IGNORED

Headlight Poll

Catbird

Headlight Poll  

426 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm simply curious about how others choose to use their m/c headlight while riding in the daytime.
There wasn't a choice for "high beam all the time". That's me. The only time I don't use it is if I'm stopped behind someone directly in line with their rear view mirror. I've always ridden this way with all my bikes. Anything that enhances my visibility I'm gonna use.

There wasn't a choice for "high beam all the time". That's me.

I have considered this approach, but suspect that it is quite irritating to oncoming vehicles, and I wonder if it is really any safer than the ample low beams on the RT.

Other opinions?

Jay

I used to use the highbeam during the day until I got my 1200RT, and everyone told me how bright the lights (lowbeam) were.

In Australia lights on all motorcycles are wired on all the time and it is illegal to use high beam all the time (it can only be used when there is no oncoming traffic/traffic in front, day or night).

Ian cool.gif

Sorry rusty, But where are your manners. while i owned my trucking co. I had an answer for the high beam all the time types. A set of hella rally motorsport hid driving lights. 2 mil. C.P. each was enough to remind them to please be polite. Those lights would burn your retinas in the daylight.

I've had my R1200RT for a little over a year. Up until now, I've ridden (daytime) with my low beam ON. As an experiment, for the past few days, I changed to high beam ON -- I wanted to find out if oncoming traffic would be annoyed (I don't want to do that) enough to flash me. So far, no one has.

Just for the record, my intent is to increase my visibility and reduce the chance that an inattentive driver will pull out in front of me.

I've had my R1200RT for a little over a year. Up until now, I've ridden (daytime) with my low beam ON. As an experiment, for the past few days, I changed to high beam ON -- I wanted to find out if oncoming traffic would be annoyed (I don't want to do that) enough to flash me. So far, no one has.

Just for the record, my intent is to increase my visibility and reduce the chance that an inattentive driver will pull out in front of me.

This is EXACTLY my experience and purpose. I have yet to be flashed by anyone. To clarify, at night I do not keep the high beam on, only when needed. But during the day, it's always on.

I didn't mean to be disrespectfull to anyone. But i drove the hi-ways as an owner operator with fed-ex for 10 years. and i was truly fed up with the amount of bad driving and ill manered use of high beams i saw on a daily basis. and it gets worse every august in south dakota. our state fills up with brain dead RUBS

(rich urban bikers) riding mostly harley's. and that is sad, as harley's are nice bikes. unfortunatley most of them do not ride for the ride itself. they ride mostly to show how thick their wallets are. cataloge chopper's is what we call them.

Jerry -

Rapid City... is it hot enough for ya out there? I just got back fom Sioux Falls last week and thankfully, the weather was great.

Anyway, regarding the high beam/low beam discussion, I understand your point. I'm hoping that if my high beam annoys, blinds and/or irritates other drivers, they will let me know so that I will know to resume using just my low beam.

My objective is to find the threshold where I'm most visible without disturbing the other drivers. thumbsup.gif

High beam, modulated, unless behind someone at a light. Also, Motolights. No one seems irritated by this. I am also a truck driver and am not bothered by motorcycles on high beams. I notice the difference when I meet multiple bikes on the road and some are on high and some on low. A lot of bikes on low might as well not even bother they're so dim. My .02 worth.

catbird: rapid has been way to hot. i think it has been the longest hot spell we have ever seen. i for one am ready to sell the house and go to the northwest. i'm tired of freezing then in one feel swoop sweating my butt off. seattle has seasons but much nicer temps between the hi and low seasons.

St0nkingByte

I've noticed since I got my R12RT that I'm way more visible than I was on my previous bike. I used to have people pulling out in front of me all the time on my cruiser with its one ripped-off-a-67-vw-bug headlight but on the RT it hasn't happened yet and I've put just about as many miles on the RT now as I had on the last bike. I think the stock R12RT lights are awesome and pretty darn visible. Of course BMW guys add lights like Harley guys add chrome so I'm sure we'll get a wide range of responses here grin.gif

I've noticed since I got my R12RT that I'm way more visible than I was on my previous bike. I used to have people pulling out in front of me all the time on my cruiser with its one ripped-off-a-67-vw-bug headlight but on the RT it hasn't happened yet and I've put just about as many miles on the RT now as I had on the last bike. I think the stock R12RT lights are awesome and pretty darn visible. Of course BMW guys add lights like Harley guys add chrome so I'm sure we'll get a wide range of responses here grin.gif
I notice you have a Piedmont Red RT as do I. I wonder if that's a more visible color and that helps other drivers see us. That's a lot of RED comin down the road.
I notice you have a Piedmont Red RT as do I. I wonder if that's a more visible color and that helps other drivers see us. That's a lot of RED comin down the road.

Less people may be pulling out in front of you because you now offer a larger profile for them to judge your speed by. Adding aux lights as far apart as possible would be another huge advantage. I doubt they see much of your red color from the front and red is actually hard to see, especially in low light, this is why many fire engines have gone yellow.

perhaps the drivers see the bmw coming and figure it must belong to a doctor or lawyer. and so they may have a perseption of us being able to sue their ass into oblivion with ease.

Less people may be pulling out in front of you because you now offer a larger profile for them to judge your speed by. Adding aux lights as far apart as possible would be another huge advantage. I doubt they see much of your red color from the front and red is actually hard to see, especially in low light, this is why many fire engines have gone yellow.

And, no matter what you do, don't fall into the trap of thinking that you will be seen. I wear a white helmet and hi-viz jacket, and run 200 watts of aux lights that form a conspicuous triangle with my headlight, and drivers still pull out or turn in front of me. I just assume I'm invisible, no matter what.

In Tennessee, the law requires HIGH beams all the time in daylight hours. I got my first MC endorsement there. However, when I'm behind somebody for a while, I'll dim.

I didn't mean to be disrespectfull to anyone. But i drove the hi-ways as an owner operator with fed-ex for 10 years. and i was truly fed up with the amount of bad driving and ill manered use of high beams i saw on a daily basis. and it gets worse every august in south dakota. our state fills up with brain dead RUBS

(rich urban bikers) riding mostly harley's. and that is sad, as harley's are nice bikes. unfortunatley most of them do not ride for the ride itself. they ride mostly to show how thick their wallets are. cataloge chopper's is what we call them.

Welcome to the forum but you can leave the cynicism to yourself please.

In Tennessee, the law requires HIGH beams all the time in daylight hours. I got my first MC endorsement there. However, when I'm behind somebody for a while, I'll dim.

Huh? I live in TN and got my endorsement here and have never heard of this. I'm skeptical.

Jay

Huh? I live in TN and got my endorsement here and have never heard of this. I'm skeptical.

Jay

You obviously missed that question on the written test. Doesn't matter to me if you're skeptical.

Jay

You obviously missed that question on the written test. Doesn't matter to me if you're skeptical.

Jack, I think we've already been through that in this thread, where someone pointed out to you that it is not, apparently, a requirement. smile.gif

I believe that in Motorcycle Safety Class it was suggested to use the hi beam during the day. First so people can see you and second so to low beam would not be the first to give up. I've always run the hi beam. Now I add the moto lights to that. As far as visability... well, A lady in a mini van drove out in front of a School bus (BIG YELLOW) the other day. I would assume that, had she lived, she didn't see it. So does the head light work ?? It worth trying at least. Jim

Archived