IGNORED

Techlusion question

Vrex

I'm thinking about getting a "Techlusion" module (the supposedly plug-in kind) for my '02 R1150RT in the hope of curing its moderate-but-aggravating surging problem. This bike is new to me and I've not been under the plastic yet, so I'm not sure what I'll be getting into. crazy.gif Does anyone know whether this is a reasonably easy self-install, and if there's anything in particular I need to be aware of? Any experience-based tips, hints or other thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

ShovelStrokeEd

Proponents will say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Opponents will say you can tune out the surge if you really work at it.

Others will say just ride around it if it is the typical, very light throttle 3K RPM thing.

They seem to work, installation is more or less plug and play with a little fiddling with pots, requires a voltmeter, on the initial install. No big deal if you have a good DVM and are familiar with its use.

I have never owned a bike that surged that I noticied to the point of annoyance, and would have to place myself in the ride around it group.

Alien_Hitchhiker

Lee, I installed a Techlusion R259 on my '00 RT a couple of years back. It is a straight forward 'plug & play' installation, although you have to remove the tank to get to the O2 sensor plug - or a least elevate the tank enough to get access to it.

It dramatically reduced my surging problem, which was terrible.. The bike still benefits from careful tuning, but it's like a whole different engine. I also run Autolite 3429 plugs.

I initially adjusted the unit to the factory suggested settings using a voltmeter. Later I dialed the settings back a bit because I was concerned it was running a bit on the rich side, as evidenced by the drop in fuel mileage. Haven't played with it since then, but if I ever get access to a exhaust gas analyzer I might give it another go-around - or if I ever gut the catalytic converter.

Bottom line: the Techlusion is a proven product which reduces, if not eliminates, surging and allows some degree of tuning the EFI function.

I initially adjusted the unit to the factory suggested settings using a voltmeter. Later I dialed the settings back a bit because I was concerned it was running a bit on the rich side, as evidenced by the drop in fuel mileage. Haven't played with it since then, but if I ever get access to a exhaust gas analyzer I might give it another go-around - or if I ever gut the catalytic converter.
Another option (at maybe another $100 in price) is the Power Commander, which will let you set a specific air/fuel ratio via your computer (and view the results in real time as the exhaust gas analyzer is built-in) so there is no need to play with pots and wonder what the resultant A/F ratio might really be (as with the Techlusion.) But either product will do the job.
ShovelStrokeEd

Only on a PC III and it is not an exhaust gas analyzer but rather, a wide band O2 sensor. I like the PCIII idea alot as, unlike the Techlusion, you can also lean the motor out from the base map. Ignition advance control is another option but that is far better left to those who know what they are doing. The piston eating demon lurks in that area.

I've been looking carefuly into one of those to help correct the dismal fuel milage my Blackbird returns. My only real complaint with the bike.

Only on a PC III and it is not an exhaust gas analyzer but rather, a wide band O2 sensor.
Correct on both counts. I just took a little license so as to match the verbage used in the post I was replying to in calling the ability to measure A/F ratio an 'exhaust gas analyzer', even though it technically really isn't. But regardless, the ability to read A/F ratio direct from the wideband O2 sensor does answer the primary pertinent question one has when monkeying with A/F ratio... i.e. what exactly have I done? That's one area where I don't like guessing.

And yes, only the PCIII supports this ability, but as the PCIII is the only model available for the oilheads I was considering them to be one and the same for brevity's sake. But good point and it should be noted that the above comments ate true only with respect to the Power Commander models for BMWs. Hopefully the PCIII will be available for other bikes as well before too long.

Have you considered having the Blackbird dynoed to see if it is really running rich? That might be the cheapest first step in trying to diagnose the mileage issue.

Do a really good tune up on the bike first. Meticulous valve adjustment, new plugs, TB sync. Then see what the bike runs like.

Too many people cover up a poorly tuned motor by throwing more fuel at it with a Techlusion IMHO.

Now that being said, I will concede that when, and only when, all else has failed, they can be the holy grail.

tom collins

you don't say where you are in ky, but if you are in northern ky, i have a friend who owns a bmw specific shop with certified techs and will install the techlusion and dyno tune it for you. he is also power commander trained, there is no better way and you will really get what you have paid for instead of guessing yourself. pm me if this is of interest to you.

good luck,

tom collins

Al Navecky Jr

I replaced my Techlusion with a PCIII. the only change i made to the base map(M916-001) was to change the closed loop from 13.8:1 to 13.6:1. It nocked at 2500RPM. the bike runs great. The PCIII does have a optional A/F gauge. this site as the best info on tuning the Techlusion i have seen web page . These guy had the best price on the PCII web page

Archived