AutoComm. Spent the money so now the questions

ednap

G'Day.

If things go to plan I have a couple of what I reckon are major projects on my 01 1150RT this weekend.

All happening now because I'm preparing for a two week 2up tour later in the year and all will be easier to perform with the plastic off.

1. Install my recently purchased MCCruise cruise control unit. http://www.mccruise.com/

2. Install my Hella FF50 lights on Pat's EMP brackets (Thanks again Pat), operated via my extra inboard right hand switch block.

3. Install an AutoComm system.

I have a few questions regarding the AutoComm project.

I did a search and came across must be at least a million posts related to this wonder of technology. So I'm hoping someone out there will be a little patient with me and at least help me find any posts which already answer the help I am looking for.

The AutoComm bits and pieces are being picked up by a Mate (Thanks Uggles) and will arrive Saturday morning so even though I know what I bought I do not know what documentation comes with it.

My package will consist of:

Super Pro KIT300

Helmet kit by 2

BMW RT radio cable

Garmin SPIII Cable

Cell Phone/PDA cable

UHF cable

PTT button & cable

Ipod cable

I think that’s about it.

So my main questions are:

It is my intention to mount both the MCCruise computer module and the AutoComm units in the Duck Tail. Good idea or not?

Is there a good set of instructions (supplied) or on the forum somewhere, that show the best places to route the various cables on my bike?

Like I said, any help appreciated.

I believe autocom web site has pretty good instructions. Most important is the power hook-up. It is essential that you run the autocom ground directly to the netative terminal of the battery, do not use the frame. This solves many of the noise problems that are reported. You can get your positive from the fuse block or the tail light line ok but the ground needs to go to the battery directly.

I believe autocom web site has pretty good instructions. Most important is the power hook-up. It is essential that you run the autocom ground directly to the netative terminal of the battery, do not use the frame. This solves many of the noise problems that are reported. You can get your positive from the fuse block or the tail light line ok but the ground needs to go to the battery directly.
Thanks John. I have a slight dilema in that the MCCruise unit also states it should go directly to the -ve terminal and states it must be the only additional wire on the terminal. All others are supposed to be moved to an alternative ground. confused.gif

I'm sure I can provide a decent ground for both wink.gif

John Dickens

I got my Autocom just before I set of round Europe so I just fitted a standard plug and used the dash power socket for live and ground. It was perfect with no noise whatever. I was lucky I guess but I'm not recommending it over the usual advice to ground direct to the battery.

My package will consist of:

Super Pro KIT300

Helmet kit by 2

BMW RT radio cable

Garmin SPIII Cable

Cell Phone/PDA cable

UHF cable

PTT button & cable

Ipod cable

Let's review a few basics. The Super Pro AVi has four Aux ports, plus the Aux cable (for bike-to-bike). Focusing on just the Aux ports, their priority is sequential, i.e. Aux 1 mutes 2, 3 & 4, Aux 2 mutes 3 & 4 and Aux 3 mutes 4. However, Aux 5 (the Aux cable for B2B communication) mutes everything.

Aux 1 is where your cell phone goes because it is wired to Tx as well as Rx. Ports 2 & 3 are fine for music, or radar, or GPS. Since you probably want your Garmin to have priority over music, you'll want the Garmin cable to go into Aux 2. For music, you'll then want a splitter (#1317, which you don't list) into Aux 3. The Autocom lead coming from your radio (you'll tap those wires into your speaker wires to capture the music) will go into the B port on the splitter. Your iPod lead (which is a straight lead) goes into the A port on the splitter. The PTT cable plugs into the end of the Aux 5 cable, and the UHF radio adapter cable plugs into the end of that. The PTT switch gets zip-tied onto the left handgrip.

The rider's headset is where you'll want the Ambient Noise Mic. It plugs into the headset and is routed internally in the helmet, poking out somewhere along the helmet's rear base.

OK, that should do it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Joe Frickin' Friday
It is my intention to mount both the MCCruise computer module and the AutoComm units in the Duck Tail. Good idea or not?

Can't say about the cruise, but in the tail is where I mounted my Autocom. There is a flat steel crosspiece with a couple of inches of clearance above it, and that's where I wedged the AC; it's secured to that crosspiece with big pieces of Dual-Lock. All the wires point to the left side of the bike and are secured to the subframe rail with zip ties until such point as they need to peel off to go to their individual destinations:

-passenger headset plug is left free just behind the fuse box; I'll pull it up between front/rear saddle whenever I have a passenger.

-driver headset (and music input) is left free just ahead of the front seat mount. After a trip a couple of weeks ago, I now plan to snip a couple of zip ties on this to provide more slack so I can secure the plug to the center of the fuel tank so that it won't get caught under my leg while I'm riding.

-power connection wires stay zip-tied to frame rail until even with airbox. the wires weren't long enough, so I soldered in another foot or so. The "-" attaches to the ground rail of a fuse block on top of the air box (which then goes straight to battery "-"), and the "+" is spliced into the switch wire for one of my PIAA's (which in turn is connected to keyswitched power).

-FRS cable continues up to just below left side of fuel tank, where it passes through a small hole I drilled in the glovebox; I keep my FRS radio in there.

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

I have downloaded a couple of the installation manuals, these combined with the points made in this thread and a couple of PM's and I'm getting the picture.

The MCCruise computer is designed to go in the ducktail and comes with a foam support to mount it inside the metal shelf type area at the rear, so that's where it will go.

However I am left pondering two different approaches in relation to the AutoCom.

Some have suggested the Ducktail while others suggest placing it in the tankbag therefore avoiding the need to run many of the other cables under the tank in areas of high RF interferance.

I'm alsmost left wondering if the tankbag is worth doing as an initial trial but then it is a shame not to install everything under the tank while it is already off. confused.gif

....I'm alsmost left wondering if the tankbag is worth doing as an initial trial but then it is a shame not to install everything under the tank while it is already off. confused.gif

Ah, decisions, decisions. We'll just have to thrash it out on Satdy thumbsup.gif

Cheers

....I'm alsmost left wondering if the tankbag is worth doing as an initial trial but then it is a shame not to install everything under the tank while it is already off. confused.gif

Ah, decisions, decisions. We'll just have to thrash it out on Satdy thumbsup.gif

Cheers

I imagine a few beers will help in the decision making. thumbsup.gif

Archived