IGNORED

Bright 06 RT Headlight...

RT_Pilot

Ok, this one is a little weird. My ridding buddies complain that at night I have to be in front because my 06 RT’s headlight is brighter on low beam than a rack of KC’s on a Hollywood 4X4. Further I get flashed by every 4th oncoming car on any two lane road.

Anyone else heard this?

Anyone do something about it? Suggestions?

I laughed it off for a while, than about 3 weeks ago, I passed (probably someone on this board) ridding 2up through Sacramento I-80W on an 05-06 RT during the day, and them suckers were pretty bright alright…

My only thought initially was if the headlight aim is adjusted correctly?

I am sure you have read the manual about the headlight adjustment lever? wink.gif

As my scoot came from the factory, the headlight aim was a bit too high, even in the "low" position.

Found it, thanks Jeff, you’re a genius. Page 54… I would have thought it would involve some kind of NASA approved tool or something. Good deal. I love this place. clap.gif

I believe it has been decided that the manual is wrong about which position adjust the lights up or down. I have a brain like an etch-a-sketch (If I turn to fast I start over) so I might be remembering this wrong. I just parked pointing my garage door and flipped the lever till it was lower.

I think the picture in the manual is reversed and shows the adjuster on the wrong side of the headlight cluster. My headlight was originally adjusted too high (on the correct adjuster setting) so I had them lower the beam a little. I couldn't go more than a mile at night without being flashed by oncoming traffic. The adjustment is trivial with a phillips screw driver but at the time I had no manual so I let the dealer do it.

Agreed that the picture in the manual is incorrect... that the lever positions are reversed.

Even with the lever in the correct position however, mine did need further adjustment.

I just put reference marks on the wall of the garage for the headlight as it came from the factory, then proceeded to lower the aim of the light. It was trial and error afa where I wanted it, but oncoming cars are happy now, and I am now illuminating the ROAD, rather than the sky, and tops of freeway signs. smirk.gifwink.gif

Agreed that the picture in the manual is incorrect... that the lever positions are reversed. Even with the lever in the correct position however, mine did need further adjustment.

.... I am now illuminating the ROAD, rather than the sky, and tops of freeway signs.

Ditto on lighting the tops of road signs on low-beam. I was lucky and just had to flip the white lever (up high, left of centre, looking forward). Now high beam works too. thumbsup.gif

The only problem with using the adjuster lever to correct the aim is you have defeated its purpose. If you now load the bike with luggage and passenger causing the rear to squat and the headlight to aim up, you will have no further adjustment from the lever. It's a moot point if you don't plan to use the lever again.

I'd complained to the Dealer I bought the bike from at the 600 mile service that I thought the headlight was aimed too high, all like that Sir, blah blah.....

Just had mine in the Shop for it's 6,000 mile service, different dealer, complained again about the Headlight, the Bloke doing the spanner work actually spoke to me which I like, and he obviously knew his apples, told me that as well as the lever there's a bolt up in the left hand side of the fairing to adjust the Headlight, which he did. I know where I'll be going for my next Service!

The only problem with using the adjuster lever to correct the aim is you have defeated its purpose. If you now load the bike with luggage and passenger causing the rear to squat and the headlight to aim up, you will have no further adjustment from the lever. It's a moot point if you don't plan to use the lever again.

ah. But I've the (in)famous ESA, which with a touch of a button increases the spring preload when my luggage and passenger load up. Jacks the back end up nicely it does. The fact I can't touch the ground anymore is ... irrelevant until I stop. lmao.gif

I am still fuzzy on how I would know if the headlight were adjusted wrong. What is the "standard"? I don't get any oncoming cars flashing me, and the nighttime illumination seems very good, so I guess all is well.

Jay

I am still fuzzy on how I would know if the headlight were adjusted wrong. What is the "standard"? I don't get any oncoming cars flashing me, and the nighttime illumination seems very good, so I guess all is well.

To adjust the headlight, position your bike 17 feet from a wall. With you on the bike in normal riding position (bike upright, not on the center stand), get someone to measure the height of the headlight center from the floor.

Draw a horizontal mark on the wall 2 inches lower than the height of the center of the headlight. The headlight low beam has a flat top at the center of its pattern. Adjust the headlight vertically so the flat top is on the line.

Archived