IGNORED

Alternator belt slap

PAZ

Can a failing belt slap during deceleration? My bike has a slapping sound when I come to stop or corner with the clutch depressed (only been going on for the last 200-300) miles. I have 42K miles on the bike and I'm not sure if the belt has ever been replaced (doubt it). I picked up the bike with 39K on it and I've been trying to catchup with all the Mx.

It's very easy to pull the cover and check. Also much easier to perform the check and replace if required when in a controlled environment.

I highly doubt the alternator belt is the source of the noise you are hearing. The alternator load, and hence loading on the belt does not depend on riding situation like cornering or clutch in/out.

The belt might be worn and needs to be replaced simply due to its age, but that is probably not going to fix what ever is casuing the slaping noise.

--

Mikko

Now that is more plausible.

With the motor not running (and no helmet + earplugs on) twist the throttle by say 1/4 of the travel and let go.

The noise the two throttle butterflies make as they hit the stop screws, if you imagine that replicated say 550 times a minute, does it sound like the slapping you hear?

--

Mikko

PAZ I just read your post on belt slap and saw thatyou just bought a 96 r1100rt. I'm in the very same deal Glacier Green 96 R1100RT 35K on it. From my reading herre I'd replace the belt. I looked into it for mine and it's an easy job actually. To get the cover off you have to remove the left side fairing bracket then you can remove the cover and replace the belt. NAPA has the belts even.

Cheers

Cruiser thumbsup.gif

Archived