IGNORED

Is the Un response Underwhelming?

murrayg

I know the Un is not about numbers and I'm not trying to change that, but I can't help but wonder where is everybody? I wonder if the combination (not necessarily in order) of the following have lessen the Undraw:

Arkansas

Too long an announcement of event to the actual event

Late in the riding season

Several BMWST.com events all over the country

Reduction of Model focus

Not close enough to either coast

We are 21 days from early registration and there is just no noise about the Un. crazy.gif What do you think has been a factor in undoing the Un? I know those who show will have a time they won't forget. I'm bring it here and not the main board, but I think following the Un we are going to need to talk about what we should do differently. smirk.gif

Now having said that, "long live the Un." grin.gif

I wouldn't sweat it Murray. Registration is always a bit low until right before the event, and anyway, who cares? It'll be a blast either way - wish I could go... frown.gif

I took a poll, and the answer is clear. That pic of you on the main page is scaring 'em all away! grin.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

I wouldn't sweat it either (and I know you aren't)! We had a great time with 70 in El Paseo, and we're sure to have a great time with 110 in ES. Arkansas is a long way from California, so this is going to be a very different animal than UnOne. Very predictable and expected even.

Nothing to diagnose, really. Gunnison in the Summertime can't be beat. I hope we (as a board) continue the regional rides too. It's all good. wink.gif

1) Some of the California folks think it's too far. That's a great disappointment to me and in some cases (not the majority) I think it indicates a selfishness. "We'll come to the Un if it's near us, but otherwise we won't."

2) There's a snobbishness about how there could be any good roads in Arkansas. We will be missing the vistas, but the roads are to die for.

3) Last year was the big, first, yahoo of the thing. It's not as exciting.

4) We should have not worried about Mayhem. It was a mistake to plan around it.

5) It's been too long since the last UnRally and we've lost some steam.

6) We did it further east so that it would open it up more to eastern folks. I'm not sure the response has justified that.

7) I don't think the reduction in model focus has anything to do with it. I'd guess that it's actually been a draw.

8) Way too close to Torrey.

I'd guess that we'll have 125 in the end, which is about 50 less than we had last year. Personally, I don't care much, like Voodoo. It'll be a wonderful, wonderful time. smile.gif

Next year, we probably ought to just do Gunnison again. With that, Torrey, El Paseo, and Mayhem, we'll have plenty of things going.

We'll have fun regardless. But the first year was the first year. Isn't it typical for the 2nd to be a bit of a bummer. Then the third is a rebound? People burnt out a bit?

Also some comments in another thread about there being an "inner circle" on the board have me thinking... people some how not welcome?

Yeeha! Stephen

I don't think there's any hidden meaning. I think having it Mid-week and after school started are 2 big hits on the minus side.

DFW's local BMW club has an annual Fall Colors ES weekend ride every Oct. and it fills one Motel and spills over to another.

So I vote for "Mid-week" being a no-no next time.

I also vote to move it back to mid summer and the mountains.

Attaching it to either side of the Top of the Rockies rally would sway my vote for a mid-week get together. I sure had fun staying the extra days in Gunnison this year after the TOR.

Good comments all. I look forward to having this discussion following the Un on the Big Board. Now let's Party Like it's, Well we passed that didn't we? Than let's get ready to ride like we stole it. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep in mind, for next year, Top O the Rockies in Paonia, followed by BMWMOA in Spokane. Might be tough to have an Unrally mixed in there, too. On the other hand, maybe have a BMWST.COM section and bar-b-cue at the MOA, which is what Cary did 2 years ago in Redmond. No official Un in '04 could spark more interest in '05.

Archived