O-Dark Thirty Saturday Morning. If it's something I can reasonably do I'm in.

I really hope you can make it! clap.gif

I have no idea as of yet what the schedule will be but stay tuned here for developments and announcements. Some things are still in flux and late changes in lodging availability may impact where we stay and when. There's a possibility of the newly remodeled Burro Inn in Beatty, NV re-opening as a Best Western franchise (they're way behind and should've been finished by now), but it's not likely at all that we'll stay in the Valley proper as the cheapest rooms in Furnace Creek for MLK are $140.00 a night and they all sold out about four months ago. tongue.gif

If I can make the prerun and the Jan run it's kind of like making up for not making it this past January.
I like that--sound reasoning! wave.gif

I've never been to the MLK ride, but had already scheduled a run over to DV for the weekend of Nove 10-12. How about that for coincidence. I'm booked at Stovepipe Wells for Friday and Saturday nights, so hopefully I'll run into some of you folks there. If my GS is out of it's coma at the dealer by then, I'll be riding it, otherwise I'll be on the RT. Looking forward to it.

Jamie,

Be aware that the Death Valley 49ers Encampment is November 8-12 this year. See details here . A zillion RV's and us "older folk" pickin' and grinin' and driving slow.

May be of no consequence, but Furnace Creek is loaded with folk as well as Stove Pipe Wells. The overflow camping area on the east side of the road at Furnace Creek will have about 3 thousand RV's. It is a fun time, and I'm sure the folk on this DB would love the goings on. Whether it would hinder a "hoons paradise" is anyone's guess.

Wagons_Arrival_01.jpg

But, anyone thinking of staying at the Furnace Creek Campground, or Motel, should call early to get space.

I'll be there w/ my kin folk, and listening to the picking and corny joke telling.

Yes and no. My wife Joan retired from teaching, I retired from California schools, but am now teaching high school west of Phoenix.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't forget to mark your calendars!! wave.gif

It looks like we're really going to need this November pre-run! dopeslap.gif

According to reliable intel from agent "flyingreg", the Death Valley Inn (previously known as the Burro Inn) in Beatty, NV will NOT be opened in time. crazy.gif

Please join our hearty, intrepid group of selfless souls who will scout the potential headquarters locations and help decide where we stay this January! thumbsup.gif

I'm still open to suggestions, and if you have other info, please post it here! We'll nail down more details about where we'll actually stay as the time gets closer and we make a few more phone calls. clap.gif

Stayed in Beatty on the way home from Torrey. Exchange Club still closed. Slept fine at the Stagecoach, except for sleep apnea boy!!!! grin.giflmao.gif

Third times the charm.

Didn't make it last year because Black Beauty was sick.

Didn't make it year before because x-wife was sick.

This year I'm coming if I have to push!

Count me in!

Cameron

I'm in unless Phil makes a quick RSVP! Tic Toc...
Hey!! Someone wake Phil up or loan him a bike! grin.gif

He said he was shopping again, but I haven't heard anything about how it's going yet. It's nice of you to offer Todd, but we'd like to have you BOTH on the ride and you would look positively RIDICULOUS riding pillion behind Phil!! Even THAT hippo is not big enough to hold you both!! lmao.gif

I'm in unless Phil makes a quick RSVP! Tic Toc...
Hey!! Someone wake Phil up or loan him a bike! grin.gif

... and you would look positively RIDICULOUS riding pillion behind Phil!! Even THAT hippo is not big enough to hold you both!! lmao.gif

I would have thought the arrangement would be reversed. DOH! tongue.gif

hijack...We are moving to our new home tomorrrow! Oh happy day! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

IN- any excuse to go to DV- leaving outta Lancaster-Mojave area on Friday headed to 395 Randsburg then thru the garden spot of the desert- Trona!!! Anyone coming this way I would like to hook up with you.Do we know where the meeting place will be yet? thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Okay, I am being a pest. I apologize in advance for being too German.

Have we figured out where we are meeting for the pre run? With the jamboree or whatever that is going on, I just want to make sure there are rooms. A quick check was not very promising just now in Death Valley, Beatty and Baker. You all have more experience in this matter then me but I thought it would be good to mention this now rather then be sorry I didn't later. Plus with me being out of the country for 10 days right before, I want to make sure I get a res in if I need to.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Okay, I'm sorry to be so late on nailing down the details here and I hope I haven't screwed the group by not being ahead of the curve (especially since it's getting so big now). My main problem is that I'm busier than a one-armed paper-hanger right now for work and my two wingmen: Phil "pdegnan" and "Flyingreg" can't make it. I'm really no good at organizing stuff like this solo (not like Phil and Greg, anyway). I did hear from Greg that the "Death Vally Inn" in Beatty (formerly the Burro Inn) is still on track but won't be completed until Jan/Feb, so that's out for the pre-run and I'd say for the DVD ride in January as well.

I would suggest seeing if anything has changed for the better at the Longstreet and perhaps giving Pahrump a try for one night. Last year's pre-run at the Longstreet was AWESOME!! Pahrump has better food options and easy (premium) gas, but they're further from DV and the town is bigger and more "generic". Pahrump has a few places to stay and with the "encampment" going on in DV that weekend I can see Beatty and the Longstreet filling up. I'm at work tomorrow and I'll see if I get a chance to call on my lunch break and see if we can get a block of rooms at the Longstreet and at Pahrump. The only option in Beatty is El Portal (he's got about 22 rooms which might not be enough for January), the Motel 6 which is kind of cheezy, and right next door to the Stagecoach (which is another Ringle property and is creepy with a horrible restaurant).

I'll try to get on it tomorrow--bear with me. I'll have to go back and add up how many we're going to be so if you've been on the fence be sure to chime in here or you might be reconning at the motel down the street! eek.gifgrin.gif

Give me a call on my cell today if you need some help. I am working out of the house after 2 this afternoon and can call if you want me to.

Dude you are never solo in this crowd. Just let us know what we need to do to help.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

The best DVD's in the past ..........have been in D.V. at the Ranch. Why not just book it there again and be done with it.

If you guys can't afford a room, camp outside by the golf course. lmao.gif

Give me a call on my cell today if you need some help. I am working out of the house after 2 this afternoon and can call if you want me to.

Dude you are never solo in this crowd. Just let us know what we need to do to help.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

+1

Whip

Jamie,

I don't think the 49ers Encampment will have much if any impact outside the immediate "Furnace Creek / Stovepipe Wells" area. Almost 100% RVers, with only the music "talent" eating up the Furnace Creek Motel, and little motel in Stovepipe Wells.

I certainly wouldn't think that anywhere in NV would be impacted at all.

I'll keep an eye out for you guys as you ride by..... bncry.gif If you see a somewhat chubby pedestrian trying to flag down a pillion ride, that would be me! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

if you've been on the fence be sure to chime in here or you might be reconning at the motel down the street!

Fence sitting here as I mentioned in the PM.

Archived