IGNORED

Need help w/R1150RT Handlebar Removal...

RapidDog

I want to remove my handlebar/grip assembly from the cast handlebar. I'm backing out the one bolt at the top/center of the cast bar that appears to be holding the assy on, but it's taking more effort than I expected.

Is there some sort of locktite on this bolt or am I totally off track here? I don't want to strip it.

727439-bars.jpg.e406ca9bacb96c4c95e125d2756ede35.jpg

It is indeed loctite'd in place. Heat is the key. Take a heat gun (not a torch!) to the head of the bolt long enough (2-3 min.) for it to seep in to soften the loctite.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I want to remove my handlebar/grip assembly from the cast handlebar. I'm backing out the one bolt at the top/center of the cast bar that appears to be holding the assy on, but it's taking more effort than I expected.

Is there some sort of locktite on this bolt or am I totally off track here? I don't want to strip it.

Did this a couple of years ago on Knappy's bike. After the bolt comes out, the steel handle portion is still a light press-fit inside the aluminum riser. I can't remember exactly how I got it out, but heat was involved (the aluminum expands faster than steel). Two ways I can think of:

1. get a bolt like the one you took out, but a couple inches longer. Install it all the way until it stops turning (don't force it; don't want to mangle threads). Heat aluminum, pound on bolt head with hammer to drive steel part out.

2. clamp steel portion in copper-jawed vise. Not too tight, don't want to crush steel. Heat almuminum, twist/pull aluminum to work it off of the steel.

Whatever you do, you're going to want to wear some heavy gloves; the heat will readily travel to all parts of the aluminum piece.

For reassembly, you can use the original bolt to pull the steel part into the hole. Consider a touch of lube under the bolt head (but use only Loctite on the threads) to keep from galling the aluminum. Also recommend heating the aluminum prior to reassembly.

Archived